Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 10.2.8 hosed, need help

10.2.8 hosed, need help
djohnson
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2003, 10:41 AM

Ok here is my problem. I rebooted and now 10.2.8 will not come up... Never had any problems before this. I booted into verbose mode and everything is failing... This really sucks. Anyone know of a utility I can run in os 9.2 that will fix a 10.2.8 disk? I managed to backup all of the information so reinstalling wont be a problem. I wish I didnt have to though. Maybe it is just a good excuse for moving to 10.3 once I get it? Any ideas?

dagaz
Nov 13, 2003, 04:36 PM

Have you tried these:

zap PRAM
reset firmware
run fsck

?
Not compatible with Windows

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Ok here is my problem. I rebooted and now 10.2.8 will not come up... Never had any problems before this. I booted into verbose mode and everything is failing... This really sucks. Anyone know of a utility I can run in os 9.2 that will fix a 10.2.8 disk? I managed to backup all of the information so reinstalling wont be a problem. I wish I didnt have to though. Maybe it is just a good excuse for moving to 10.3 once I get it? Any ideas?
When you say 'won't come up', what do you actually see? Blue screen, Startup screen, flashing '?'...

Depending on the answer, you may be able to get away without a full reinstall, but after usuing 10.3 for the last month, Panther sure is tempting...

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 10:39 AM

Ok here is exactly what is happening:

Boot into OS X - hangs on grey screen w/ Apple
Boot into OS X verbose - everything fails to load

I checked the disc w/ my 10.1 disc (cant find my 10.2...) and it said there was a node error. Any ideas how to fix it?

BobK
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 12:13 PM

put your 10.2 disk and do a clean install. Select perserve users and groups.
This has worked great for me. Do it to hosed 10.2 atleast once a month.
I would move to 10.3 anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules