Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Who will get the 30" Display?

Who will get the 30" Display?
nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 08:24 AM

Well, it hasn't be confirmed yet by Apple, but some of the sites were talking about it... anyways, doesn't matter if they are coming out with one or not, my question is, if Apple DOES indeed make a 30" Display, who here will buy one of this baby? I won't... I'm too poor to be able to afford it. I would guess it'll be selling for around $3,000 to $3,500....

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 05:10 PM

I would buy a 23" if its cheap enough after the 30 comes out.

omegahack
Oct 11, 2003, 12:17 AM

Wow 30" that is crazy big, i dont think i could even deal with one that big, and that is super expensive for a 30 inch LCD, you could get a 42" plasma for 3500 or less, or a 53" hd tv for 1800 or less. I just kind of find the apple displays to be overpriced. Although they are super nice, i will be the first to admit it, just 2000 for a 23 inch HD lcd. too much for me.

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 12:37 AM

I'm thinking of purchasing a 20" Formac...but I just love Apple's HD widscreen 23"...oh well, maybe I'll wait. Then again, Sony has a 23" LCD monitor...and they use to have a widescreen 24" CRT...hmm

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by omegahack:
Wow 30" that is crazy big, i dont think i could even deal with one that big, and that is super expensive for a 30 inch LCD, you could get a 42" plasma for 3500 or less, or a 53" hd tv for 1800 or less. I just kind of find the apple displays to be overpriced. Although they are super nice, i will be the first to admit it, just 2000 for a 23 inch HD lcd. too much for me.
Of course your 53" hdtv has the same resolution as the apple 23" screen (and your 42" plasma screen has a lower resolution than my ibook). A 30" screen could give you a 2400x1600 resolution or something monstrous, way higher than plasma or hdtv.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2003, 10:53 AM

I'll stick to my ACD 23"...if I wanted to go bigger, I would just hook it up to a 42" Plasma. Personally, I think 30 is way too big and the 23 is just right.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by exa:
Of course your 53" hdtv has the same resolution as the apple 23" screen (and your 42" plasma screen has a lower resolution than my ibook). A 30" screen could give you a 2400x1600 resolution or something monstrous, way higher than plasma or hdtv.
on top of that, HDTVs (with one exception) can only show 1920x1080 interlaced, which i don't think OS X can drive, so you'd have to set it to 1280x720, and have the TV upconvert it, so it'd look like crap.

"I start fires!"

Back-to-Mac
Oct 12, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Well, it hasn't be confirmed yet by Apple, but some of the sites were talking about it... anyways, doesn't matter if they are coming out with one or not, my question is, if Apple DOES indeed make a 30" Display, who here will buy one of this baby? I won't... I'm too poor to be able to afford it. I would guess it'll be selling for around $3,000 to $3,500....

Ming
where did you find this out? I was thinkin about a new display but I'd hold off if I though there were new ones just around the corner.

Norty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 02:36 PM

Currently, which one is better the 20inch or the 23inch? I heard the 20 inch shows better (darker) blacks and (lighter) whites?

I myself think that 30 inches might be overkill. But, I'm looking for a new monitor and I might not be able to resist it. So I'd have my 17 for palettes and the 30 for my imagery? HOLY COW!

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 05:38 PM

Think about larger edit houses (and film/video edit suites) though. In a post room, dual 30" displays would make HD editing a lot better. Esp. in situations where you are more than 2 feet away from the screen.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2003, 06:24 PM

I want a 22" LaCie CRT.

nobitacu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Back-to-Mac:
where did you find this out? I was thinkin about a new display but I'd hold off if I though there were new ones just around the corner.
Here's where I read it from. http://www.appleinsider.com/news/ but of course... this is just a rumor... but still worth asking IF Apple does come out with something like this, who would really put out the money to buy it? If I had the money, I would. But of course, I've also thought about getting a 42" Plasma TV than use it as well for my Mac display. The only thing is, how would this look? since most Plasma TV can't have as high of a resolution as the Apple displays... which is why I might just get the 30 inch instead so I can get the high resolution... But too bad that's not going to happen... because I don't have that kind of money to spend on a display...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules