Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sony Ericsson P800?

Sony Ericsson P800?
jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2002, 12:59 AM

Anyone have one? Love it? Hate it?

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 28, 2002, 03:28 AM

All the reviews I have read for it say it is the most incredible phone ever to hit the market. By what I have seen of it online I would have to agree.

Don't think you can get one in Toronto though.

higuy83
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2002, 03:45 PM

I have actually been following this phone since its announcement... like everyone says, this WILL BE the phone to have next year.

Certain websites are already selling pre-commercial and commercial models of then phone (and most are legit). If you can snag one for anywhere from $1000-2000 USD, then you probably are looking at the real deal.

For more information on where to buy and for more information on the phone itself, the best mobile phones board is http://www.howardforums.com (its the MacNN of mobiles.)

Hope I helped and good luck...

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2002, 04:45 PM

Certain websites are already selling pre-commercial and commercial models of then phone (and most are legit). If you can snag one for anywhere from $1000-2000 USD, then you probably are looking at the real deal.

-Brian [/B]
The P800 have arrived to my local dealer yesterday. "streetprice" about 860 euro and recomended price of 960 Euro

k2director
Senior User
Dec 30, 2002, 12:32 AM

I MUST have this phone! I've been following it for about 6 months now, and the fact that it's finally selling in Europe and Asia and not in the U.S. is driving me up the wall.
My guess is that I still have a 1-2 month wait ahead of me. Plus, who knows when iSync will support it (though I can use Jag's standard Bluetooth Xfer tool), and which telecom carriers will offer deals.

Still, from all the reports and specs, it seems to be the phone I've been waiting for. My current Samsung i-300 Palm Phone is a distant second (partially because I haven't been able to synch it to my Ti 800 under OS X).

jules  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2002, 01:11 AM

I SOO want one too...but they're so expensive!

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 30, 2002, 03:29 AM

You can have a good look at one here:

http://www.mobiledia.com/reviews/son...800/page1.html

Harald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2003, 01:49 PM

I have one.

It is absolutely ineffincredible.

It does everything you can imagine, and a bit more. I wrote down my initial experiences in a thread over at AI if you're interested, but happy to answer any any Q's you might have.

ja
Jan 3, 2003, 01:28 PM

I MUST have this phone! I've been following it ...
I MUST NOT allow myself to spend so much money on this phone ... but from what I've seen -fantastic!

Vanquish
Jan 3, 2003, 01:54 PM

I SOOO do NOT want a P800 . It is *huge*.

k2director
Senior User
Jan 4, 2003, 07:11 AM

Huge? Perhaps you could say it's bigger than average, but 'huge' seems a bit extreme. It's not too much bigger than a t68i...

Vanquish
Jan 4, 2003, 07:33 AM

I know. I'll put it otherwise: it's too big for a mobile phone. A phone is only used to place calls nothing more. Games, internet on micro-screen, agenda, etc. are useless on a GSM. If you wan't all those extra's buy a PDA or Laptop.

Nephron
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
I know. I'll put it otherwise: it's too big for a mobile phone. A phone is only used to place calls nothing more. Games, internet on micro-screen, agenda, etc. are useless on a GSM. If you wan't all those extra's buy a PDA or Laptop.
I have a laptop and a palm, but I still want my phone to do games, internet, etc. I have a T68i, but would like to try out the P800.

Cheers!

k2director
Senior User
Jan 4, 2003, 08:35 PM

Agreed. I love the idea of a PDA and cel phone together, since carrying around 2 devices isn't usually convenient. And this isn't just in theory--I've had a Palm phone for more than a year now, and don't find all that extra functionality 'useless'...in fact, for me, it's essential! Add a digital camera, with the ability to quickly send pics to anyone with an email address, and wrap it all in a package that's no bigger than the Nokia 6160 I had only 2 years ago, and I'm quite sold!

Vanquish, I respect your old guard tastes, but I think you're part of a dieing breed. Within 2-3 years, most 'phones' sold will do *a lot* more than just place calls.

Forum Links
Forum Rules