Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ok, what do I do when the darned thing won't shut off

Ok, what do I do when the darned thing won't shut off
Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 09:52 PM

I can't persuade my iPod to turn off. I know someone with the same model having the same difficulty. I tried resetting the settings, but no good. It also isn't shutting off by itself.

What's up here?

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 09:53 PM

Errr!!! After fiddling with it for five minutes trying to get it to turn off, and then finally giving up and posting here, I try one last time and of course, the damned thing obeys this time.

I swear, I live in a constant haze of irony.

Why would these things behave this way, anyone?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 01:46 AM

It sounds like you're new to the iPod world. Was the hold switch on?

iPods do freeze now and then (much moreso if there's a real problem, obviously) and must be reset.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 1, 2006, 06:38 AM

My Nano occasionally ignores my repeated pressing of the sleep menu item. Doing something else on the iPod and then telling it to sleep usually cures it.

Proteus4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 08:29 AM

When you restart an iPod from it being shutoff... should it be showing the Apple logo before jumping right to the menu. Or does it jump right to the menu?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 08:48 AM

The iPod normally sleeps when its display is off. If it sleeps for a while, it will turn itself off (which is really what you want to see because it means you're saving battery life when the iPod isn't in use). The Apple logo will be displayed when it is activated again, in that case.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2006, 08:56 AM

I don't know how to turn it off, for real, Apple gotta fix this issue. What I do now and then it's select the sleep option and when the screen goes black I leave it like that. but somebody told me that I gotta press a key combination like play and center to turn it off, and that way not works always... so, why instead of sleep selection Apple don't introduce a shutdown select???
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 09:47 AM

I love, just LOVE, those of you who are telling me how it's supposed to work.

Yeah, I know how it's supposed to work and it isn't!

Seanc, that appears to be the way to do it: keep fartin' around until it decides to listen. I swear it's like this thing has a mind of its own. But what'cha gonna do? Buy a zune?

These iPods don't have to work well...they're so damned pretty people would keep buying them even if they were completely inert.

Forum Links
Forum Rules