Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Speakers for a G4?

Speakers for a G4?
RiSE
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2003, 09:49 PM

Im getting my first apple comuter (1.25ghz powermac G4, 1gb ram, 160gb HD)Im wondering what everybody uses for speakers? I dont really want to spend more than $100-$150. ALso does it come with a mouse? haha thanks!

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2003, 10:03 PM

Hey, welcome to the forums. Lots of people recommend JBL Creatures. They cost about $120, I think. Also, Logitech's offerings are excellent for that price range.

As for the mouse, yes all PM's come with one, but it is only a single button, w/o a scroll wheel. Coming from Windows, you may not like that, so you can always use a 3rd-party mouse.

Welcome to Macintosh!
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2003, 10:25 PM

First off, WELCOME to the MacNN Forums & to the LightSide of computing!

Seems we live pretty near!

Anyways, I'd highly recommend the Harmon Kardon SoundSticks + iSub for a truly "Mac-like" speaker setup...the JBL Creatures are pretty swank as well. However, for pure sound quality, I'd check out the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 system...I own these & use them on my PC and they're simply the best PC speakers I've ever heard, hands down.

As stated, it comes w/ a single button mouse that most consider useless; one of Apple's biggest fallbacks is their refusal to incorporate dual-button mousing. I'd jump on a Logitech MX500 (or MX700 if you prefer wireless mice). It's fully Mac-compatible & all the buttons can be assigned how you like.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2003, 11:19 PM

Monsoon PlanarMedia 14's - beats the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 in many ways. And you can get them for $130 or so shipped.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2003, 11:20 PM

From my personal listening, all of the speakers that are made for the macs are more looks than performance.

Ive used the Klipsch Promedia 5.1s (there is a new version due out in sept) and the Logitech Z-680s. i sold the klipschs in favor of the logitechs, becuase i would use the Decoding features with my XBOX and the Prologic 2 features wtih my mac (since it had only a stereo out). When i used my 5.1s, i W-cabled it, so that every channel would get a signal. I regret selling the 5.1s. they were clearer, MUCH more balanced (the logis are all bass even after i turn it down the low freqs down in iTunes AND the bass down on the control pod), and just sounded fantastic. The logitechs have some great features (though i still use the W-cable solution now, becuase PL2 doesnt sound great and doesnt use the rears much) but doesnt have the sound to back it up. The bass is everpresent and overpowering and completely bad sounding. the Sub just aimlessly booms away, while on the klipschs its purposeful and clean. the highs are the same story, really, with the klipschs just sounding a lot clearer.

If i could do it again, i would keep the klipschs. though my sennheiser HD600s sound pretty decent (though my MDD doesnt put out enough current to drive them, so i need to build a amp)

My last suggestion would be (since macs w/o the REVO have only stereo out) to get a reciever for ~200 (ive seen the denon 1803 for this price) and spend ~300 dollars on some nice refrence series klispchs. a friend of mine did this with his iBook and is really happy. for about the same money as the 5.1s, you can have a MUCH better, balanced sounding system. and if you want, you can add speakers when you get the inclination/cash and take advantage of positional sound (its bound t sound better on a denon than my 680s)

hope that helped.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2003, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Monsoon PlanarMedia 14's - beats the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 in many ways. And you can get them for $130 or so shipped.

Hmm...I'd hafta disagree. I own these speakers (and am currently listening to them) and as great as they are for their cheap price, I'd still pick the Klipschies if I had the cash. If you're strapped for cash, however, they are AMAZING for their pricetag and I use mine daily.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2003, 12:45 AM

Hey there!

I've got the Silver JBL Creatures and absolutely love them. I think for their price and size, they sound excellent. They look great with the G4 MDD too.

I purchased my first set for $80 online including shipping. I recently bought another set from a fellow MacNNer for my girlfriend's iBook.

You can purchase one from Amazon for around $85 including free shipping. Not sure if this deal still exists. The other speakers mentioned all sound great, but some of them can be rather pricey.

What are you primarily looking to use them for? Games, rock, jazz, blowing out neighbors, etc?

RiSE  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 01:12 AM

thanks for everybodys help. Ill be doing a lot of video editing on my computer but also playing mp3's and maybe a game once in a while. The Monsoon PlanarMedia 14's seem like a good deal.

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 09:39 AM

I love my silver JBL Creatures

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2003, 12:09 PM

Another vote here for Monsoon. I have a pair of MM-1000's which have a smooth balanced sound without boom or sizzle. Their dipole operation generates a wide, seemless soundstage which sounds more like live music than that produced by cone designs.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by RiSE:
thanks for everybodys help. Ill be doing a lot of video editing on my computer but also playing mp3's and maybe a game once in a while. The Monsoon PlanarMedia 14's seem like a good deal.
Don't forget that your mac can drive stereo speakers directly without the need for an amplifier. This is in my opinion the best solution. You just have to buy a set a quality speakers (midsize), and enjoy the music.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...0.5.8.3.1.13.0

Villa

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2003, 12:56 PM

Wow, thats pretty cool, actually.

how many watts can it deliver per channel?

Leonis
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by DBvader:
Wow, thats pretty cool, actually.

how many watts can it deliver per channel?
15W per channel I believe

I used that cable to drive my mid-sized bookshelf JBL speakers and it works great

Since I am very "picky" on style I went back to the Pro Speakers/iSub combo to match my SlowSilver� and Cinema Display
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2003, 04:37 PM

aww...i was hoping it would be enough to power a pair of klipsch refrence series bookshelfs (75-100 W)...it would have saved me on an amp.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 04:54 PM

aww...i was hoping it would be enough to power a pair of klipsch refrence series bookshelfs (75-100 W)...it would have saved me on an amp.
Well I don't know about the actual power it delivers, but trust me it is enough for bookshelf size speakers. Like Leonsis above, I use JBL speakers (2-way speakers, 6.5" woofer. rated for 125W), and it is powerful enough, without any distortion that i can hear (RTCW explosions are now VERY realistic to say the least!). I would still give it a shot.

Villa

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2003, 04:54 PM

Well, the Klipsch reference bookshelves are rated at 93-97 dB/watt/m (depending on the model) and I believe the internal power mac amplifier is actually 20W, not 15W.

So I'm sure the internal amp will be more than enough to drive the Klipsch speakers. Really, power ratings are silly things. Especially with Klipsch speakers which use horns, which get extremely loud; also I've heard of people powering the big Klipsch horn speakers with <5W super expensive amplifiers.

billybob128
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 05:55 PM

if you have a good home sterio near plug it into that

i do with my bose 321 and all i need to say there is that ill never buy any more speakers again

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

loh
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 06:00 PM

If youre lookin for Computer speakers, Monsoon Pm 14's. Thats all I have to say.
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

Number 6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 11:33 AM

Speakers? 3 years ago, I bought the HK soundsticks with my PMG4 400Mhz. Apart from sounding really excellent, they also look spectacular...! I will be getting the same when I buy my dual G5 soon (some would say a waste, given the G5's audio capabilities, but for me the sound quality is good enough from the soundsticks).

Have fun!

[p.s. re: your budget. The soundsticks are a bit more expensive, but you might pick up a pair somewhere that might fit within your price range]
( Last edited by Number 6; Aug 8, 2003 at 11:39 AM. )
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own" - Number 6/1.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 05:44 PM

I just went on eBay and searched for "flat speakers." I bought a 5 piece set for $30, four little flat speakers and a sub. Made by GE. They're great for most everything a dorm room would want to do. Even drowning out the loud room-mate love makin going on next door. Which is important.

urban
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2003, 08:57 PM

Is it true that macs dont produce 5.1 unless you add a 5.1 enabled sound card to it?

Cipher13
Aug 10, 2003, 02:18 AM

My Boston Acoustics BA635s rock.

Awesome system.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2003, 05:33 AM

"Is it true that macs dont produce 5.1 unless you add a 5.1 enabled sound card to it?"

yes, im not sure even how well (games wise, etc) OS X handles multi channel sound. until the Revo, there were no cards >2 channels. you can decode DD (and maybe DTS) with a special version of VLC and pass it along to the revo.

natan
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by urban:
Is it true that macs dont produce 5.1 unless you add a 5.1 enabled sound card to it?
I'm positive this will all change in the next 6 months. With the G5's having optical out standard, it's only a matter of time before 5.1 out on a Mac is available.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2003, 04:59 PM

yeah, but in what form? optical out can do one of two things. it can either carry a standard stereo signal or a digital compressed format (like a DD/DTS format) that has to be decoded outside the computer. If you think about it that way, then we are either stuck with stereo out, or every apple program will have to encode audio to send out to the reciever. thats not really an option as it will kill CPU cycles etc. the only solution for computer multichannel sound is the anlog outs we see in PCs (and the revo).

sure, optical outs in the G5 means that apple is thinking about multichannel sound, but if this is the way they are planning on doing it (and i dont think they are...i see programs like DVD player being the only ones passing the signal from the DVD to the optical out since it doesnt have to actually generate it.), then were stuck.

natan
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 05:02 PM

yeah, but in what form? optical out can do one of two things. it can either carry a standard stereo signal or a digital compressed format (like a DD/DTS format) that has to be decoded outside the computer. If you think about it that way, then we are either stuck with stereo out, or every apple program will have to encode audio to send out to the reciever. thats not really an option as it will kill CPU cycles etc. the only solution for computer multichannel sound is the anlog outs we see in PCs (and the revo).

sure, optical outs in the G5 means that apple is thinking about multichannel sound, but if this is the way they are planning on doing it (and i dont think they are...i see programs like DVD player being the only ones passing the signal from the DVD to the optical out since it doesnt have to actually generate it.), then were stuck.
Who said it has to encode multchannel audio for every application? Why not just certain applications, and the rest are stereo over optical out? That wouldn't take much CPU.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2003, 05:14 PM

um, yeah it would. the reason that DVD programs are able to send out the digital signals so easily is that they dont have to generate it, they just get it from the DVD and pass it out. simple as that. but, lets say iTunes were going to use that same technology, it would have to generate a decodable signal (ie AC3/DTS) that recievers can decode. so anything producing audio (you cant have 2 systems one for the digital stuff and one for the anlog, so it would have to be a one or the other solution) would have to generate this decodable format.

wouldnt work well. how PCs do it is a bit more elegant (or crude, depending on how you look at it), they have their own standardizations that dont take up many cycles that anlog 6 channel outs are able to put put (like direct sound extensions, etc). The mac solution (using digital outs) would only be confusing, hard on the CPU, and expensive for the end user.

i say make some mac standardization for multichannel sound that all apps can use and roll out sound cards with anlog 6-8 channel outs (and have the new macs have it built in)

EDIT: sorry, misread a bit. you can have some apps encode to the optical out and some not (thats what i think were going to see in DVD Player in panth)...but then what is the point? you would still need a reciever to take advantage of stereo sound? sound like an awful waste to me.

natan
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 05:28 PM

um, yeah it would. the reason that DVD programs are able to send out the digital signals so easily is that they dont have to generate it, they just get it from the DVD and pass it out. simple as that. but, lets say iTunes were going to use that same technology, it would have to generate a decodable signal (ie AC3/DTS) that recievers can decode. so anything producing audio (you cant have 2 systems one for the digital stuff and one for the anlog, so it would have to be a one or the other solution) would have to generate this decodable format.

wouldnt work well. how PCs do it is a bit more elegant (or crude, depending on how you look at it), they have their own standardizations that dont take up many cycles that anlog 6 channel outs are able to put put (like direct sound extensions, etc). The mac solution (using digital outs) would only be confusing, hard on the CPU, and expensive for the end user.

i say make some mac standardization for multichannel sound that all apps can use and roll out sound cards with anlog 6-8 channel outs (and have the new macs have it built in)

EDIT: sorry, misread a bit. you can have some apps encode to the optical out and some not (thats what i think were going to see in DVD Player in panth)...but then what is the point? you would still need a reciever to take advantage of stereo sound? sound like an awful waste to me.
It seems to me that the way Apple is marketing the Logitech Z-680's that they're currently planning on having an outside source do the decoding. I don't really think this is a bad idea - it'll free up the computer, and consumer DTS hardware decoding is not too expensive these days.

Jupeman
Aug 10, 2003, 05:52 PM

I guess I'm missing some of this optical out concern, and I consider myself a minor audiophile (I have my Mac hooked up to Paradigm Reference Studio/20s, a NHT subwoofer, and an Outlaw receiver and that all is just for my Mac... .

If you're asking the Mac to ENCODE 5.1 sound out of a stereo souce then you are asking the processors to do work. I think this is a waste of time because taking two channels and making them 6 is "fake" (except maybe the subwoofer out, you'd effectively be asking the computer to be a low pass filter, etc).

If you're asking the Mac to decode the 5.1, what good are ANY of its outputs going to be? It will need 6 outputs, therefore this isn't a relevant scenario.

If you're asking the Mac to simply output the 5.1 signal, it doesn't only have to come from DVDs. There may be future audio sources that have 5.1 encoded or 5.1 games. The CPU effort to output these is no more than outputting from that DVD, which is not much.

I'm excited about the digital outs for the future ability to play 5.1 games and simply for the better sonic clarity of digital connections. The latter isn't a huge concern when you're listening on $80 PC speakers, but it is fun to know that your sound is as clean as possible.

One nice bonus of optical cables is they don't pick up any electromagnetic interference. I look forward to the day when all our connections are optical.

2Ghz G5 order still showing "on or before 8/29/03"...

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2003, 07:09 PM

i have a pair of Z-680s that i use with my mac right now. you can take the stereo out that the optical will deliver at all times and use the PL2 mode on it (matrixing out the stereo into a simulated 6 channel set up on a frequential basis). If it detects a digital signal, it will switch to DD/DTS/etc... Thats a concievable solution. Problem is, the 680s arent very good sounding speakers (though im inclined to think apple doesnt care about performance of speakers the way they trumph their other speakers like soundsticks and creatures) and 99 percent of the time youre going to be using a stereo source anyway! Its an almost worthless situation. Games and things could indeed pass along DD/DTS encoded signals, but a whole games worth would be a huge amount of data. PCs handle it differently, and have a different format that is easier and smaller to stream to soundcards which 'understand' it. this is not a possibility for the mac, even if it used a smaller format, it would have to convert it to AC3 or whatever for the reciever to decode!

" One nice bonus of optical cables is they don't pick up any electromagnetic interference. I look forward to the day when all our connections are optical. "

i was under the impression that at longer legnths the signal fades (and that is why coax is a bit better), but i could be wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules