Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How to get free AT&T wifi in star bucks?

How to get free AT&T wifi in star bucks?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 08:05 PM

I think I read somewhere that you can get free wifi in these coffee shops if you own an iPad 3G. However, is it just me, or they have madre it really difficifult for an ATT subscriber to tale advantage of this benefit.

For example, i can't remember that I have an ATTwifi login, yet star bucks demands that I have a login and password. The login/pass that I set up for my 3G service was rejected.

Anyone know where to get these credentials?

Signed,

Stuck in 3G hole.

Cold Warrior
Jun 7, 2010, 08:20 PM

I don't know about iPad, but with iPhone, attwifi automatically recognizes you as a subscriber and logs you in.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Anyone know where to get these credentials?
You need to be an AT&T internet DSL subscriber.

Your credentials are your AT&T username (often ends with @att.net) and your password.
These would be the same credentials that were entered into your AT&T cable modem.

-t

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 08:32 PM

If you are a Qwest DSL sub, you get free ATT WiFi as well.
45/47

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 09:40 PM

I need to try this the next time that I'm near a Starbucks.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 10:30 PM

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 10:46 PM

Just did this today at a Barnes & Noble. When you go online from an AT&T hotspot (it's the same at Starbucks), an AT&T splash-screen comes up first. All you have to do is click that you agree to their terms and you're online.

I watched today's Stevenote from B&N, with Engadget auto-refreshing every couple of minutes. This was on my MacBook. On the iPhone, usually at Starbucks AT&T hotspots, it's hit or miss. I get online about 50-70% of the time. Oftentimes, the process just times out. Go figure... AT&T being flaky.

By the way, I am NOT an AT&T DSL subscriber... Just a wireless subscriber on an iPhone plan.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2010, 10:50 PM

Good tip:

Just in case anyone still has the Easy Wifi app for the phone from the days when AT&T used that convoluted text message way of logging into their network, you can use that to log on for free. I had deleted it from my iphone a long time ago but kept it in iTunes. When I got the ipad ( I do have the 3G but have never activated the data plan ) I synced the app over to see if it would work at Starbucks or another attwifi spot. Just enter your iphone number and it works perfectly, no data plan needed. This should also work on the wifi only ipads as well.
Apple - Support - Discussions - AT&T and Starbucks free WiFi??? ...

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
Just did this today at a Barnes & Noble. When you go online from an AT&T hotspot (it's the same at Starbucks), an AT&T splash-screen comes up first. All you have to do is click that you agree to their terms and you're online.

By the way, I am NOT an AT&T DSL subscriber... Just a wireless subscriber on an iPhone plan.
B&N is different than Starbucks. AFAIK, B&N is free for *ANY* device, as long as you agree to the T&Cs.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules