Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 9

iOS 9 (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2015, 03:29 AM

Is Apple going to have to jump iOS 10 like Microsoft did with Windows 9?

P
Sep 27, 2015, 07:46 AM

Why would they?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2015, 11:19 AM

I've been on a two-year cycle with iPhones. (Original, 4, 5, 6). I'm seeing the same damn lagging problems that have occurred with each off-year iOS upgrade. My iPhone 6 with iOS 8 was snappy as can be. Now with iOS 9 (and with the 9.0.1 update) I see visual choppiness while switching apps. Apps consistently lag as they load. Safari is a pig. Tapping the address bar results in a several second lag before I can start typing. Not happy.

The only positive is that battery life has increased.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Why would they?
Because OS X.

(I was being somewhat silly)

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I've been on a two-year cycle with iPhones. (Original, 4, 5, 6). I'm seeing the same damn lagging problems that have occurred with each off-year iOS upgrade. My iPhone 6 with iOS 8 was snappy as can be. Now with iOS 9 (and with the 9.0.1 update) I see visual choppiness while switching apps. Apps consistently lag as they load. Safari is a pig. Tapping the address bar results in a several second lag before I can start typing. Not happy.

The only positive is that battery life has increased.
I noticed all these things, except Safari... it was behaving noticeably not like a pig.

Apple does seem to toss a lot of optimization out the window with each major rev. They're less pronounced, but I'm seeing the same choppy on the 6s.

macboy7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by macboy7 View Post
Using iOS 9 on my iPad Air 2 and everything seems okay except for one thing. In iMessage, if I delete the message thread on the right it now removes the name of the person I sent the message to (or that it can from) on the left side. It didn't used to do that under 8.4.1 and earlier. Anyone else seeing this?
After more research and a chat with Apple, it appears that this is the new "normal".

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2015, 07:46 PM

I was kind of startled by the lower case keyboard, but I think Ive gotten used to it. For now, anyway. I turned off wifi assist, and haven't paid much attention to battery levels since the upgrade, so I'm watching now.

I am not sure if News is going to stay on my front page. It offers a bunch of sources (beyond the initial "winners", but I don't know if I'll actually make use of it enough to take up that screen space.

Not a bad update so far.

I have a 5s. What does Wallet do for me except offer to store all sorts of stuff like my Starbucks card? The 5s doesn't have the hardware for Apple Pay, so....

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2015, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have a 5s. What does Wallet do for me except offer to store all sorts of stuff like my Starbucks card? The 5s doesn't have the hardware for Apple Pay, so....
Airline Tickets, for example.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2015, 07:36 PM

...OK, that would work now and then. It's just the iOS 9 incarnation of Passbook, right?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Oct 5, 2015, 11:28 PM

I've noticed that annoying thing that Safari does, where you're scrolling a webpage and the new part of the page is blank until you stop scrolling, is a lot worse now. In iOS 8, it would do it occasionally, especially if I had multiple tabs open, but now it's unusual to hit a page where it doesn't do it. It's annoying as hell.

This page, for instance, I can't even slowly scroll up or down without the page going blank.

Thorzdad
Oct 6, 2015, 12:03 AM

I'm also experiencing some serious glitches with the copy/paste function with text on various webpages. Sometimes, when I tap-hold on a word, instead of highlighting the word, the entire page will suddenly scroll either up or down and highlight text elsewhere on the page. I never saw this in iOS 8.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2015, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I've noticed that annoying thing that Safari does, where you're scrolling a webpage and the new part of the page is blank until you stop scrolling, is a lot worse now. In iOS 8, it would do it occasionally, especially if I had multiple tabs open, but now it's unusual to hit a page where it doesn't do it. It's annoying as hell.

This page, for instance, I can't even slowly scroll up or down without the page going blank.
That goes away completely when you have an ad-blocker installed to block all the scripting bullshit.

I'm really sorry to say it, but it's actually true; all the crap they talk about is true: you have been ruining the Internet for all of us.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2015, 04:26 AM

This was a constant issue for me with 8 on a 6. It's essentially gone now with 9 on a 6s.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2015, 12:43 AM

9.0.2 now. I like this new "more rapid updates" from Apple.

I think. I haven't downloaded it yet.

Thorzdad
Oct 7, 2015, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That goes away completely when you have an ad-blocker installed to block all the scripting bullshit.
Except, I do have an ad blocker installed. It doesn't make a difference. I get that blank page scroll bs with it on, or with it off.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2015, 02:23 AM

Interesting. I haven't seen it since 1Blocker.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2015, 03:03 PM

I actually noticed the problem start to occur, and a reboot of Safari fixed it.

There seems to be a problem with this version of Safari degrading over time. For me, it comes to a point where pinch-to-zoom starts failing. Any attempt to use it will just snap back to where you started. I've gotten into the habit of rebooting Safari to fix that, and noticed it also eliminated the rendering problem.

Thorzdad
Oct 8, 2015, 04:14 PM

Reboot just Safari or reboot the entire device? I've rebooted Safari multiple times and I've not noticed it have any effect on the scroll rendering bug.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2015, 04:36 PM

Reboot just Safari or reboot the entire device? I've rebooted Safari multiple times and I've not noticed it have any effect on the scroll rendering bug.
Reboot Safari ?

I thought you reboot hardware, and restart software.

:-)

-t

Thorzdad
Oct 8, 2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Reboot Safari ?

-t
I assumed he meant "reboot Safari" to mean closing it completely (double-click Home, then swipe).

P
Oct 8, 2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Reboot Safari ?

-t
Canonically, yes - but terms like this are very often misused, so don't take that for granted.

("Boot" and "reboot" come from a phrase where the operating system was described as "pulling itself up by its own bootstraps", a reference to the old phrase of "someone who has pulled himself up by his own bootstraps", referring to a self-made man. The OS must load itself in stages until it has enough features loaded to be fully operational, leading to a quiet complex piece of code. A program starting doesn't work like that. It is loaded by the OS and then handed control - on a silver platter, so to speak - and doesn't need to pay any special attention to the process of getting itself up and running)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2015, 06:53 PM

I assumed he meant "reboot Safari" to mean closing it completely (double-click Home, then swipe).
Ok, that's what I thought.

I call that a forced app restart.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2015, 02:17 AM

Reboot(start) Safari.

Just mentioning it as a data point. There's obviously something ****y going on, because you didn't have the problem with iOS 8, and it was out of control for me throughout the entire lifespan of the OS.

Now it's gone for me, until it starts creeping back in as Safari becomes unstable.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 15, 2015, 10:00 AM

iOS 9 *still* does not remedy the horrid battery life draining issue where, forbid that I need to put my iPod Touch away for a week after I charge it, on standby, the battery is pretty much depleted when I need to use it one week later. When are they going to fix this?

Same goes for Reminders *still* crashing and not always syncing on my iPod touch unless I do some manual editing.
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 15, 2015 at 12:01 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2015, 10:53 AM

The entire iPod touch OS development team consists of a single morlock...

In chains.

Sometimes you can hear the faint "kill meeee" echoing through the halls of Cupertino, followed by the sound of Tim Cook's boot in their eye.

P
Oct 16, 2015, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
iOS 9 *still* does not remedy the horrid battery life draining issue where, forbid that I need to put my iPod Touch away for a week after I charge it, on standby, the battery is pretty much depleted when I need to use it one week later. When are they going to fix this?
I think leaving an iOS device in a drawer for a week not used is very far from the intended use case, and not something they test. When it also is a device that is more of an afterthought in the market, the attention to testing it will be further reduced.

Although I wonder what happens if you put the device in energy saving mode before putting it in a drawer. Have you tried that?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 16, 2015, 09:02 AM

But the iPad Air 2 greats somewhat better standby battery life (I realize that the battery is bigger, but my point still stands), and as far as intended use, it doesn't matter since the way that I use my devices is perfectly normal to me. So, they should fix this.

What is energy saving mode, on my iPod Touch? I've never heard of that.

P
Oct 16, 2015, 10:58 AM

New feature in iOS 9. Disables some background updating stuff, which sounds like it might be what is tripping you up. In Settings, under Battery, there is a switch to turn it on.

Note that battery life improves if the device has good network coverage, so if it is laying in a part of the house where Wifi is borderline, that will decrease battery life.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2015, 12:29 PM

Potentially dumb question. Do you store it in airplane mode?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Why not just shut it off if you're not going to use it for a week? Seems wasteful to leave it on.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015, 11:08 AM

Is anyone else experiencing this issue.

I often send voice messages using the Messages app. I am running iOS 9.02 on an iPhone 6 Plus. I have done a complete restore (to fix a battery issue), but this issue was happening before as well.

When I record a message and try to send it, the message disappears. It is like it never existed and certainly doesn't send. However, if I record a second message (to the same person), that message sends.

No one else I have spoken to uses voice messages with Messages app, so they can't replicate it for me. But if anyone is experiencing the same issue, I wouldn't think I am crazy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules