Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > If it's not the battery causing 'old time?'

If it's not the battery causing 'old time?'
Gillfoto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2002, 02:32 PM

Basically I have a Beige G3 running a G4 at 466 (zif upgrade). Recently installed, actually immediately after installation of OWC Zif and new battery from them, and since then with new Radioshack battery (twice tested with new battery) the on oboard clock is either going back to 1904 or 1956. Any ideas?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2002, 02:34 PM

Try zapping your PRAM. The date will revert to august 27, 1956 if the battery is dead, which is the day I was born!

Gillfoto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2002, 02:49 PM

Hi Steve, Thanks for you input, at the moment I put in an old 1998 battery on rebooting it reverted to 1956, after trying my brand new batteries (OWC and Radioshack) where it reverted to 1904 on both occcasions. Here's the scoop I went into my 'Date and Time' control panel, unchecked 'set Daylight ST Automatically' and 'Use Network Time server', ( I flip/flop the ethernet 'Internet' connection between this machine and my wallstreet.

Well I seems to be keeping the right time and date after rebooting.

Time will tell, no pun intended.
~Ken
Born 1955, using Apple computers since 1986

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Try zapping your PRAM. The date will revert to august 27, 1956 if the battery is dead, which is the day I was born!

Gillfoto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2002, 11:07 PM

Okay the battery is dead as a 'Dodo', but 1904?
So when I put in the new battery(s) the date reverts to 1904, has anyone apart from the 'old geezers' since this date?

Cipher13
Sep 1, 2002, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by Gillfoto:
Okay the battery is dead as a 'Dodo', but 1904?
So when I put in the new battery(s) the date reverts to 1904, has anyone apart from the 'old geezers' since this date?
1904 is normal... it's the earliest the date can go back.

1956 is an indication of a dying/dead battery - 1904 is telling you it's completely dead.

Get a new one, and reset the PRAM.

Gillfoto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2002, 03:42 PM

Well it's Mr. Duffus here, after multiple times of inserting new battery resetting PRAM not neccessarily in that order, (Important point) it seems to be ticking quite nicely, the biggest pain has been unplugging all those cables at the back. Thanks for you input.
Ken

Originally posted by Cipher13:

1904 is normal... it's the earliest the date can go back.

1956 is an indication of a dying/dead battery - 1904 is telling you it's completely dead.

Get a new one, and reset the PRAM.
( Last edited by Gillfoto; Sep 1, 2002 at 04:26 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules