Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Software Update Glitches

Software Update Glitches
vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 11:06 PM

Apologies in advance if y'all have discussed this before, the search function's currently driving me insane by not working.

Anyway.

I've got an Albook running 10.3.2, and for the past few weeks (since upgrading and installing the battery update, now that I think of it) I've been unable to run Software Update at all. It will either crash on initialisation, or crash upon clicking "Update", but in both cases, I get an error message and no updates.

I've got dial up, and they're starting to pile up... any suggestions?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2004, 11:34 PM

Have you tried repairing permissions?

vcutag  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Have you tried repairing permissions?
Nope. How do I do that? (I'm at a disadvantage, both being new to Panther and the search function not working here...)

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 11:50 PM

launch the "Disk Utility" program - it is in your utilities folder (which is in your applications folder). select your disk in the window and you'll see the "verify" and the "repair" permissions buttons.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2004, 11:51 PM

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18282

download cocktail. you can use that to repair permissions.

vcutag  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
launch the "Disk Utility" program - it is in your utilities folder (which is in your applications folder). select your disk in the window and you'll see the "verify" and the "repair" permissions buttons.
Alright. Just did that, restarted afterwards, and still nothing. I'm starting to think the only cure would be to reinstall OS X, but I really don't want to have to do that...

It'll get to the point now where I click the button to begin updating, and it just "unexpectedly quits".

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by vcutag:
Alright. Just did that, restarted afterwards, and still nothing. I'm starting to think the only cure would be to reinstall OS X, but I really don't want to have to do that...

It'll get to the point now where I click the button to begin updating, and it just "unexpectedly quits".
a re-install should hopefully not be necessary. the next thing to try would be to see if the software update preferences file in bad.....try moving it out of ./library/preferences/ and see if that works (it'll be called com.apple.softwareupdate.plist)

another thing to perhaps try - do you have another user account you can log into...try that...it will determine if its the system of just your account.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

vcutag  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
a re-install should hopefully not be necessary. the next thing to try would be to see if the software update preferences file in bad.....try moving it out of ./library/preferences/ and see if that works (it'll be called com.apple.softwareupdate.plist)

another thing to perhaps try - do you have another user account you can log into...try that...it will determine if its the system of just your account.
Yeah, I just tried both of those as well... no dice. Thanks for your help, though. I just... don't get it. It asks for my password once I click update, I enter it, and everything looks to be fine, but then the program just unexpectedly quits.

Forum Links
Forum Rules