Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 12" Soon: Get Ready to Drool

New 12" Soon: Get Ready to Drool
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2003, 09:44 PM

According to Macosrumors..

"Although the grapevine appears split almost 50-50 on whether this will make the cut for the upcoming revision, we have confirmed that a thinner (about one inch), and more feature-current (PC Card slot, DVI port, Gigabit Ethernet, 2GB+ RAM support with two SODIMM slots) 12-inch Powerbook G4 has exited the prototyping stage and is ready to manufacture, if that fits Apple's marketing and manufacturing timetables."

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 10:09 PM

I wouldn't trust MacOSRumors. They have been very unreliable in the pass.

I read it merely for entertainment purposes. I can't remember the last time that they were right.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2003, 10:22 PM

Seems *WAY* too elaborate to be true. If this was true, they'd hafta update the entire line just so their "low-end" PowerBook wouldn't outpower the "mid and high-end" PowerBooks.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jul 30, 2003, 12:11 AM

I don't think there will be
1. PC Card slot
2. 2 Ram Slots
3. DVI

It is just to small. There might be a DVI port, but can you have DVI & S-Video out on the same port? If not I don't think it will have it.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 12:19 AM

Uuh... where in the 12 diagonal inches are they gonna put all that and find the space to slim it down afterwards?

If you think the 12" has heat issues now....
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 01:17 AM

It is sites like MAcrumors that make most of all in here longing for that particular new model. However in the end they turn ot wrong. Those who were longing for it (some even already sold their's) are left annoyed and questioning Apple's sales strategy.

Let us all stop believing and following (almost blind folded) rumor sites in general, be happy with whatyou got and when a new Powerbook is released consider a new one at that moment.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2003, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by beachmark:

Let us all stop believing and following (almost blind folded) rumor sites ....
That is why they are called rumor sites and not on-line encyclopedias. Read them for fun. Read them to be inspired about what might be possible someday. Don't imagine that any of it will come true.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

macxtal
Jul 30, 2003, 07:24 AM

I don't think there will be
1. PC Card slot
2. 2 Ram Slots
3. DVI

It is just to small. There might be a DVI port, but can you have DVI & S-Video out on the same port? If not I don't think it will have it.
Ok.. if I hear this one more time, I'm going to scream. Have you ever used a 12" powerbook? Apple uses a DONGLE for the Video out. DVI uses -less- overall space than analog VGA. They're both on the same chip. There is absolutely no more space required for DVI.

You can easily have DVI and analog signals on the same port. If you look at a DVI connector, you'll see a space, then ~4 pins off to the side - those pins off to the side are there to optionally carry a compatible VGA analog signal. My GeForce 4200ti has a VGA port and DVI on the same card, and I very successfully drive two VGA monitors from those ports.

The lack of DVI is the result of one or two things, likely both:

1. Apple recycling a known good motherboard design in the right form factor, the iBook. This motherboard didn't have DVI, so they didn't change it.

2. Marketing decision to get people to continue to buy a 15" over the 12", because the lack of DVI eliminates the possibility of using an Apple display. Unfortunately, the huge success of the 12" PB means Apple is missing out on selling a lot of displays - the 12" would also benefit most from more screen space on a desk.

Synopsis: The lack of DVI on the PB12 has absolutely NOTHING to do with size constraints.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2003, 12:29 PM

Neutrino's all wound up :-)

Plus, give MACOSrumors, etc. a break ... they're getting their info from someone who doesn't wanna' be 100% ... can't divulge methods and means, or Apple will freak.

On the other hand, isn't there something to be said for all the gossip ... keeps up interest?

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2003, 12:43 PM

These guys are about as reliable as a Romanian PowerBook seller on eBay.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2003, 03:42 PM

Remember, any day now we will have dual G4 Powerbooks, with your choice of anadozied colors for the case.

Yeah. I don't trust much that MacOSRumors says. They just seem to guess way too much.

The current 12 inch Powerbook is actually a G4 iBook. The Powerbook team built the 17 inch, while the iBook team did the 12 inch. Hence the lack of a 15 inch update, there wasn't a team there to do so. Any major update to the 12 inch might bring it in line with the other Powerbooks design/feature wise, but it all depends on so many things. Apple probably waited for sales numbers first before deciding anything on the 12 inch. So if it is going to receive a major overhaul, one of the other laptops will now face the same neglect the 15 inch did this past January.

beachmark
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 06:10 PM

i tried the 12 inch today and i can only say that it feels like typing on a blown up palm. the screen has the size of a travel package make up mirror.

so no matter what speed it is going to be for me the screen is too small and that is it
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

BobK
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2003, 06:18 PM

All I need is more speed and more Vram- Don't care about the rest.

stilltron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
Uuh... where in the 12 diagonal inches are they gonna put all that and find the space to slim it down afterwards?

If you think the 12" has heat issues now....
There lots of room for something else on the near right hand side... i guess a PC card slot... check it out:

http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/PowerBook/index.html

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by stilltron:
There lots of room for something else on the near right hand side... i guess a PC card slot... check it out:

http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/PowerBook/index.html
Do you mean here?

Yeah.. like maybe a swappable battery and AirPort Extreme slot?

(note that the powerbook has been flipped upside-down so that the near right on the top pic is the near left on the bottom one)

[EDIT: added images]
( Last edited by Earth Mk. II; Jul 30, 2003 at 10:30 PM. )
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2003, 10:52 PM

My prediction...

G4 1GHz
1 DIMM socket (not enough room for 2, I've looked)
Gigabit Ethernet
NO PCMCIA (too cramped in there)
1 FW 800 port (you can use an 800 to 400 adapter)
2 USB 2.0 ports
DVI (doesn't take up any more room really)
ATI Mobility 9x00 or Nvidia Go 5600 w/ 64MB
1" high (ok, maybe not, but it would be nice)

This, I think, isn't much of a reach and none would interfere with it's size.

BTW, aren't there a couple companies coming out with PCMCIA readers that attach via FW or USB? Not just flash card readers, but full external PCMCIA adapters?

i tried the 12 inch today and i can only say that it feels like typing on a blown up palm. the screen has the size of a travel package make up mirror.
Wow, you wouldn't have been able to handle mobile computing at all in the`90s. 12.1" was HUGE! I remember seeing the first Compaq Armada with a 12 inch display... My reaction was, "HOLY SH@T!! That display's a f@%*ing monster!".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

stilltron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2003, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
Do you mean here?

Yeah.. like maybe a swappable battery and AirPort Extreme slot?

(note that the powerbook has been flipped upside-down so that the near right on the top pic is the near left on the bottom one)

[EDIT: added images]
err... yeah. who needs a battery anyway. (ahem).

Forum Links
Forum Rules