Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Selling Mac on eBay. Need advice please.

Selling Mac on eBay. Need advice please.
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2007, 09:17 PM

I'm going to sell my Power Mac G4 on eBay. I am going to do a Buy it Now probably. I really want the listing to look very nice and professional. Should I spend extra money on some features like more photos and a top page listing? I really need to sell this Power Mac. How can I make my listing look really nice? I've sold things on eBay before, but nothing this big and worth so much.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2007, 09:52 PM

Truth be told, it doesn't really matter, in my experience. People like buying from non professional looking listings because they think that the price will be lower. I always just go for plain text, for just that reason.

I do however add a whole bunch of photos. If you have webspace then you can host them yourself, without having to pay ebay.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2007, 10:25 PM

Hmm.

...report as spam...

...go to sleep...

...report as spam...

...go to sleep...

....report as spam...

naaah.

Good night.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 8, 2007, 12:32 AM

I dont think it really matters if you add extra photos; we sold the iMac G5 for a very good price and did'nt have anything special.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2007, 11:31 AM

Dude, all you do is make you design in your HTML editor and add it as your description -- no need for fancy crap eBay tries to sell.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2007, 03:50 PM

Agreed. You don't need the extra crap eBay sells. I usually get what I want - or more - for my auctions on eBay. Why? Good, large pictures, clear descriptions, and a little color.

Don't use eBay's photo hosting - it's limited and I believe they charge for larger pictures. Host on Flickr or Google Photos (picasaweb) or your .Mac account or something. Make sure potential bidders can see everything about what you're selling.

Give a complete rundown of the specs of the computer. While some people don't care about that, others do - cover all your bases. Set a Buy It Now price if you want, but also allow bidding. I never set reserve prices and always start my bidding at $0.99. Make your shipping quotes fair. If you do insist on setting a reserve price, don't make it ridiculously high - that will discourage potential bidders.

Good luck!

PS. For something this big, make sure to be extremely clear on your return policy, if anything. I sold a dead laptop to a kid that lied to me and claimed she lost her wallet (I was naive when this happened and bought her story like a schmuck), and I hadn't really specified my rules. FWIW, I generally give someone three business days to contact me with problems after the item shows up as "delivered" on FedEx's tracking site. After that, they're SOL. I also require payment within five business days after the end of the auction.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2007, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the good advice all. I'll be putting it up for sale as soon as I get back from Georgia then. I'm going to do a Buy it Now but with bidding. I do have my own website which I sometimes forget about, so I can use that for pictures.

Forum Links
Forum Rules