Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disconcerting doesn't begin to describe this

Disconcerting doesn't begin to describe this
trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 01:58 PM

I've had three kernel panics in as many weeks. Each time, it has failed to log the panic in the panic log, meaning that it left no trace of what was wrong... just told me to restart and assumed that magically the problem would fix itself without the user being provided any information as to what is wrong!

I'm running OS X Server 10.2.6 on an iMac FP 17"; I have had, I believe, one kernel panic before this recent spate, which was in February (and is also the last one logged); I haven't changed anything significantly in the system since then yet panics have been picking up in frequency.

I obviously haven't given enough information to diagnose these KPs, but can someone explain why they are not being logged like they should be?
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2003, 02:05 PM

Someone else just posted this a while ago. Turns out he had Norton SystemWorks installed. Do you have any Symantec software installed on your hard drive? If so, try removing it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

trusted_content  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 02:10 PM

I avoid Symantec software like the plague, so no.
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 1, 2003, 02:18 PM

KPs are not always loggable. I believe it also depends on how you reboot the computer; if you shut down and then boot up, I don't think the log is saved. If you just restart straight, the chances are greater, but depending on the KP, it might not get logged no matter what you do.

One thing you could do is turn on verbose kernel panics, which spill the nasty text down your screen so you can see the actual panic. You'd have to make the modification in OpenFirmware, and I think this should do it:

setenv boot-args original_contents debug=0x100

To boot into OF, boot with Cmd-Opt-O-F.

Now, if you're going to try this, be careful. I have NOT tried this myself, but it should be safe. To undo it, do the following in OF:

setenv boot-args original_contents debug=0x000

Basically there are various debug flags you can turn on, and 0x100 turns on verbose kernel panics. Of course, to test it, you'd have to wait for a KP, unless you know an easily reproducible one.

As always, anything screws up, not my fault. YMMV, proceed with caution, etc.

HTH
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

trusted_content  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 02:23 PM

Gorgonzola you just answered the question I was going to ask next. thanks

edit: wait, is that saved in nvram or do I have to reenter it each time? is there a way to make it permanent if it's only temporary?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 1, 2003, 03:29 PM

It should be saved. I could be wrong though, since I've never tried it myself. Try rebooting and then seeing whether it's still set.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2003, 05:04 PM

Try unplugging all firewire and USB devices (other then your mouse and keyboard) see if they still happen.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
... I haven't changed anything significantly in the system since then ...
Exactly what has changed? What you deem insignificant might not be.

trusted_content  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2003, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Exactly what has changed? What you deem insignificant might not be.
The only thing that's changed is I installed FruitMenu yesterday. However, this problem started three weeks ago so I doubt a haxie I installed yesterday would be the problem (although one of the panics was today). Aside from that, I haven't changed the connected devices, added any new drivers, mucked around with the system at all... just installed a few apps and built a fink package here and there.

Cipher13
Aug 2, 2003, 05:22 AM

You didn't change your IP address, did you?

Every time I change the IP address of my OSX Server 10.2.6 box, the machine KPs. I've gotten used to it.

I reboot, and it's fine; then when I'm ready to change back, I change it, it KPs, and I reboot again.

trusted_content  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2003, 12:59 AM

It happened AGAIN. And once again it wasn't logged. At least I remembered to write down the hex string this time:

00 : 03 : 93 : C0 : DF : BE

I'm gonna try that Open Firmware code but from what I can tell with my limited OF experience, that only lasts until the next reboot. Is there a way to make it permanent?

ambush
Banned
Aug 12, 2003, 01:23 AM

I've had frequent Kernel Panics for like 3 months. At least 2 a day of normal usage.

Turns out my mobo was broken Got it replaced for free.

ambush
Banned
Aug 12, 2003, 01:24 AM

It happened AGAIN. And once again it wasn't logged. At least I remembered to write down the hex string this time:

I'm gonna try that Open Firmware code but from what I can tell with my limited OF experience, that only lasts until the next reboot. Is there a way to make it permanent?
That's just your MAC address. It has nothing to do with debugging nothing.

Cipher13
Aug 12, 2003, 09:33 AM

Bad RAM?

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 10:34 AM

Run the hardware test cd...

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 04:35 PM

Hardware, hardware, hardware! Even if hardware test doesn't tell you anything, try systematically taking out your RAM sticks. I assume you've already unplugged periphs like was suggested earlier? A screwed up USB mouse or a messed up FireWire case can give you a kernel panic like nobody's business, sad but true.

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2003, 05:04 PM

I had a web server (running 10.2.5 NOT SERVER on a BW G3) running, and it would KP at least once a week. I tryed swapping ram, Imaged (CCC) the drive to a new HD, even reinstalled and set it up from scratch. Still did the same thing.

I finally got ahold of an extra G4 (450 MHZ) and put the boot drive in there. Its been running perfect for 4 weeks now...

I can only guess my problem was with the MB on the BW G3...
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 06:42 PM

Frequent kernel panics are almost always due to bad hardware, or bad drivers for hardware.

Firstly remove any peripherals or add ons of any kind. Do a clean install of the OS (you can always revert to your current install which will be backed up in the "Previous Systems" directory).

If you still get kernel panics with no peripherals or 3rd party software, try removing RAM cards, one at a time.

Bad RAM is the most common cause of kernel panics in a clean installed OS with no extra software or hardware installed.

Failing that, take it back to the shop - you've got a faulty machine. Tell them that you've just done a clean install, and it still keeps panicing. Otherwise they might try to tell you it's a software issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules