Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Smaller XBOX on the way... Plus it lost twice as much money this quarter

Smaller XBOX on the way... Plus it lost twice as much money this quarter (Page 2)
Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 12:37 AM

you gamecube lovers need to grow up

i like the cube too, especially for my fav...sports games (boo-ya! NBA Courtside)

but X-box is no slouch. i have had my friends's xbox for a month now and it's slammin. i suddenly have a dvd player and a console...ll in one. also, don't act like xbox has no games. they have lots of freakin great games. my friend has 10 games and they all kick ass.

fo shizzle'

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by schalliol:
Does the iPod come with the headphones with the remote? yes? could they make that a totally separate add-on, sure.
Can someone tell me which Macs come with a three-button mouse?

Anyone?

The single button mouse is silly. They integrated three-button mouse functionality into OS X but you have to pay more for one.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:

i like the cube too, especially for my fav...sports games (boo-ya! NBA Courtside)

but X-box is no slouch. i have had my friends's xbox for a month now and it's slammin. i suddenly have a dvd player and a console...ll in one. also, don't act like xbox has no games. they have lots of freakin great games. my friend has 10 games and they all kick ass.

fo shizzle'
APU, it's all about Hitomi, isn't it?

Mike

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 12:43 AM

oooo. nice game
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 12:43 AM

What's your point about the one button mouse as related to the gaming systems?

Apple doesn't sell a two-button mouse and they don't make money off of those sales. The single button mouse is a design choice. It's been debated multiple times of one vs. the other.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Can someone tell me which Macs come with a three-button mouse?

Anyone?

The single button mouse is silly. They integrated three-button mouse functionality into OS X but you have to pay more for one.

Mike
Sorry, that doesn't really answer the question of why the hell the XBOX will not play DVD's withought a remote.

MS wanted another $30. That is the only reason.

Apple does not sell a 2 button mouse to make more money.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 12:48 AM

APU, it's all about Hitomi, isn't it?
HELL YEAH

by the way DOA is the best fighting game out there now too. it's not just a stupid bouncing titty volley ball game.makes tekken look stupid.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 12:50 AM

We need to grow up, and you're busy oggling cg T&A? Do you get a tan living in your mom's basement? Oh, I'm sorry, you just act like you live there.

BlackGriffen

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
We need to grow up, and you're busy oggling cg T&A? Do you get a tan living in your mom's basement? Oh, I'm sorry, you just act like you live there.

BlackGriffen

Griff Meister

you telling me you see a big pair of titties bouncing up and down and you'd rather play Luigi's mansion?

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 12:58 AM

you telling me you see a big pair of titties bouncing up and down and you'd rather play Luigi's mansion?

I would

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 01:06 AM

Griff Meister

If I had a pair of tits bouncing in front of me, you couldn't pry my eyes away. That cg **** is just so plastic though... I got it! You like the game because it reminds you of your girlfriend, only with more life than just inflating her can give, right?

BG

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 01:09 AM

Watch the hormones fly
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 01:14 AM

Apple doesn't sell a two-button mouse and they don't make money off of those sales.
Pick your words carefully. VERY carefully.

Apple DOES sell three-button mice at the Apple Store. So, not it's not an Apple-branded mouse, but Apple does make money from selling three-button mice; unless you think Apple's doesn't make a profit from what they sell in the stores. Hmm?

APU: I got tired of Tekken. I still miss the days of the arcades when I'd take on some self-proclaimed-hot-sh*t-teen and beat the living crap out of him with MICHELLE CHANG. I actually brought a guy to whack the side of a Tekken 2 machine doing that. Ah, Michelle.

Mike

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 01:19 AM

1. Size - personal preference. For me, it sits where it sits. It's not like I take my consoles out on a daily basis.
2. I don't understand this. It's DirectX (the 'X' in XBox). Where do you get "brute force" from? I've done XBox programming myself using the XDK. Have you?
3. It's a stripped down PC. No registry. No Mouse-based GUI, etc.
4. How the hell can you call Halo "Quake 2-3 with new features and new textures" and forget that Halo is a sequel to Marathon? Know your gaming history.
5. Again, personal preference. My hands are big and the smaller controller actually bothers me when playing SSX Tricky.
6. So? Sony said that the PS2 was going to be the "center of everyone's entertainment". Still don't see it.
7. One of the biggest complaints that I and other people have about PS2's service is that it's NOT centralize and you CAN'T find friends online. Have you actually TRIED XBox Live?
8. Lie. The PS2 and XBox are the same price.
9. So? Does the GC have DOA XBV? No. Steel Battalion? No. I like Animal Crossing (although I've gotten bored with it) and I have TWO copies of Zelda on reserve, and since I'm an old-school gamer I fail to see how the XBox doesn't deliver on games.
10. Get the XDK and get back to us.
11. Enjoy your GameCube. In the meantime, I'm going to play Ghost Recon with some friends online. Maybe I'll turn the GC on again when Ocarina of Time shows up in 2 weeks.

Maybe you should actually try an XBox for more than 10 minutes in the store sometime.

Maybe you can explain why the GC is BEHIND the XBox in sales.

Mike
hehe...alright alright. i see now you are the ultimate geek-game-god. a whole bunch of acronyms, which i dont even claim to know have been brought up. But yes i have played the xBox for more than 10 minutes....in fact been playing exclusively on xBox since september. (although.... i dont sit on a console for more than 5-6 hours per week, since i do have somewhat of a life...im not a big gamer, just so you know)....

1.Size does matter, and when it comes to digital technology.....computers, notebooks, cellphones, watches, etc...the smaller the better (for me anyway..i guess im more of a 'james bond' as opposed to 'mr.T') ).
2.Brute force = hardware... all PC components tweaked for gaming. NOT MADE especially for gaming......(an analogy......xBox = horse on steroids, GC = ferrari).
3. Those ports on the front are USB 1.1....with special connectors.....now what do you use to connect your mouse and keyboard), and i do know a couple of ppl who are using the xBoxes with Linux as web servers...... the potential is there for a reason, MS didnt just throw it in for shits-n-giggles.
4. My gaming history is limited to...the era between Mario(NES) - Sonic2(Genesis)....after that, i gave it up, didnt play on PS1 or N64 or saturn or dreamcast. As i mentioned before im not a big gamer. been playing whatever i can run on a powerbook.
5. so far youre the first adult to complain about the controller, almost all reviews say it's perfect for both kids n adults. And most reviews seem to agree with my opinion that the xBox controllers suck.
6. Sony said the PS2 would be the center......agreed.(even though i dont recollect it).....wait until the PS3 comes out w/ backward compatibility w/ PS1 and PS2.....it's creaping it's way to it's goal, but it's getting there. And xBox is even closer than sony is, cause they have the hardware to do it in the market place.
7. No i havent (my roommate has it, and ive seen him use it in SOCOM navy seals or whatever), but i dont want to have to subscribe to a single distributor. i think each studio should be allowed to have it's own buisness model and pricing for the online feature....adds a little competitiveness , low cost and better efficiency as the load is spread over a wider area.
8. Lie. it's OK to sell products at a loss to kill to your competitors with an inferior(all around) product, since you have wags of cash hanging out of your bung-hole.
9. Does the xBox have mario, zelda or metroid ? thought so. In the end a lot of the games are being released on most systems anyway. and seeing how MS is just buying up the good game studios, the other consoles might be out of luck.
10. get a life . Get with 'great' GAMES, and get back to us.
11. Enjoy Ghost recon.....which is so much more innovative in gameplay and graphics than the boatload of other war-games out there.
12. and oh yeah... ill pray that the xBox dosent crash on you. good luck.

why is GC behind in sales to xbox ? where did you hear that ? xBox has done terribly in Europe and Japan. whereas the GC has done fine in all 3 major markets.

[b]In the end, in any technological arena, it's the content that matters, and hundreds of fighting/war games, no matter how innovative their gameplay or what ingenius new way you get to kill, cannot ever equal the fun of games like Super Mario Brothers, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc[b/]
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Feb 4, 2003 at 01:25 AM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 01:20 AM

Starman: I think you're overestimating the number of people with fancy AV equipment. I currently have to patch my Cube through a VCR to connect it to my TV because my TV doesn't have RCA inputs. I don't give a rat's ass about digital out, 1080i, or any of that stuff. What I do care about is fun games, and I found the Cube to have more of them than the other systems.

APU: I don't know about you, but I have a girlfriend. I don't need to masturbate to video games. And who buys that one for the volleyball?

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 01:22 AM

Ok, ok, ok, but LONG before the Apple Stores existed the one button mouse was part of the plan and motivated by design and not sales of two-button mice.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Starman: I think you're overestimating the number of people with fancy AV equipment. I currently have to patch my Cube through a VCR to connect it to my TV because my TV doesn't have RCA inputs. I don't give a rat's ass about digital out, 1080i, or any of that stuff. What I do care about is fun games, and I found the Cube to have more of them than the other systems.
The topic was about how inferior the XBox was vs. the GameCube. If most people are using their consoles on 20" TVs using RF, then yes, most systems look alike. But don't compare all systems until you have the facts. It's like comparing a Porsche and a VW Beetle when the speed limit's only 35mph.

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 01:25 AM

Pick your words carefully. VERY carefully.

Mike
Forget this stupid mouse thing and you choose your words carfully when you explain why in the Hell the XBOX does not play DVD's withought a remote.

I dare ya.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster

Speaking of fighting games, all you adult Link fans will be able to get your fix with the GC version of Soul Caliber II. Pic:

IIRC, XBox gets Spawn, and the PS2 version gets Heihachi (Tekken char).

Oh, yeah, another GC advantage: You don't have to region mod it. All you need is a boot disc called the Freeloader and Japanese GCs will paly US games, and vice versa.

BG

starman
Clinically Insane

Ok, ok, ok, but LONG before the Apple Stores existed the one button mouse was part of the plan and motivated by design and not sales of two-button mice.
Well, HOW long? Remember, there were multi-button Trackballs from Kensington around '94. Single-button mice for Macs were the norm then, but multi-button needs started emerging.

Either way, the choice of words for the statement I replied to was incorrect.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Forget this stupid mouse thing and you choose your words carfully when you explain why in the Hell the XBOX does not play DVD's withought a remote.

I dare ya.
Is that all you have to go with?

You're just pissed off because your precious GC can't play DVDs AT ALL unless you buy that ridiculously expensive Japanese import.

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 01:32 AM

Is that all you have to go with?

You're just pissed off because your precious GC can't play DVDs AT ALL unless you buy that ridiculously expensive Japanese import.

Mike
Actually I have a 3 DVD players, and a PS2. I don't care about a DVD player but I am rather amused on how you can't answer the question and rather use your normal distraction tactics.

You are a Xbox fanboy, it is obvious.

I am not a fanboy of the GameCube or the PS2. I am man enough to ADMIT that the fact that the GameCube has no optical out is STUPID. And the 2 Disks thing is also STUPID.

The PS2's load times are STUPID and sometimes the framerates suck beans.

The fact that you avoid the question and actually justify the fact that the Xbox is huge, clunky and can't play DVD's for no reason makes you look STUPID.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Actually I have a 3 DVD players, and a PS2. I don't care about a DVD player but I am rather amused on how you can't answer the question and rather use your normal distraction tactics.

You are a Xbox fanboy, it is obvious.

I am not a fanboy of the GameCube or the PS2. I am man enough to ADMIT that the fact that the GameCube has no optical out is STUPID. And the 2 Disks thing is also STUPID.

The PS2's load times are STUPID and sometimes the framerates suck beans.

The fact that you avoid the question and actually justify the fact that the Xbox is huge, clunky and can't play DVD's for no reason makes you look STUPID.
What a hypocrite.

I'm the one always saying how technologically superior the XBox is, but them people say "well, you have all this fancy equipment...it doesn't concern me". Well, the DVD Remote doesn't concern ME so I have no opinion of it either way.

Get over it.

Mike

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 01:42 AM

I was not saying that there have not been Mac mice with multiple buttons, I'm just saying that Apple CHOOSES to provide a single button unit for design purposes.

They could have easily created a second button on a mouse from the 1st day PCs had multi-button mice.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 01:57 AM

The topic was about how inferior the XBox was vs. the GameCube. If most people are using their consoles on 20" TVs using RF, then yes, most systems look alike. But don't compare all systems until you have the facts. It's like comparing a Porsche and a VW Beetle when the speed limit's only 35mph.

Mike
I think as Mac users we're familiar with the concept of valuing things for more than just straight specs. The "facts" are that I and many, many people don't care at all about the specs you've been regurgitating at every opportunity. Evidence: The PS2's long reign as king of the console market despite having inferior hardware.

The XBox may be superior technically, but again, no one cares but you.

PS. Your XBox crusade has grown tiresome. I hope for your sake that you can find something better to spend your time on.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 02:27 AM

I think as Mac users we're familiar with the concept of valuing things for more than just straight specs. The "facts" are that I and many, many people don't care at all about the specs you've been regurgitating at every opportunity. Evidence: The PS2's long reign as king of the console market despite having inferior hardware.

The XBox may be superior technically, but again, no one cares but you.

PS. Your XBox crusade has grown tiresome. I hope for your sake that you can find something better to spend your time on.
So you'd rather have rampant ignorance than a conversation with facts. That says a lot about you.

Mike

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 02:48 AM

Starman, what are you arguing about/against ?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 02:51 AM

So you'd rather have rampant ignorance than a conversation with facts. That says a lot about you.

Mike
I think it says a lot about you that:
1. You assume that everyone else cares about what you care about, and
2. you care enough to browbeat dissenters into agreeing with you.

I'd rather have a discussion where we discuss what's relevant to more people than just you.

I could get a 2GHz Dell Inspiron for about the same price as an 800MHz iBook. Which one do you think I'm going to get? Your argument amounts to claiming the Dell as the better computer just based on its CPU.

Besides, you've posted the XBox specs often enough here that I doubt anyone's ignorant of them. It's just that again, no one cares.

Why so hostile, Starman? It doesn't help your case.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 02:56 AM

Mike
Oh....just so you know....
PC: P IVs @ 3.x Ghz w/ 500+Mhz FSBs
Macs: G4s @ Dual 1.42 Ghz w/ 167Mhz FSB.

Which one is better ? or to be specific....which one is superior ?
(for me a 1" thin PBG4 w/ a Superdrive running OSX is superior to a 4Ghz P4 briefcase running XP.),or better yet, for me a dual G4 @ 1.42Ghz is running OSX is superior to a liquid-cooled-dresser containing a P4 4Ghz w/ 533Mhz bus running XP).
But OBVIOUSLY(sarcasm) the dresser(PC) is far more superior with specs than the Mac.which leads me to ask you. Since specs matter so much, what are you doing on a technologically-inferior-computer forum ?

(and oh yeah..... 8 texures per polygon implemented in hardware IS superior to 4 textures per polygon.)

Thrax
Banned
Feb 4, 2003, 02:59 AM

The remote addon to the XBox is silly. They should have integrated the functionality into the unit. Really, to have to plug something in when an IR receiver is much less than a dollar. The remote could be an extra item I suppose, but a controller should be able to perform the basic functions. It's just another way that Microsoft tries to strip all dollars they can. Does the iPod come with the headphones with the remote? yes? could they make that a totally separate add-on, sure.
Or it might have something to do with DVD Video player manufacturers having to pay $20 for every DVD Video player they make.

Microsoft found a loophole.

Besides, playing DVD Videos on a PS2 without the remote is a painful experience.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 03:14 AM

The reason WHY i am skeptical of the xBox is.....

if it's so great as some here claim it to be. Why does a giant like MS need to sell it at about $100 loss inorder to stay competitive with, as starman claims, a technologically inferior gamecube. If it's so great, i think ppl would jump on them, and MS would be making a profit right now, like Sony w/ the PS2 and Nintendo w/ the cube.

I personally beleive that selling a product for prices lower than costs is just wrong. it's anti-competitive and can be used to promote inferior products(like windows)into the hands of the public. It would be like MS releasing a web brower for less-than-production-costs(or for free) than it's competitors, thus promoting it's adoption regardless of quality....oh wait.....they already did that..... and now look at the landscape...95% or the people online(Cnet number from recent article on safari) use IE. Thats called exercising monopoly power in unfair nusiness practices.

I know this is a slippery slope argument, but i dont want to own a Microsoft TV, cell phone, computer, gamesystem or have only MS internet services or an Microsoft airline *shudder*......
if MS is able to overtake Nintendo with this anti-competitivness, im afraid Nintendo's fate will end up being that of Sega's, and i sure as hell do not want that to happen.

Maybe a Nintendo/Sega merjer will be able to kick MS out of the gaming world.....hey, i can dream cant i ?

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Feb 4, 2003, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Starman, what are you arguing about/against ?
He doesn't even know. He just argues for the sake of arguing. The Xbox is perfect in his eyes and if you ask him a direct question about why something is the way it is about it he will just avoid the topic as you can see he has done in this thread a million times.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 05:44 AM

Well you can play DVD's on the PS2 out of the box, but unless you like sitting as close to the TV to watch a DVD as to play games you really nead the IR remote.

Thrax
Banned
Feb 4, 2003, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Well you can play DVD's on the PS2 out of the box, but unless you like sitting as close to the TV to watch a DVD as to play games you really nead the IR remote.
The Dual Shock 2 has a pretty long cord.

My complaint is that it isn't much fun using a gamepad for movies.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 09:24 AM

I think it says a lot about you that:
1. You assume that everyone else cares about what you care about, and
2. you care enough to browbeat dissenters into agreeing with you.

I'd rather have a discussion where we discuss what's relevant to more people than just you.

I could get a 2GHz Dell Inspiron for about the same price as an 800MHz iBook. Which one do you think I'm going to get? Your argument amounts to claiming the Dell as the better computer just based on its CPU.

Besides, you've posted the XBox specs often enough here that I doubt anyone's ignorant of them. It's just that again, no one cares.

Why so hostile, Starman? It doesn't help your case.
Err..no. If you need Windows, buy the Dell. If you need UNIX, buy the iBook. Comparing PCs like you'd compare gaming platforms is silly since there are way too many factors in deciding which kind of computer to buy.

Like I said, the Porsche/VW comparison breaks down when you have a limited speed limit.

Mike

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 09:57 AM

APU: I don't know about you, but I have a girlfriend. I don't need to masturbate to video games. And who buys that one for the volleyball?
GIMME A BREAK PEOPLE!

Griff and i are just joking around, and i am too for the most part about DOAXBV.

I do like the game, but i hope you know that this games is REALLY well made. I like the graphics AND gameplay, but yes i did get it for the T&A. Does that make me a pervert-loner who owns 50 blow up dolls and lives in my moms basement?

I don't need to explain myself to forum lizards, the people here who i talk to in AIM or know in real-life (starman!) know that i am a busy graphic designer who has a social life...a whipped social life but one none the less.

not directed to wataru, but are you defending GC or just attacking me for likeing a provakative and innovative game?

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 10:30 AM

GIMME A BREAK PEOPLE!

Griff and i are just joking around, and i am too for the most part about DOAXBV.

I do like the game, but i hope you know that this games is REALLY well made. I like the graphics AND gameplay, but yes i did get it for the T&A. Does that make me a pervert-loner who owns 50 blow up dolls and lives in my moms basement?

I don't need to explain myself to forum lizards, the people here who i talk to in AIM or know in real-life (starman!) know that i am a busy graphic designer who has a social life...a whipped social life but one none the less.

not directed to wataru, but are you defending GC or just attacking me for likeing a provakative and innovative game?
APU rules

Mike

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 01:53 PM

I was responding to when you said "you gamecube lovers need to grow up." It was more of a than a ; no offense intended.
Err..no. If you need Windows, buy the Dell. If you need UNIX, buy the iBook. Comparing PCs like you'd compare gaming platforms is silly since there are way too many factors in deciding which kind of computer to buy.
As you just pointed out, software is one of those factors, and, in my opinion, the winning factor for the GC. Most people can't use 1080i or digital out, just like most people don't need or can't afford a Porsche. The games are what's key, but from your constant specmongering you don't seem to understand that.

Regardless, I think we've both heard enough of each others' position. You enjoy your XBox, I'll enjoy my GC, and it'll be all good.
( Last edited by wataru; Feb 4, 2003 at 02:02 PM. )

hayesk
Feb 4, 2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by PJW:
You know, some of these anti-Xbox people are coming off as pretty annoying. They getting to be as annoying as the thousands of trolls who constantly predict Apple's doom week after week.
Yeah, whatever. IMHO, the XBox is a piece of crap, no matter who made it. It's big, ugly, and has crappy controllers and is surviving off of Halo and people who like a machine for the specs alone. With the exception of Halo, PS2 and GC have better games.

Would I like to see it fail because it's MS - sure. MS achieved their success through committing felonies - they deserve to fail.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 02:27 PM

Well, I guess it's going to be smaller now...

Beewee
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Thrax:
While I don't doubt this, I'll wait until a major gaming site confirms this.

Not that it matters to me. Between my PS2, 'Cube, and Dreamcast, I've run out of room on my TV stand.

Or your tv stand would crushed under the enourmous weight.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear;

fo shizzle'

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
M$ won't let the xbox fail. They have enough money to keep pouring into it for years. Usually it takes M$ three tries to get something right.
Check out these sales figures:

(1/13 to 1/19)
PS2 ends a streak of Game Boy Advance dominance, but just barely. The Xbox also manages a slight advance in sales, probably related to Xbox Live.

Hardware
Game Boy Advance: 59,201
PS2: 68,252
GameCube: 11,142
Xbox: 5,605
PSOne: 3,581
Wonder Swan: 1,645

Software Percentages
(1/13 to 1/19)
PS2 and GBA once again dominate. But check out Xbox Live coming through for the Xbox!

PS2: 51.3%
Game Boy Advance: 35.9%
GameCube: 9.7%
Xbox: 3.1%
Game Boy Color: 524

(Sales info obtained from IGN)

This is just in Japan, even if M$ pumps more money into this, they still won't be able to get any decent RPG's. (cept for DC ports) They might be doing fine in the U.S. (and that's with them giving 2 free games away) but I don't think they can ever get a strong hold on the gaming market as a whole. I mean how many DOAX games can you come out with? DOAXX? DOAXXX?!

Get real, sure it might be a good game but the audience they are targeting is the "social outcasts" or as I like to call them: "Gates' People." The last thing the narrator in the commerical says is: "Play with a friend...or play with yourself."

So if Bill Gates wants to burn his money fine by me, all of those "Xbox losing money" articles make me laugh.
( Last edited by Beewee; Feb 4, 2003 at 02:54 PM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Beewee:
Check out these sales figures:

(1/13 to 1/19)
PS2 ends a streak of Game Boy Advance dominance, but just barely. The Xbox also manages a slight advance in sales, probably related to Xbox Live.

Hardware
Game Boy Advance: 59,201
PS2: 68,252
GameCube: 11,142
Xbox: 5,605
PSOne: 3,581
Wonder Swan: 1,645

Software Percentages
(1/13 to 1/19)
PS2 and GBA once again dominate. But check out Xbox Live coming through for the Xbox!

PS2: 51.3%
Game Boy Advance: 35.9%
GameCube: 9.7%
Xbox: 3.1%
Game Boy Color: 524

(Sales info obtained from IGN)

This is just in Japan, even if M$ pumps more money into this, they still won't be able to get any decent RPG's. (cept for DC ports) They might be doing fine in the U.S. (and that's with them giving 2 free games away) but I don't think they can ever get a strong hold on the gaming market as a whole. I mean how many DOAX games can you come out with? DOAXX? DOAXXX?!

Get real, sure it might be a good game but the audience they are targeting is the "social outcasts" or as I like to call them: "Gates' People." The last thing the narrator in the commerical says is: "Play with a friend...or play with yourself."

So if Bill Gates wants to burn his money fine by me, all of those "Xbox losing money" articles make me laugh.
Kudos !!

Thankyou for the figures, i couldnt remember where i had seen them. And i do beleive the figures for Europe are on par with that of Japan. I wonder if it's a partial thing....seeing how xBox is American, it's more succesful here in the US, and the NGC & PS2 are Japaneeses, being more succesful in Japan. Either way, if there is an impartial judge, it's Europe, and from sales figures of PS2,GC and Xbox in Europe.... it's obvious which system is the looser.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 03:25 PM

No, sorry, the loser is you, the anti-XBox fanboy who will pretty much ass-u-me whatever he wants.

But, you want real sales figures from UK. Here ya go.

You want a hankie with this?

Smiles must be all around as UK hardware sales figures, week ending Feb 1, 2003, detail increases across the board

17:29 It's that time again when we check out the movers and shakers in the hardware world after a week of sales in the UK. And, judging by the figures, it's been a busy seven days for concerned parties, all next-generation consoles and GBA showing improvement as punters part with their hard-earned pennies.
Continuing to surprise us again is Xbox, lying in second place in the next-generation console rankings with sales numbering 5,499. Microsoft's machine has shown the smallest percentage increase, 5%, but sales figures put it ahead of GBA for the second week in a row.

Nintendo's handheld sold 4,308 units; a respectable increase of 16% from last week.

Despite a 7% upping in sales, GameCube still languishes at the bottom of the pile, managing only 1,780 units. This puts it in third place in the UK next-generation console rankings.

Residing at the number one spot, like the daddy, a lord of all it surveys, is of course PS2; and the crown looks like it's staying on Sony's head for some time. Week ending Feb 1, 2003, PS2 sold 16,661 units, an increase of 8%.

Here are the sales figures, in descending order:

PS2 16,661 up 8%

Xbox 5499, up 5%

GBA 4308, up 16%

GameCube 1780, up 7%

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 03:31 PM

Oops. Sorry. Ig forgot about this article that said that the XBox sold more than the GC by a factor of 2:1 in Europe over the holidays.

Kleenex available in aisle 3.

XBOX ENDS 2002 AS FASTEST-GROWING CONSOLE DEBUT EVER
Xbox Outsold GameCube By 2:1 Over Festive Season

LONDON, 20th January 2003 � Based on industry-standard, independent statistics from research firms Chart-Track (1) and GfK (2) XboxTM, the future generation video game system from Microsoft, has established itself as the clear number two player in the region (3). This makes Xbox the fastest growing debut console ever, against some well-equipped, long-standing competition with a great heritage in this market.

Chart-Track and GfK numbers for the 2002 calendar year indicate that Xbox has well exceeded the million-console mark in the UK, France, and Germany alone. This, combined with strong sales in the rest of the region, places Xbox well ahead of Nintendo's GameCube. Based on the figures from Chart-Track and GfK during the key retail month of December, Xbox outsold GameCube by a factor of 2:1. This phenomenal result clearly established Xbox as the number-two player in the region heading into 2003.

European gamers showed their support for Xbox in huge numbers with near sell-out sales of the console in the region. The Sega Christmas Pack from Xbox, a limited edition Xbox Christmas offer that included �120/�80 worth of triple-A games from Sega for free, also proved a winner with gamers across Europe. Many stores sold out of stock before Christmas.

"We are pleased that this Christmas was the Xbox-green we predicted," said Neil Thompson, Director of Marketing, Xbox Europe. "Our increasing market share is great news for us. The steady increase in Xbox gamers over the year proves our strategy of offering consumers exactly what they wanted has paid off - a well-priced console, with more power than any other console on the market, a killer games portfolio and a built-in broadband adapter for instant online gaming with Xbox LiveTM. The choice gamers had to make at Christmas was a tough one but the numbers show that Xbox was the first choice for a significant number of people. We are looking forward to seeing our number two position in the market going from strength to strength."

An Xbox-Green Christmas
"Xbox launched in Europe less than a year ago and our first Christmas in the region has seen us clearly emerge as the number two player. Xbox-only games such as Splinter Cell clearly demonstrate the advanced hardware features on the Xbox and have sold incredibly well," said Thompson. "Other games that have fired the imagination of gamers include cross-platform games such as Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, FIFA 2003, and Colin McRae Rally 3 � these titles have proved the Xbox Difference and enjoyed remarkable sales. Over 250 new titles will be available this year, so 2003 will bring even more must-have titles for Xbox.

"Consumers know that when they buy Xbox they are buying something that is offering amazing features and abilities that really sets Xbox apart from the competition," said Thompson. "A built-in hard disc, together with unrivalled graphics and Dolby 5.1 surround sound, revolutionary gameplay, and top-quality DVD playback, lets gamers get even more from their Xbox"

The Xbox Difference is further amplified by the advent of Xbox Live, launching in eight countries across Europe on 14th March, Xbox owners can look forward to the future of gaming, both online and off. The Live Test Drive currently taking place in France, Germany and the UK has been a huge success, with literally thousands of gamers signed up to participate and enjoying a unique experience.

Yves Guillemot, President, UbiSoft Entertainment, added, "We believe that this Christmas has really established Xbox in the minds of European gamers as a powerful and strong-selling console, able to bring to market some of the best games around, such as Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell. As a developer we believe that gamers can only benefit from this kind of healthy competition and the sales over Christmas indicate that gamers believe that too."
1) Chart-Track is an independent limited company producing weekly sales charts for UK leisure software and hardware every Monday afternoon based on the previous week's sales data (Sunday to Saturday).
(2) the GfK Group is one of the world's leading market research companies and provides sales figures for leisure hardware and software in Germany and France.
(3) See Appendix

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 03:34 PM

hehehehehe.....and with $100 loss per unit, they still cant manage to shove those boxes down ppl's throats.....lol i wonder if anymore ppl would em if M$ gave em away for free. lol

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Feb 4, 2003, 03:57 PM

Oh man I can't believe you guys are comparing sales figures again like fanboys.

If XBox sold 2 or 3 million units does it make the games any better or the unit any smaller? No. Do you guys have stock in Xbox or work for the marketing department.

Same idea with Apple, if they have a 2% marketshare or 50% does it make the products and whiter and prettier? No.

Forum Links
Forum Rules