Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > And the Woman of the Year is?

And the Woman of the Year is?
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2015, 06:24 PM

Caitlyn Jenner Is Glamour's Woman Of The Year | The Daily Caller

They couldn't find an actual woman for this award? It doesn't say much for Feminism if the WotY is still biologically male, does it?

"It takes bravery to do what she's done!" No, it takes a lot of jealousy over that Kardashian limelight, a big TV contract, hormone therapy, and some breast implants. Though the show money will probably dry up now, since its first season ratings were abysmal. Gah, I can't wait until media outlets decide to stop shoving their pet agendas down everyone's throats. Hopefully they'll figure that out before they go bankrupt, but if not, oh well.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Oct 26, 2015 at 04:06 AM. )
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2015, 12:24 AM

Here's my shotgun analysis.

Are "(Wo)Man of the Year" contests stupid?
Is Glamour an especially horrible magazine?
Is it good transgenderism has play in the public consciousness?
Does Caitlyn Jenner suck as the person to bring transgenderism into the public consciousness?
Dos Caitlyn Jenner kind of suck?
Does a reality TV show suck as a means of raising consciousness?
Does reality TV suck like a black hole of hell collapsed in on itself?

The answer to all of these is "yes".

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2015, 05:35 AM

1. Yes, I suppose, but it doesn't appear to be an actual contest. It sure as hell isn't the same as a Nobel prize.
2. Absolutely, but it's quite popular.
3. Yes*
4. I'm still confident it's a publicity stunt.
5. Yes, they literally got away with murder.
6. It sucks in general.
7. "Oh God, oh God, why won't it die!?"

* 3 has a caveat, I still believe it's more of a mental illness than a gender identity. The rate of suicide is staggering, and that's not improved with more awareness.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2015, 11:14 AM

Jenner is not too popular amoung the old gaurd.
Feminist Germaine Greer Goes on Anti-Trans Rant Over Caitlyn Jenner | Advocate.com
When Greer's BBC comments drew backlash, including a petition to have a scheduled lecture canceled, she responded to the fury both in the media and online, with a statement laced with profanity:

“Just because you lop off your dick and then wear a dress doesn't make you a ****ing woman. I’ve asked my doctor to give me long ears and liver spots and I’m going to wear a brown coat but that won’t turn me into a ****ing cocker spaniel.

“I do understand that some people are born intersex and they deserve support in coming to terms with their gender but it’s not the same thing. A man who gets his dick chopped off is actually inflicting an extraordinary act of violence on himself.”
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
1. Yes, I suppose, but it doesn't appear to be an actual contest. It sure as hell isn't the same as a Nobel prize.
2. Absolutely, but it's quite popular.
3. Yes*
4. I'm still confident it's a publicity stunt.
5. Yes, they literally got away with murder.
6. It sucks in general.
7. "Oh God, oh God, why won't it die!?"

* 3 has a caveat, I still believe it's more of a mental illness than a gender identity. The rate of suicide is staggering, and that's not improved with more awareness.
Murder?

For number three, it depends on how you want to define things. Switching terms from "illness" to "disorder" and defining disorder as "something which bothers you to the point of having a net negative impact on your life", there are plenty of people for whom it's a disorder.

I don't think it is in and of itself. I'm obsessive-compulsive, but it's not in disorder territory. I mostly find it helpful.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2015, 03:33 PM

You know, when they rear-ended that poor lady while driving (while texting and strung-out on painkillers) and killed her? The guy/gal (it was during that really hazy time when no one knew what Jenner was), and didn't even get a reprimand.

Gender dysphoria (aka. gender identity disorder), which is, or rather was, a real thing until social "scientists" got ahold of it and decided (unscientifically) that it was a gender identity, and then they harassed and bullied the real scientists until the AMA buried it from their lexicon. It's still there, I have a recent (2014) publishing of the APPTPD, but instead of having its own chapter, which it did for >30 years, it's now buried in an appendix.

I'm just getting sick of people we know killing themselves because they aren't being treated, but instead are being told, "You're fine! It's the rest of the world that has issues".

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2015, 06:21 PM

Quick read of the California statutes look like texting and painkillers are gross negligence and not malice, so the charge would be vehicular manslaughter or DUI manslaughter.

My comment on gender identity got eaten. I'll try to recreate it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2015, 06:55 PM

In regards to gender dysphoria, I don't like politics to mix with science, and would say homosexuality is another place where it happens.

That said, I'm not sure there's any direct treatment.

My ham-fisted analogy is if someone is suicidal because they're paraplegic, it's not like you can treat the suicidal ideation by giving them use of their legs.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2015, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
In regards to gender dysphoria, I don't like politics to mix with science, and would say homosexuality is another place where it happens.
Homosexuality is genetic, however. People are born with the propensity to be gay and it's gradiant, not a simple "yes" or "no". Also, being gay doesn't mean that you want to be the other gender, it means you fancy others of your own.

That said, I'm not sure there's any direct treatment.

My ham-fisted analogy is if someone is suicidal because they're paraplegic, it's not like you can treat the suicidal ideation by giving them use of their legs.
I believe we, as a society, have stopped looking for a treatment and chosen to believe that gender-swapping (or fluidity) is healthy for humans, when suicide numbers alone indicate that isn't the case, no matter the level of social acceptance.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2015, 03:10 AM

I've been briefed on on homosexuality means.

What I'm saying is I believe there are disorder aspects to homosexuality, but that reality is politically inconvenient. To be fair, many people would have difficulty making such a statement without being judgmental, so I understand the impulse to get political about it.

I agree 100% with your assessment of gender fluidity, my only point is you can't really treat it by getting rid of someone's fluidity, just like you can't get rid of someone's homosexuality.

But, yeah... being born into the wrong gender is going to totally **** you up, and societal acceptance won't really change that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules