Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Horror, Protestors take over an unoccupied log cabin in the middle of nowhere.

The Horror, Protestors take over an unoccupied log cabin in the middle of nowhere. (Page 3)
Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2016, 04:28 AM

"Terrorist"? No. Seemed like a nice enough guy. I'm sure his family will miss him.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2016, 05:17 AM

He seemed like a real peach with that book he wrote about shooting federal officers in the face.

He will be missed though. His wives have hard times ahead working that ranch while trying to finish high school.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2016, 06:51 AM

He wrote a book about that? Wow, that's graphic. I'm looking through Only By Blood and Suffering (it's a novel) and I can't find where said "face-shooting" takes place, could you tell me which page it's on? There's an overarching conflict with gov't agents, but that's a very common trope in fiction.

You will be relieved to know, however, that he had only one wife (since that seems to distress you), and she was his close to his age. Where did you get "high school wives" from? Unfortunately I guess the state will need to find homes for the 11 foster children they took care of, since it's unlikely she'll be able to look after all of them (much less run a ranch while doing so) by herself. Maybe they won't miss him, maybe he was a dick to them, but going by their reactions to the media I'm getting the impression they will.

This is just an observation, but it occurs to me that you're much more vile and hateful than this Finicum fella ever was.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2016, 07:28 AM

Maybe learn to read more carefully? Sorry if that was a spoiler alert.

1) Child services already took those kids away last week. He was bitching about the loss of $120K in payments he got from the state for them since it was his main source of income and the primary unpaid labor force for the ranch.

2) If you want to cozy up to those Warren Jeffs mormons like Lavoy I wouldn't be shocked. There's always been a suspicious amount of non-blood related teenage girls under the roofs of these types of religious nuts homes in that part of the country. Daughters, wives, sheep... they are interchangeable in the LDS community. And you're from Utah right?

Yeah, I am a monster. I also don't make a living off the tit of government programs and then turn the hypocrisy on full blast and complain about the state's over reach into people's lives. This group of religious zealots and seditionists had the audacity to point guns at law officers in a game of chicken and then claimed to be the victims. I have no doubt that in the end some resisted arrest though physical violence and paid the price for threatening the well being of law enforcement. And rightfully so just like Michael Brown. Another spoiler alert: IDGF because as I said before, once you're down on that tier of humanity lives are cheap.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2016, 08:15 AM

It's fiction, a novel. You do know what those are, right? I want to "cozy up" with whom? No idea what you're going on about there. There's no evidence that he did anything with anyone other than his wife, much less underage girls. Are these your fantasies you're projecting?

As for being paid by the gov't to aid foster kids, that's how that system works (if you don't have the funds to care for them out-of-pocket, most don't), it's much cheaper, and better for their development, than housing them in a state facility. I'm familiar with how that all works and can give details, and contact info for Illinois DCS, if you feel like opening your home to care for orphans and kids who are abandoned and abused. (I think that's unlikely, given your MO. It takes a great deal more heart than you've ever shown here.)

Yeah... I agree, do appear to be, or it's all bluster?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2016, 11:14 AM

BTW, this entire story ha brought out the worst in Internet libs. If you take statements about how to treat the occupiers, they're almost indistinguishable from rhetoric on the right on how to treat terrorists. It's pretty embarrassing.

OreoCookie
Jan 29, 2016, 01:55 AM

There seems to be a video of the shooting, and if the footage is genuine, for me the case is clear-cut: while initially Lavoy Finicum had his hands raised, he lowers them, seemingly going for his gun. I can't blame the cops in that situation — especially after he almost ran head-first into a police blockade trying to escape.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2016, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
BTW, this entire story ha brought out the worst in Internet libs. If you take statements about how to treat the occupiers, they're almost indistinguishable from rhetoric on the right on how to treat terrorists. It's pretty embarrassing.
Yeah, Twitter right now is awash with people celebrating the shooting, especially now that the FBI video has been released. They're actually taking joy from watching it. I'm over it, society is ****ed.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
There seems to be a video of the shooting, and if the footage is genuine, for me the case is clear-cut: while initially Lavoy Finicum had his hands raised, he lowers them, seemingly going for his gun. I can't blame the cops in that situation — especially after he almost ran head-first into a police blockade trying to escape.
"Clear cut"? If that was footage of a black man on a city street, the Left would be livid.

OreoCookie
Jan 29, 2016, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
"Clear cut"? If that was footage of a black man on a city street, the Left would be livid.
Please, stop this passive aggressive non-sense. Unlike in many other cases, we have video evidence of the whole situation and context from several interviews where Finicum makes clear he is willing to die for the cause. And unlike his comrades in arms in the other car, the guy decided to try and run away from the police, almost rammed police cars blocking the road, then stormed out of the vehicle armed and eventually reached down for his gun. According to one of the protestors (the driver of the first car who did not resist arrest), it sounds as if the cops were reasonable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2016, 12:49 PM

Some militia lady thinks local citizens protesting them to leave. Lolz. I guess reality has a anti patriot bias

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2016, 04:26 PM

But how much of that is just calling for them to be treated the way they want to treat others who act like they do?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2016, 05:15 PM

Some militia lady thinks local citizens protesting them to leave. Lolz. I guess reality has a anti patriot bias
no idea what that means.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
But how much of that is just calling for them to be treated the way they want to treat others who act like they do?
There's no way to justify that, it's like the sick people who want rapists to be abused and raped in prison. They're nearly as bad as the people they're condemning.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2016, 05:41 PM

no idea what that means.
That would be because I somehow left out an entire chunk of that post. The militia lady thinks local protestors are paid actors.

Phone posting. Ugh.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2016, 05:44 PM

Very little. These are angry liberals who have dehumanized their opponents to the point where they have become the very people they despise. It's repugnant.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2016, 05:24 AM

Phone posting. Ugh.
It gets better.

(Now on my fourth year of exclusively phone posting)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2016, 08:10 AM

There's no way to justify that, it's like the sick people who want rapists to be abused and raped in prison. They're nearly as bad as the people they're condemning.
I meant to imply there was a certain amount of irony in play. Like those champions of traditional marriage who've been divorced 5 times. Its a way of getting people to question their own opinions on punishment when others who agree with them put themselves in a position to receive such punishment.

As for LeVoy he clearly committed suicide by cop which is exactly what he said he'd do. I have sympathy for his family because he was an idiot, but also because I'm sure they loved him even though he was an idiot. I have sympathy for the cops who had to shoot him, it probably ruined their day. I don't have much sympathy for the man himself. He made a series of dreadful decisions, knowing fully well what the consequences would be and has now abandoned his ludicrously huge family for a pathetically insignificant cause.

The thing about dehumanising rapists is that they lack certain elements that should be present in all humans. Killing someone out of jealousy or anger or for profit or revenge, these are all easily understood. But pre-meditated rape, planned out by someone who gets a kick out of torturing someone, making them scared. Scarring them for life for a quick thrill. I can't help but wonder if a dose of their own medicine might prove an eye opener. Even opportunists clearly lack the understanding of what they inflict on their victims. If its that hard to explain, perhaps experience is the answer.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2016, 10:46 AM

Abuse never stops abuse, it only ever perpetuates the cycle. The men raping rapists in prison are also harming themselves, not just their victims, destroying their own humanity, and before long it's not just rapists who become their targets.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2016, 06:20 PM

I imagine most of the rapist rapers were already rapists beforehand, if not before they were locked up to begin with.

What about a 3 strikes and castration rule?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2016, 06:53 PM

Abuse never stops abuse, it only ever perpetuates the cycle. The men raping rapists in prison are also harming themselves, not just their victims, destroying their own humanity, and before long it's not just rapists who become their targets.
As a human being, this doesn't bother me in context. Out of context, it's a gross lapse of control by the justice system. And as an intellectual being, this completely undermines any hopes of rehabilitation or the ability to reintegrate with society.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2016, 06:55 PM

I imagine most of the rapist rapers were already rapists beforehand, if not before they were locked up to begin with.

What about a 3 strikes and castration rule?
Because three strikes rules are dumb.

...and the last time we were castrating people, it was for being homosexuals or mentally deficient. Not a sterling history.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2016, 02:31 AM

It's the modern revenge culture, aka. Social Justice, mentality. Such people advocate the most abhorrent behavior in prison (revenge rape) because they practice a less physically violent version of it online. Both are about power, control, and humiliation, wounding people they hate in the most demeaning way they can, because it excites and thrills them. They get off on it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2016, 04:56 AM

But shooting burglars is fine.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2016, 04:06 PM

But shooting burglars is fine.
I'm not surprised that you don't understand the difference between self-defense and revenge, it explains a lot.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2016, 08:21 PM

You're assuming that I'm prepared to believe you wouldn't enjoy defending yourself. And I'm talking about stuff-defence, not self-defence.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2016, 08:49 PM

Because three strikes rules are dumb.

...and the last time we were castrating people, it was for being homosexuals or mentally deficient. Not a sterling history.
A three strikes rule where you get 20 years for 3 counts of shoplifting is dumb. If you serve two prison terms for rape and still go do it again why should the taxpayer foot the bill to house and feed you if they can cut your junk off and make your victims safe that way?

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2016, 09:34 PM

You're assuming that I'm prepared to believe you wouldn't enjoy defending yourself. And I'm talking about stuff-defence, not self-defence.
That was a joke, right? You think I'd enjoy shooting someone? What. The. F*ck? You're sick, you need help.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2016, 12:19 PM

So, this drama had a controversial conclusion. I'm curious how someone could find them not guilty of possession of a firearm in a federal facility but I haven't been following the case.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2016, 02:23 PM

Was this a jury trial? Were the jury all locals?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2016, 05:37 PM

So, this drama had a controversial conclusion. I'm curious how someone could find them not guilty of possession of a firearm in a federal facility but I haven't been following the case.
White defendants, white jurors: Outcry over race in verdict's wake | OregonLive.com

"White Privilege is the Reason the Bundys are Free." - Blogtown - Portland Mercury

The verdict for those armed militants who took over a federal building is white privilege in action - Vox

The verdict is completely absurd.

Eight months after the nation watched an armed militia take over a wildlife refuge in Oregon to protest federal land ownership, a jury has come back and said that the militia members are “not guilty.” This includes not guilty of a charge that describes what everyone knows these militants did, considering that they live-streamed themselves doing it: conspiracy to prevent Bureau of Land Management and US Fish and Wildlife employees from doing their jobs at the wildlife refuge.

Again, this is literally what they did. They armed themselves and took over a wildlife refuge, preventing federal workers from going into the facility and doing their jobs. Ammon Bundy, the militants’ leader, even participated in interviews in which he called for more people to join him in his cause.

In fact, the militants staged their protest because they want to get federal employees out of these lands. The Bundys and other militants would like to see the federal government give up federal lands to locals. This, they argue, would free the territory of environmental regulations that they see as burdensome — but are meant to preserve endangered animals and nature — and enable more exploitation of the lands’ resources by allowing, for example, more unfettered farming, mining, and hunting.

he defense argued there was no intent to keep federal employees off the refuge. But come on. An armed group occupied a federal building. Your imagination doesn’t have to stretch very far to realize what was happening.

Yet a jury found them not guilty.

It is impossible to ignore race here. This was a group of armed white people, mostly men, taking over a facility. Just imagine: What would happen if a group of armed black men, protesting police brutality, tried to take over a police facility and hold it hostage for more than a month? Would they even come out alive and get to trial? Would a jury find them and their cause relatable, making it easier to send them back home with no prison time?

One doesn’t have to do much imagining here, either. The social science is pretty clear: People are much more likely to look at black people and see criminals and wrongdoers. They don’t get the privilege of innocence in the same way that white people — including these militants in Oregon — do.
I submit there may be a bit of jury nullification going on here as well.

OAW

reader50
Administrator
Oct 28, 2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The suspects felt their government did not represent their interests, likewise the laws. If the jury felt the same way about the law(s) in question, they could nullify. No race element needed.

andi*pandi
Oct 30, 2016, 12:06 PM

ridiculous.

OreoCookie
Oct 30, 2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The suspects felt their government did not represent their interests, likewise the laws. If the jury felt the same way about the law(s) in question, they could nullify. No race element needed.
But it is nevertheless ridiculous, because the jury hasn't voted on the charges, but the laws.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2016, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post

OAW
Like OJ and the LA Four?
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2016, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Like OJ and the LA Four?
Not really. OJ should have been acquitted. The LAPD got busted trying to plant evidence on what was very likely a guilty man. This is undeniable given the blood evidence. As for the LA Four that was basically a hung jury. Two got off. And the other two still were convicted on related charges. So I don't think it's really a comparison given how the Bundy crew were straight up acquitted of crimes we could all see with our own eyes they were committing on TV.

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules