Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sprint PCS Vision - CF 2031 - Mac OS X - Will it work?

Sprint PCS Vision - CF 2031 - Mac OS X - Will it work?
rukiddin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 08:32 PM

I'm trying to get a Sprint CF2031 card to work on a Powerbook 17" running MAC OS X 10.3.3. I've been able to get other Sprint PCS Vision cards to work on MACS, but not this one.

Has anyone had any luck getting theirs to work? If so what did you do?

Thanks

Mike

Chulo
Jun 5, 2004, 02:08 PM

Call me ignorant but what is a Sprint PCS Vision Card and what does it do?

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by rukiddin:
I'm trying to get a Sprint CF2031 card to work on a Powerbook 17" running MAC OS X 10.3.3. I've been able to get other Sprint PCS Vision cards to work on MACS, but not this one.

Has anyone had any luck getting theirs to work? If so what did you do?

Thanks

Mike
I work at Sprint PCS. Not sure what you did in the past to get your previous cards to work but when you get a Sprint Vision connection card it will need to be activated in a PC notebook first and then you can slide it into your Powerbook and then in the network settings you just need to use #777 in the phone number box but no name or password is required.
Sprint's websight has a downloadable but unsupported modem script for the Merlin C201 card. Currently there is not one for the CF2031. Not sure if the C201 script will work. Maybe you can do a Google search.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jun 7, 2004, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
I work at Sprint PCS. Not sure what you did in the past to get your previous cards to work but when you get a Sprint Vision connection card it will need to be activated in a PC notebook first and then you can slide it into your Powerbook and then in the network settings you just need to use #777 in the phone number box but no name or password is required.
Sprint's websight has a downloadable but unsupported modem script for the Merlin C201 card. Currently there is not one for the CF2031. Not sure if the C201 script will work. Maybe you can do a Google search.
what kinds of speeds does one get?
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

dang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
Can you provide a pointer to that? Sprint's Customer Support Tier 2 folks don't agree. All I could get was "not supported, go talk to Apple" after about an hour. I was also unable to get Sprint's Customer Support to successfully review http://www.pcsvision.com/NVP-Online/...Downloads.html which says:
"I have a Macintosh computer; can I still connect to the Internet using my Sprint_PCS Phone?
Yes, but you need something extra�the Apple Modem Script. This script is a separate file that, when inserted into the operating system of your Macintosh computer, will allow your computer to recognize your Sprint_PCS Phone as a wireless modem. Using the Apple Modem Script, you can connect to an Internet Service Provider (ISP) or your enterprise network.
"

I actually had this working with a Sprint PCS Vision Merlin C201 aircard back in MacOS X 10.2, using the default Sprint PCS Vision dialer, #777 for phone number and my login/password filled in. I tried the same settings on MacOS X 10.3.3 with no luck. Also tried leaving out login/password with no luck. It does, however, work fine on Windows using the Sprint PCS Windows software. Any pointers, successes or other helpers definitely appreciated. Lugging a Windows machine around in order to get mobile is a drag.

Thanks.

-- DanG

dang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Sod Off Sadr:
what kinds of speeds does one get?
I've had the Merlin C201 under MacOS X 10.2 (see above) register speed tests up to 230kbit/s.

Forum Links
Forum Rules