Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone HD ?

iPhone HD ?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2010, 11:42 AM

AppleInsider | Apple 'iPhone HD' rumored with A4 chip, forward-facing camera

A4 chip, front facing camera, 960x640 screen, LED flash, CDMA version for Verizon in the USA.

960x640 does seem like a crazy resolution for a handheld screen, and a bit too close to the iPad for me. Although it would allow current iPhone graphics and apps to double up on the new screen, instead of interpolation to 1.5x size or similar. The rest of it sounds good though.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2010, 11:52 AM

A screen to match the HTC HD2 res. would be nice!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

-Q-
Mar 30, 2010, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't say "no" to a screen resolution that high.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2010, 01:06 PM

I hope they are working on a super-long-lasting battery of some sort.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I hope they are working on a super-long-lasting battery of some sort.

3g battery is abysmal!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2010, 01:36 PM

I don't really understand what I'd be able to do with such a high resolution.

OTOH I do understand what doubling the battery life would do for me.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2010, 04:20 PM

I just want a BIGGER screen (less space on the ends), thinner, better camera and MAYBE front facing camera.

iPhone HD sounds like a reasonable name.

tupsy0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2010, 07:39 PM

Steve Jobs has said him self that he sees Google's Android and the new phones that are using it as real competition, and that the next iPhone will blow every one away. To do that it will have to be pretty special. From what I understand pixel doubling is the only realistic option to up the rez on a larger screen so it all seems quite possible. I guess as usual battery life will be the big question to be answered but then their own A4 chip reworked for the iPhone might be the answer.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 07:46 PM

Apple has never been big on competing with useless specs.

I do find it funny, however, that after everyone discounted the iPad as "nothing more than a big iPod touch", people are busy wishing the next iPhone into being a small iPad.

tupsy0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2010, 08:02 PM

Thre are millions of people out there that don't see the iPad as just a large iPod touch and are proving it with their hard earned cash. The problem with the iPad is it's a new product. A lot of people need to be taken by the hand and shown how it's going to be different. Once the iPad is seen out in the wild it will probably be differant and the mistery should be solved for a lot of them.
Some people might still be dreaming of the one device that does it all (I'm not I like lots of different toys ) but I think most people are just interested to see where Apple are going with their next iPhone... People like to speculate. A larger higher rez screen is just one option and I'm sure Apple has had it on the table. Only time will tell what they decide to do but they know the Android phones are at their heels wanting a slice of the pie, Steve Jobs and Apple will want to stay ahead of the pack.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 07:39 AM

The latest theory is that the front facing camera is to sense hand gestures (think handheld Xbox Project Natal), rather than video chat and recording.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 09:00 AM

I still can't believe people are running with this story based on a sarcastic comment by Gruber.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by tupsy0 View Post
Thre are millions of people out there that don't see the iPad as just a large iPod touch
Questions is... even if it is just a larger iPod touch... what's wrong with that? Sounds good to me.

tupsy0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2010, 01:44 PM

I guess I don't see it like that because generally when I've seen the iPad compared to a large iPod touch it's been with a negative connotation, as if to say it's nothing really differant so what's the point? I use my iPod touch mainly as my portible music player. I do have some games on it and I do some light web browsing on it now and again. With the iPad I'm really excited about downloading books and magizines, news papers from back home. Watching a film or two on the go. The games as well I'm sure will be inhanced in scope and capibility with the larger screen and faster processor. Emails will be easer to view and reply to as well as using such apps as the adapted iWork will be an option. None of those things I would really consider with the ipod touch or iPhone.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 03:50 PM

So far the apps shows so far look absolutely spectacular. I'm finding using my laptop with OSX so boring and bland in comparison for 95% of the apps.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 04:09 PM

It'd be cool if Apple made it so you can cross compile iPhone apps for OS X.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
So far the apps shows so far look absolutely spectacular. I'm finding using my laptop with OSX so boring and bland in comparison for 95% of the apps.
I sit at my computer and use my iPhone a good bit of the time even though i could do the exact same things on the Mac.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
The latest theory is that the front facing camera is to sense hand gestures (think handheld Xbox Project Natal), rather than video chat and recording.
That's about as far fetched as the most outlandish pre-iPad-announcement rumors.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tupsy0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2010, 07:16 PM

I think the iPhone os has shown us where Apple is headed with the next wave of user interface development. So it's a matter of time before we see it's crossfertalization with the full fat mac os... touch screen iMacs? Sounds cool to me
But for now I just can't wait to get my hands on an iPad then a few more months and a shiny new iPhone (what ever the spec will be)!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It'd be cool if Apple made it so you can cross compile iPhone apps for OS X.
In the meantime you can join the Apple Developer Connection (free), download the iPhone SDK and run iPhone apps in the iPhone Simulator on OS X.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 07:22 AM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 07:26 AM

On one of the other images these were FCC and CE logos. Indicates they're bogus pics.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 09:55 AM

It's ugly and doesn't match the design language of anything Apple currently has on the market. Also indicates they're bogus pics. I fully expect the next iPhone to share design language with the iPad.

And, really, the story behind how it was found? On a floor in a bar? Doesn't seem very likely. Never mind the claim of 80GB of storage.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 10:01 AM

The bar story is totally bogus. Until you remember that Apple likes to start rumors themselves. I'm not saying the pics are legit (I'm pretty sure they aren't), but the story makes perfect sense if it was actually Apple trying to float an idea.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 12:21 PM

iPhone HD sounds like a reasonable name.
I completely agree with this statement. I don't want it to be called the "4G".

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2010, 12:44 PM

I just realized: where's the camera on that phone?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 01:38 PM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I completely agree with this statement. I don't want it to be called the "4G".
4G would actually be misleading, since the 3G in 'iPhone 3G' doesn't stand for 3rd Generation iPhone, but rather the iPhone operates on the third generation of cellular wireless standards. If they were to use 4G it would imply that the iPhone operated on the fourth generation of cellular wireless standards.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2010, 02:30 PM

As much as I don't like iPhone HD, its better than iPhone 4G since the 3G implies the network.

It could be worse:
iPhone Extreme
iPhone XL
iPhone 3G IIvx
iPhone Reloaded
iPhone IV: Voyage Home
iPhone and the Curse of the Crystal Skull
iPhone: The Phantom Menace
etc.

Let it be known that there IS a new iphone coming in June. The details are not really that important. We know the approximate date. We know a little about iPhone OS4 (I'm sure there's more, a LOT more).

I could guess: 64GB version is almost guaranteed. Verizon is not.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 02:36 PM

-64Gb for sure.
-Possibly back to Aluminum
-Larger screen
-5MP camera
-Larger screen
-Some how thinner
-24 hour battery
-Bulletproof

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 02:42 PM

*24 hours of talk time on 3G

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2010, 08:15 PM

I never believe leaks but I am really damn sure this is legit.
Real, complete next-gen iPhone spotted? [U3] | Electronista

Looks like my fav Phone design my sony T637 as the front and back were black with silver sides. The best part was the sides were beveled INWARDS so it was really comfortable to hold. I've been hoping the iPhone would copy this or at least make them flat from day 1!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2010, 08:32 PM

Fake as the day is long (if you're assuming it will look anything like that), perhaps a knock-off or ugly-case prototype. Jobs would never allow a design with that many physical buttons and that many seams.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 08:35 PM

Engadget has a good case for it being real. I love how everyone assumes that this is what the iPhone 4G would look like if it goes on sale... but it's obviously a very early prototype.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Fake as the day is long (if you're assuming it will look anything like that), perhaps a knock-off or ugly-case prototype. Jobs would never allow a design with that many physical buttons and that many seams.
You know how many seams the current iPhone makes for itself after you buy it? Just about every one I see the plastic cracks by the thin parts like the volume and dock connector.

I've exchanged mine 4+ times because of this.

I'm very sure the next iPhone will be nothing like the current 3GS in form.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 09:00 PM

Maybe all of these seams would mean that the battery could easily be replaced... perhaps by the user! How revolutionary!

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 02:33 AM

Looks like my fav Phone design my sony T637 as the front and back were black with silver sides. The best part was the sides were beveled INWARDS so it was really comfortable to hold. I've been hoping the iPhone would copy this or at least make them flat from day 1!

I had the previous phone to that, the T610, that was metal and glossy black plastic. These photos do look more Sony Ericsson than Apple to me. I can see the new one being basically like an iPad mini, aluminium unibody, bevelled edge and glass front.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 04:09 AM

The thing that makes me especially incredulous about these increasingly accepted photos is, if they were real Apple Legal would have struck to take them down by now.

Gruber thinks they're real so maybe they're real, but I still have strong doubts.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 11:05 AM

2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
The FCC and CE logos are very fishy. Normally those logos aren't printed onto cases until you have actually received certification. Are we to assume Apple has already received all the certification for iPhone HD and has the FCC and the EU hold back on publishing said certification for two-three months? The FCC has in the past withheld publication for ~days-weeks, but I don't think they usually do it for extended periods of time.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 11:09 AM

Wow, it's real. That's gotta be one of the biggest leaks in recent Apple history.

Steve is going nuts right now.

-t

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 11:10 AM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 11:15 AM

The story how this iPhone was "lost" (and found) are so suspect (remember how prototypes were supposedly bolted down to tables in vaults, etc.) I'd say this looks like an intentional Apple leak. Makes sense too. With the absence of the MP updates and the iPad shipping delays, some iPhone rumor diversion is just what Apple needs.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The story how this iPhone was "lost" (and found) are so suspect (remember how prototypes were supposedly bolted down to tables in vaults, etc.) I'd say this looks like an intentional Apple leak. Makes sense too. With the absence of the MP updates and the iPad shipping delays, some iPhone rumor diversion is just what Apple needs.
Geez, Thomas, do you need to put your fingers in it ?

-t

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 11:22 AM

Agreed! These folks really went to some extraordinary lengths to pull one over on us.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Geez, Thomas, do you need to put your fingers in it ?

-t
This thread now needs to be moved to the "Religion Lounge".

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 11:38 AM

Ok lets just assume it is fake. For me it is 100% perfect. I had every iPhone model to day and always found the 3Gs a bit disappointing in design and features (other than the speed). WIth this new model I couldn't be happier.

If that screen is SUPER OLED then I am in bliss but I kinda doubt it. Hope it isn't regular OLED but I don't think Apple would be that stupid.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 12:17 PM

I didn't see this on the first page of the forum, but if it is there somewhere, sorry for the duplicate post!

Gizmodo got their hands on an iPhone 4G that was left in a bar in Redwood City (whoops!), and they posted the pics and video online here: This Is Apple's Next iPhone - Iphone 4 - Gizmodo

Looks like a nice upgrade!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 12:27 PM

I like the overall design, but I hate those goofy looking round buttons.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

-Q-
Apr 19, 2010, 12:32 PM

If that's real, I'm betting there's going to be an unexplained disappearance of a San Jose resident any day now...so SJ can personally choke the life from them.

I love the tech, but I'm not wild about the design. It does seem a bit too derivative of Sony Ericsson phones. Not a bad thing, as I did like their phones back in the day, but it doesn't seem like Apple to mimic the style of another handset manufacturer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules