Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Should you wait first before sticking your hand in

Should you wait first before sticking your hand in
slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2003, 10:33 AM

...to the microwave, silly. With all that microwave radiation going on in there, I'm wondering if it would be best to wait a little before opening the door and reaching in after it beeps. Theories?
Lysdexics have more fnu.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 2, 2003, 10:46 AM

yes. and no.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2003, 10:47 AM

Are you THAT bored that this is the object of your attention today?

???

I dunno, why don't you try it 100 times and get back to us if your hand turns green.

Cipher13
Aug 2, 2003, 10:50 AM

Um, that's not quite how it works.

But I do recommend you stop placing your ear against the door to hear the 'ding' better, as it would seem you do more often than is healthy...

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2003, 10:51 AM

Actually radiation in the microwave isn't as bad as most people think it is.

If you're talking about pre-1990 microwave then you should move back around 1.3 miles

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2003, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Actually radiation in the microwave isn't as bad as most people think it is.

If you're talking about pre-1990 microwave then you should move back around 1.3 miles
Damn; no wonder I'm losing my hair!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

slow moe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Mine is a mid-1970's model made by Sears, and it's big enough you could put a turkey in it. My girlfriend's mom still has one of the first microwaves to come out, it was made in the 1950's or 60's, I think. It's actually pretty cool to look at, but I usually leave the kitchen area when it's in use.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by slow moe:
Mine is a mid-1970's model made by Sears, and it's big enough you could put a turkey in it. My girlfriend's mom still has one of the first microwaves to come out, it was made in the 1950's or 60's, I think. It's actually pretty cool to look at, but I usually leave the kitchen area when it's in use.
Leave the kitchen?! I would personally invest in a lead lined suit before approaching that thing... Or better still, a radiation bunker of some kind.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2003, 11:26 AM

Yeah, schedule a prostate exam... Those 60s-70s models are quite dangerous. Their "shielding" is equivelant to Reynolds Wrap. Standing near one is the same as getting a chest x-ray.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2003, 01:01 PM

I have been using a microwave for over 25 years with no problems!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I have been using a microwave for over 25 years with no problems!
What about that growth on your forehead? j/k
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:"it was made in the 1950's or 60's, I think. It's actually pretty cool to look at, but I usually leave the kitchen area when it's in use."

Does the emitted gamma radiation let it glow bluish in the dark (like an atomic power plant core) ?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

permanent68
Banned
Aug 2, 2003, 01:56 PM

My microwave is all brushed stainless.

Awww jyeeeeaaahhhh.

- Ca$h

JakeTuba
Aug 3, 2003, 02:56 AM

Well, I don't really know about the rest of you, but if I'm gonna stick my hand in anything I want to know what's in it first...

Ewwwwww... ... wait... that's actually kind of relaxing...

8 )
SMILE! God loves YOU! 8 )

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2003, 03:57 AM

our microwave burns a quart of oil every hour, roughly every case of popcorn. i have been contemplating giving it a valve job recently. but its still running strong

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:

Awww jyeeeeaaahhhh.

- Ca$h
ooh. very ikea of you.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2003, 01:57 PM

It's probably more dangerous going outside on a hot sunny day.

There's one thing I've always wonderred about with microwave ovens. What really happens when you put something metal inside?

MikeM

malvolio
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by MikeM33:
There's one thing I've always wonderred about with microwave ovens. What really happens when you put something metal inside?
A whole bunch of sparks and crackling noises, often followed by death of the microwave.
They used to have one of those dual-use microwave-toaster oven units in the break room where I worked. One day somebody put a frozen dinner in an aluminum tray into it, and didn't notice that it was on the microwave setting.
It's now in kitchen appliance heaven.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2003, 02:06 PM

"Put a grape in there and it'll explode" -Bathroom Reader

True about hot sunny day being more dangerous these day. The heat ray is absolutely worser than it was around 1990s

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2003, 02:18 PM

MikeM

Did you ever put a failed CD-ROM in a microwave? best put it on a plastic holder so you have a good view of the surface... Just a few sec's is enough, DON'T overcook you CD-ROM's

Anyways afterwards you'll have a pretty solid base contemplating what would happen to a fork or tray...
( Last edited by gerbnl; Aug 3, 2003 at 02:25 PM. )

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2003, 02:26 PM

If you can put your hand in, there is no radiation. The radiation stops when the door opens.

Chris

shanraghan
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by slow moe:
...to the microwave, silly. With all that microwave radiation going on in there, I'm wondering if it would be best to wait a little before opening the door and reaching in after it beeps. Theories?
Most, if not all, of the radition that went into the microwaves has now been transferred to whatever is inside in the form of heat. The rest escapes when you open the door, and radiates out diffusely and harmlessly. What would make exposure to microwaves dangerous would be, well, being placed under a constant source of microwaves for extended periods.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 07:47 AM

You do understand that microwave radiation is just electromagnetic--like light? When you turn off the light, the radiation stops. There is no residual radiation.

It's not like nuclear radiation.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 08:00 AM

MikeM
Light bulbs are where it's at...

Kilbey
Baninated
Aug 4, 2003, 10:40 AM

Awww jyeeeeaaahhhh.

- Ca$h
Brushed stainless is the "Harvest Gold" of the '90s

memento
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
You do understand that microwave radiation is just electromagnetic--like light? When you turn off the light, the radiation stops. There is no residual radiation.

bingo. And the frequency of that radiation is tuned so that it vibrates and therefore heats H2O molecules. You will not go sterile by standing in front of one.

Radiation from the sun is much more dangerous. When you get a sunburn, it is the same thing as getting a nuclear radiation burn. That's why people get skin cancer from tanning too much!
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 4, 2003, 12:15 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 17, 2004 at 11:47 PM. )

permanent68
Banned
Aug 4, 2003, 03:27 PM

MikeM
On older microwaves it would kill them. On newer microwaves it just makes sparks. Don't believe me? throw some tin foil in it. It will NOT hurt your microwave.

- Rob

permanent68
Banned
Aug 4, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Wait a sec. You're actually bragging about a micowave oven?
Uh... yeah! Instead of buying some white plastic piece of ****, I spent the extra $ and got one that looks real niiiicceee.

- Rob

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Yeah, schedule a prostate exam... Those 60s-70s models are quite dangerous. Their "shielding" is equivelant to Reynolds Wrap. Standing near one is the same as getting a chest x-ray.
Are you sure about that? Microwaves are many orders of magnitude less energy than X-rays. And sure you might be taking a hell of a lot of them (and the total energy absorbed might be the same) but I think all it would do is heat you up by a very little bit. Microwaves are not energetic enough to knock electrons loose and cause cancer and such. I would much rather absorb an equivalent amount of energy in microwaves as I would X-rays.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 03:49 PM

(David begins to sing the old hulk Cartoon theam song)

Doc Bruce Banner... pelted by gamma rays...

Kilbey
Baninated
Aug 7, 2003, 03:59 AM

Uh... yeah! Instead of buying some white plastic piece of ****, I spent the extra $ and got one that looks real niiiicceee.

- Rob
I repeat:
Brushed stainless is the "Harvest Gold" of the '90s

shanraghan
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by chabig:

Actually, it's just like 'nuclear' radiation, except the 'radiation' left by an atomic bomb going off is either uranium/plotonium or other radioactive elements from the core of the nuke that, through their decay, release alpha, beta, and sometimes neutron radiation, plus any other isotopes formed by neutron radiation.

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
Are you sure about that? Microwaves are many orders of magnitude less energy than X-rays. And sure you might be taking a hell of a lot of them (and the total energy absorbed might be the same) but I think all it would do is heat you up by a very little bit. Microwaves are not energetic enough to knock electrons loose and cause cancer and such. I would much rather absorb an equivalent amount of energy in microwaves as I would X-rays.
It might not be energetic enough to cause genetic damage, however if you were exposed to a microwave oven amount of radiation you would roast, as the water molecules inside of you would resonate with the microwaves and it would heat you up. It may take a few minutes for it to do significant damage, but it would do damage. A hot stove gives off only infrared radiation but it's still enough to burn you if you touch it.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 08:33 AM

- Rob
And I took the extra money, stuffed it in my pocket, went to wal-mart and bought a white plastic piece of **** for $30.

Then again we have a brand new white plastic piece of **** built into the kitchen in our new house (ok not "BUILT IN" but it's in place of the hood) and it cost us $300.. so i was kinda reluctant to blow money on something I won't need too long anyway.

I still stick with white appliances, frankly, they're cheaper.. still look awesome when new... and.. well... 10 years down the line your stainless steel refrigerator will be like fake woodgrain refrigerators are today.. make way for some new style to come
Aloha

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 08:44 AM

On older microwaves it would kill them. On newer microwaves it just makes sparks. Don't believe me? throw some tin foil in it. It will NOT hurt your microwave.

- Rob
But what about steel? Recently our friends told us that you can microwave steel harmlessly, and we've been doing that, no sparks and lightning bolts either. Who woulda thunk?

Hope it's not killing the machine though...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
IIRC, microwaves are in the same spectral range as RADAR, and RADAR most definitely *can* cause cancer. There are a bunch of former military RADAR operators currently suing the German army because of the health consequences of improper shielding.

Totally different magnitude, of course, and today's microwave ovens are properly shielded, but to say that microwaves are harmless or not carcinogenic is simply false.

-s*

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 7, 2003, 10:23 AM

Stainless steel is NOT the "harvest gold of the 90s." Brushed stainless steel has been around for decades, primarily in commercial and luxury appliances. Look in any commercial kitchen and you'll see tons of brushed stainless, since it can be scrubbed with steel wool without damage. It has been coming down in price, so now you see it in home appliances more and more. But it's just another feature of commercial products that has filtered down into consumer products, kinda how airbags started out in luxury cars and are now in every car.

tooki

andi*pandi
Aug 7, 2003, 11:11 AM

hmm. our new house has an old microwave. I wonder when they put it in... house built in 1964... if its original, is it dangerous?

Yikes!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 12:27 PM

Actually, it's just like 'nuclear' radiation, except the 'radiation' left by an atomic bomb going off is either uranium/plotonium or other radioactive elements from the core of the nuke that, through their decay, release alpha, beta, and sometimes neutron radiation, plus any other isotopes formed by neutron radiation.
In a sense, you are right. Nuclear radiation can include electromagnetic radiation. But the radiation you are talking about (alpha, beta, and nrutron radiation) consists of particle streams. The particles have lifetimes of their own.

But the microwave radiation in an oven is just electromagnetic radiation. It's exactly like a light bulb. When you turn if off, the radiation stops. That's what I was talking about.

Here is a pretty good description of radiation in general:

http://www.orau.gov/reacts/define.htm

Chris

Kilbey
Baninated
Aug 8, 2003, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Stainless steel is NOT the "harvest gold of the 90s." Brushed stainless steel has been around for decades, primarily in commercial and luxury appliances. Look in any commercial kitchen and you'll see tons of brushed stainless, since it can be scrubbed with steel wool without damage. It has been coming down in price, so now you see it in home appliances more and more. But it's just another feature of commercial products that has filtered down into consumer products, kinda how airbags started out in luxury cars and are now in every car.

tooki
Deny it all you want.

If you look at all the kitchen design books right now you see old style bold-colored porcelain coated appliances. not a stainless steel one to be seen.

Just because industry has been using it, and consumers adopted it for a while, doesn't mean it isn't a passing fad. When you can buy a stainless steel coated anything at Big Lots you know it is long out of fashion.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2003, 02:28 PM

You could always purchase a brushed stainless steel microwave to match your new Power Mac G5!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules