Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > very old mac !!!!

very old mac !!!!
lolonice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 04:59 AM

I everybody!!!!!
someone give me a very old mac "quadra 700"
Before switch on it, i would like to known what's is possible to do with it
I can read floppy disq only
thanks for your answers

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 09:06 AM

You can do word processing... theoretically, you could get on the internet, but you have three problems: the animations on websites are processor intensive, you'll have to get an OS for it that supports TCP/IP--7.6 or later, and the web browsers probably haven't been compiled for 68k in a LONG time.

It's not a very useful computer any more.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 2, 2005, 12:35 PM

He could run Spectre or Hellcats.... maybe. Definitely be able to run Warlords on that thing. Sweet games.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 01:30 PM

Don't forget SimEarth! That's one of the main reasons I got a Mac TV. For a game that was a fun as that one, I sure learned a hell of a lot.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

new newton
Banned
Mar 3, 2005, 12:51 AM

Detrius... man, all those certifications are going to waste. TCP/IP is most definitely possible on pre-7.6 systems. It wasn't a joy to configure, but it wasn't horrid either. Apple used to make the older versions of System 7 available as a free download. I don't know if they're available anymore.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 01:00 AM

This site is your money maker. Download at will and revel in the old school feel. I do so every now and again.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Zoro
Mar 3, 2005, 06:22 AM

You can also go the NetBSD (mac68k) route, and enjoy Un*x !

BobK
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2005, 12:29 PM

door stop!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 03:36 PM

www.LowEndMac.com

Consider joining the QuadList mailing list.

If a mac plus can run as a webserver your Quadra can easily do email and word processing. Your probably going to want a 10baseT transeiver that plugs into the AUII <...> port to get ethernat capability. Heck find a copy of Borlands Think C and do a little software development. Beats the heck out of the IIc I cut my teeth on in college.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by new newton:
Detrius... man, all those certifications are going to waste. TCP/IP is most definitely possible on pre-7.6 systems. It wasn't a joy to configure, but it wasn't horrid either. Apple used to make the older versions of System 7 available as a free download. I don't know if they're available anymore.
They are still available. However, if I remember correctly, Netscape 4.7 requires 7.6 or later. That's old enough to have serious problems with many websites. Yes, there was MacTCP on 7.5. However, any web browser that is going to run on 7.5 is a complete waste of time now.

With respect to the certifications, though, OS 9 is considered to be irrelevant now.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Zoro:
You can also go the NetBSD (mac68k) route, and enjoy Un*x !
There we go! Maybe you can compile Mozilla on it over a month or so!

new newton
Banned
Mar 3, 2005, 11:10 PM

It was available prior to 7.5. You must be a young'in. How do you think we did things in the good old days?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 12:41 AM

Install NetBSD on that puppy and rock and roll. Use lynx for your browser. You can probably get the latest version (which suprisingly works with most web sites) and you'll be set. This would be a great way to learn UNIX.

Which reminds me of my attempt to learn UNIX via Linux. I forced myself to use Linux only on my old Pentium 100 w/ 32mb RAM. That way I couldn't install the latest distros and run them in graphical mode. This forced me to learn it the hard/correct way and when I switched to OS/X I fortunately felt at home with the Terminal. x86 Distro of choice: Slackware!

Zoro
Mar 4, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
There we go! Maybe you can compile Mozilla on it over a month or so!
I have a quadra 800 (ok slightly faster) that participate in the PostGreSQL buildfarm.

It builds PostGreSQL from sources, does regression tests twice in under 6 houres !

Building perl takes longer (more like a day and a half....), but you can find binary packages !!

lolonice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2005, 12:29 PM

thanks to everybody for your help
now it's time for me to translate your answers
and hope to read you in another post
best regards from France.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2005, 02:27 PM

MacTCP was available even for System 6 as a non-free software package. I think it was $80 or so. The initial versions of System 7 didn't include MacTCP for free either. 7.5 certainly had it. I can't remember if that's when it was replaced with OpenTransport or not. I do remember 7.5 being quite unstavble though. My Quadra 650 crashed all the time.

new newton
Banned
Mar 4, 2005, 02:35 PM

If I recall, OT came with 7.5.3. I think 7.5.2 was for the original PCI Macs. It was a bit odd to have a real change to the networking in an otherwise minor update.

Squozen
Mar 7, 2005, 01:14 AM

Dark Castle, oohhhh yeaaaaah.

P
Mar 12, 2005, 05:45 PM

MacTCP 1.x was available for really old system versions, at least 6.x. I know I used MacTCP 2.0.6 on System 7.1 with MacSLIP (yuck) and MacPPP. Still have the download path for Netscape 2.02 written on an envelope somewhere (I saved the stuff in the envelope).

System 7.5.2 came with OpenTransport 1.0 and required Open Transport - MacTCP and the old conrol panels no longer worked. Horribly unstable, until 7.5.3 came with OT 1.1 which fixed the bugs and also let you revert to MacTCP, at least on some machines. OT then continued to be updated separately, to 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. The silly thing was that 1.1.2 was released before 7.6, but 7.6 still came with 1.1.1 because the code freeze had come and gone. With 8.0 Apple cleaned up their act and OT beacme just another system component with version 1.2.

Well, what can you do with a Quadra 700? You can use the system it was meant for - 7.1. It does work with newer OSes, up to 8.1, but I'd recommend 7.1 with System Update 3.0. 7.6.1 might work as well, but all the 7.5s sucked. iCab works with 7.1, search Google if you need it. You can also use Maclynx or really old Netscape versions - . For email, there are old freebie Eudora versions or Claris Emailer from Apple. You could also find a lot of old games that don't work on modern Macs, but they're more for the nostalgia than enjoyment. Apps from the same era still work, of course, and old Clarisworks 4 or Word 5.1 can do most of what you need today as well.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2005, 09:30 PM

Go to www.ambrosiasw.com, the original Escape Velocity is an incredibly good game, and it runs on that thing easily. I did it on a performa a long time ago. Also, get Escape Velocity: Nova for a more modern computer. Any powermac should be able to run it, althoguh you'll want a g3 to run it without frame rate problems when a lot is going on.

himself
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 08:38 PM

I've got an old Quadra 840AV (albeit, not used in a long while) running 8.1... while it obviously ain't a speed demon, I think you'll be very surprised at how *ahem* snappy it is... it is more responsive (interface wise) than 10.8 on my TiBook. That being said, don't expect to do any Photoshop or heavy audio processing with that thing. For browsers, there is iCab as someone mentioned, and early versions of Mozilla that will run on it. There are plenty of email clients available that will do the basics, and it can even be integrated into an existing network... which leaves open the possibility of using it as a server of some sort. But yeah, general internet and word processing tasks should be fine.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

barang
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2005, 10:16 PM

I had a Quadra 363 till a year or so ago (when the power supply went dead. The best computer you could get. Spectre Challenger was an awesome game.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2005, 10:53 PM

I turned an old Mac Classic II into a clock. OR, should I say, it has a screen saver running all the time that displays the time. Its impressive and makes great use of its abilities. Plus its the most stable computer in my college dorm!

sideus
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2005, 01:24 AM

I have a Classic II, LCIII, and a PowerMac 7200 sitting in my closet. My favorite is the LCIII, it was a great computer.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
They are still available. However, if I remember correctly, Netscape 4.7 requires 7.6 or later. That's old enough to have serious problems with many websites. Yes, there was MacTCP on 7.5. However, any web browser that is going to run on 7.5 is a complete waste of time now.
7.5.3 included Open Transport. Earlier versions of the Mac OS supported MacTCP, yes, but MacTCP didn't support DHCP, so it's basically useless these days unless you're on dial-up. And even then, it's not the most user-friendly piece of software, so I'd say to go with 7.5.3, minimum. 7.6.1 is much better, but it's not freely downloadable, so I'd probably just go with 7.5.3.

For old games that don't work properly on new hardware, try Out Of This World and Flashback. God, I loved those games.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by barang:
I had a Quadra 363 till a year or so ago (when the power supply went dead. The best computer you could get. Spectre Challenger was an awesome game.
Do you mean Quadra 630 maybe? AFAIK, there was no Quadra 363.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sideus
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2005, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
...but MacTCP didn't support DHCP, so it's basically useless these days unless you're on dial-up.
Or you could just manually assign an IP.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
Or you could just manually assign an IP.
If you control the server, which is usually not the case with a cable modem, DSL, etc.

I suppose you could get a router to do this, but really, it'll be easier just to use 7.5.3 or higher with Open Transport.

Forum Links
Forum Rules