Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My World Has Been Rocked (Advice Thread)

My World Has Been Rocked (Advice Thread) (Page 3)
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 12:23 PM

We've moved on. We're hard at work trying again.

At any rate, the last few months of pregnancy are where it gets really rough. My wife didn't have much morning sickness or anything... but the last month and a half or so really kicks your ass. You're basically miserable all the time and completely useless.

Our first kid just turned 2 last week. I've always loved kids, but had never spent much time around really young kids. 2 is such a fun age. This kid is absolutely bonkers. He's currently obsessed with halloween. He never sleeps with us in our bed, but last night he was having a rough night so we brought him in with us at about 2am. There would be 2 minutes of silence and then he would whisper. Dracula turns into a bat. Fly away! We'd go, shhhh, go to sleep. He would be quiet for a minute and then, FRANKENSTIEN! It's alive! It's alive! Shhhh. Shhhhh... Scary ghost. eeek! Spider... ooh! Run away! spider! Shhhhhh... Zombies eat braaaainnnns... SHHHHHHH....

We put him back in his bed after about 30 minutes of that. This morning he woke me up at 6am by shoving a care bear in my face. DADDY! CARE BEAR. HELLO HELLO HELLO Care bear. Wake up daddy. The care bear is SAD. He needs a kiss. WAKE UP!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

andi*pandi
Sep 13, 2011, 12:26 PM

hahaha. He sounds adorable.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2011, 01:12 PM

Oh, oh! I saw this on kids.woot during the wootoff and had to grab one.

Micralite Toro Stroller
http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Baby-7001.../dp/B000GZ52BQ

They had it for $400, $300 off the regular retail and includes all the newborn and travel inserts. Looks like the Ferrari of baby strollers!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Sorry to hear that Ort. That type of thing terrifies us.

My wife is still throwing up and being hormonal. She's also starting to show, which is great because I get to rub the spot and talk to it. I get the, "they can't hear you yet" type of noise, but it doesn't matter because I enjoy it so much.
No doubt about it. We haven't played music for the little guy yet, but we've talked up a storm.

My friend has talked into his pregnant wife's belly throughout the pregnancy, using the belly button region because "I figure the sound is most likely to travel best there."

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
We've moved on. We're hard at work trying again.
The best of luck to y'all.

At any rate, the last few months of pregnancy are where it gets really rough. My wife didn't have much morning sickness or anything... but the last month and a half or so really kicks your ass. You're basically miserable all the time and completely useless.
Thanks for putting the fear of God into me.

Our first kid just turned 2 last week. I've always loved kids, but had never spent much time around really young kids. 2 is such a fun age. This kid is absolutely bonkers. He's currently obsessed with halloween. He never sleeps with us in our bed, but last night he was having a rough night so we brought him in with us at about 2am. There would be 2 minutes of silence and then he would whisper. Dracula turns into a bat. Fly away! We'd go, shhhh, go to sleep. He would be quiet for a minute and then, FRANKENSTIEN! It's alive! It's alive! Shhhh. Shhhhh... Scary ghost. eeek! Spider... ooh! Run away! spider! Shhhhhh... Zombies eat braaaainnnns... SHHHHHHH....

We put him back in his bed after about 30 minutes of that. This morning he woke me up at 6am by shoving a care bear in my face. DADDY! CARE BEAR. HELLO HELLO HELLO Care bear. Wake up daddy. The care bear is SAD. He needs a kiss. WAKE UP!
He sounds absolutely awesome. I got a chuckle out of the Halloween obsession story especially.

andi*pandi
Sep 13, 2011, 03:49 PM

Looks like the Ferrari of baby strollers!
But what's the insurance like on it?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 03:54 PM

Remember this time of cuteness. It doesn't last.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 04:32 PM

Just wait until you see/feel something moving around under the skin. CREEPY!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 04:46 PM

Sadly, no. We are no longer expecting our second child. I'll leave it at that and keep this as a happy thread for happy thoughts.
I wish you all the luck for your second, and maybe third kids down the road. As a single kid growing up I always wished I had a brother or sister. Funny thing is those that do always wish they where a single kid lol.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 05:11 PM

That explains a lot actually. Thanks Athens.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 05:22 PM

Excuse me?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2011, 11:29 PM

Congrats, Jawbone!
Definitely this will rank up there with the greatest events of your life, if not the greatest.

* I think unless there's another movie, it's 'The Business of Being Born' not 'Babymaking'... definitely an interesting flick. My wife and I saw it and decided we wanted to have our son as naturally as possible. That was the plan anyway.

When the time came, my wife was way overdue, and ended up having to be induced, which as I understand it speeds up the pain along with the birth process. She went from about a 3 on the pain-o-meters to a 10+ in the span of half an hour, and despite all of our 'natural as possible' pact stuff before hand, when the epidural 'candyman' showed up she was practically screaming: "Hell @@&$##g yes give me that!" So basically, make whatever plans but just know things can change rapidly when it's actually go-time.

It's now been 4 months since little Crash Solidstate has been here, and all the corny stuff you'll hear about falling in love instantly and all your priorities changing, the whole ball of wax... all true.

I was a little taken back at first how a newborn isn't aware of anything really- including you. Logical of course, but I never really considered it. But by the time they really start to acknowledge you, it's amazing. When they begin to smile at you, it's every sappy cliche there is.

The one thing that kind of scared the pants off of me was the 'you'll never sleep again' stuff. My wife and I started prepping ourselves for being bleary-eyed, and we watched "The Happiest Baby On The Block" DVD in note-taking mode. When Crash Jr. arrived, we were prepared, both experts at swaddling everything but an actual wiggling infant. Anyways, I guess attributable to our following the DVD's advice, we've had literally only one or two nights of trouble. Otherwise, he sleeps blissfully through most nights, waking up maybe at 4am or so for a feeding, then back to sleep until 7am.

At about 2 1/2 months we started leaving one arm free of the swaddle- he loved that- then at 3 months both. Now he can sleep fine at night completely without it, though we still swaddle him for daytime naps.

Anyway, I highly recommend looking into swaddling, along with a rigid schedule for feedings/play time/naps/etc.

During the times when he/she will cry and nothing seems to soothe, try white noise. A dedicated white-noise machine/white-noise website, vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, running water, rides around the block in the car. It can work wonders.

When all else fails, pick the little one up and give them a 'super-baby' fly around the immediate area. My son always loves this so much he totally forgets all other fussing he may have been up to before hand.

For gas/cholic- grip water. Miracle stuff.

Read to them early on- even as early as 2 months my boy knew something fun was going on when we'd read to him, and that you're doing it for his benefit.

That's the total extent of my parental 'knowledge', every day is just more to learn.

I hope you enjoy the great experience of it all!

Rumor
Sep 14, 2011, 02:29 AM

You're having a yoga master!

(Is that a foot?)
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2011, 09:41 AM

Looks like a baby to me.

Rumor
Sep 14, 2011, 12:46 PM

Next to the face silly.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2011, 01:57 PM

Your 3D ultrasound isn't that bad, but I've seen some that are downright horrific looking. Unborn babies can look pretty freaky.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Just wait until you see/feel something moving around under the skin. CREEPY!
Heard about this. I'm prepared to get freaked out.

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
I think unless there's another movie, it's 'The Business of Being Born' not 'Babymaking'... definitely an interesting flick. My wife and I saw it and decided we wanted to have our son as naturally as possible. That was the plan anyway.

When the time came, my wife was way overdue, and ended up having to be induced, which as I understand it speeds up the pain along with the birth process. She went from about a 3 on the pain-o-meters to a 10+ in the span of half an hour, and despite all of our 'natural as possible' pact stuff before hand, when the epidural 'candyman' showed up she was practically screaming: "Hell @@&$##g yes give me that!" So basically, make whatever plans but just know things can change rapidly when it's actually go-time.
My wife and I watched it about 2-3 months into the pregnancy (at the recommendation of someone here on 'NN, if I remember correctly). After sitting through the whole thing, my wife said, "Yeah, I definitely still want an epidural."

Has your wife had any regrets about the epidural? I'm guessing probably not, but still.

It's now been 4 months since little Crash Solidstate has been here, and all the corny stuff you'll hear about falling in love instantly and all your priorities changing, the whole ball of wax... all true.

I was a little taken back at first how a newborn isn't aware of anything really- including you. Logical of course, but I never really considered it. But by the time they really start to acknowledge you, it's amazing. When they begin to smile at you, it's every sappy cliche there is.
That's awesome...

Let me ask you another question: did you feel that immediate sense of attachment, or was it gradually intensified as he began acknowledging and reacting to the world around him, particularly you? My friend went through two or three months of guilt because he said he didn't feel immediately attached, but then fell head-over-heels after he started smiling and cooing at him.

The one thing that kind of scared the pants off of me was the 'you'll never sleep again' stuff. My wife and I started prepping ourselves for being bleary-eyed, and we watched "The Happiest Baby On The Block" DVD in note-taking mode. When Crash Jr. arrived, we were prepared, both experts at swaddling everything but an actual wiggling infant. Anyways, I guess attributable to our following the DVD's advice, we've had literally only one or two nights of trouble. Otherwise, he sleeps blissfully through most nights, waking up maybe at 4am or so for a feeding, then back to sleep until 7am.

At about 2 1/2 months we started leaving one arm free of the swaddle- he loved that- then at 3 months both. Now he can sleep fine at night completely without it, though we still swaddle him for daytime naps.

Anyway, I highly recommend looking into swaddling, along with a rigid schedule for feedings/play time/naps/etc.
Thank you very, very much for this. I've been dreading the sleep issue. My wife and I will look up the DVD for sure. I'm glad to hear your experience has been a lot better than I'd have anticipated.

During the times when he/she will cry and nothing seems to soothe, try white noise. A dedicated white-noise machine/white-noise website, vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, running water, rides around the block in the car. It can work wonders.
Definitely picked one up already. This seems to be common advice lately.

When all else fails, pick the little one up and give them a 'super-baby' fly around the immediate area. My son always loves this so much he totally forgets all other fussing he may have been up to before hand.
This works on adults too.

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
You're having a yoga master!

(Is that a foot?)
Computer models have suggested he'll look like this in 14 years:

Your 3D ultrasound isn't that bad, but I've seen some that are downright horrific looking. Unborn babies can look pretty freaky.
Our first one was terrifying. My nephews still don't like to look at any of the pictures. The 6 year old said, "He looks like an alien!" and started crying.

finboy
Sep 15, 2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

My wife and I are going to be bringing a tiny little Jawbone into the world around the middle of October.
Hehe. I know what YOU'VE been doing.

Seriously, educate yourself with everything you can find. Stay off the Web so much, but find stuff like "While You're Waiting" and similar legitimate titles that you can rely on. Also, remember that the process is different for everyone and a lot of advice that you'll get is bogus or will be contradictory (even from professionals).

If your wife doesn't plan to breastfeed, prepare to be assaulted by the LaLeche Nazis. They will come at you in waves until you succumb or tell them to f*ck off. What I learned from them was the thing about contradictory advice: one consultant would yell at us about doing what the previous consultant had yelled at us to do two hours before. Priceless. Thankfully, we tossed that sh*t and moved ahead about the third day with kid one. With kid two we made it clear that anyone mentioning breastfeeding in our presence would be subjected to rigorous & immediate physical violence.

Of course if you can get her to breastfeed then you won't have to work nearly as hard as Dad. That's how it looks to me at least - you'll be able to plead the "no equipment" defense.

One more thing, and I know it's controversial. Unless you have a history of immunization reactions in the family (and you should ask now) then you should plan on getting your kids immunized, but I would advise NOT doing it until you absolutely have to (before pre-school if you can wait that long). Getting a bunch of shots right away (Day Three or something) seems like too much stress on a little tiny baby's immune system. The longer you can wait the better, because you'll be able to interpret their condition. Also, if you can avoid getting a bunch at once then do so, for the same reason.

I'm not a doctor, but I'm a scientist, and I've read enough to know that the docs do not have a clear understanding of how immunizations might hurt little babies. "On average" doesn't cut it. Even if you're the 1/115 exception, it can't hurt to space things out and see how the kid reacts to each one and let their body absord the new disease that's just been injected.

As I've posted here before, I have a child who's developmentally disabled (in a major way) and autistic and I'll always have to wonder why, regardless of the "evidence." I also have a family history of multiple, severe (crippling) reactions to immunizations that nobody paid attention to when I mentioned it, even over and over. And over.

Be prepared, and proactive, and do your homework so you reasons for everything you do. Hope that helps.

EDIT: I just realized that I may have posted this stuff months ago. Sorry about that, it's old age. Hang on a sec...

Hey, you kids GET OFF MY LAWN.

What was the topic again?
( Last edited by finboy; Sep 15, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Senility)

MrsLarry
Senior User
Sep 15, 2011, 01:27 PM

MrsLarry...ort888....y'all doing okay?
We're doing well, thanks for asking. Like your wife, my pregnancy has been relatively smooth sailing so far (knock on wood). Haven't had any morning sickness, now we just wait. 10 more weeks for us! We had a 3D ultrasound this past weekend, here's the photo:

It's a girl!

andi*pandi
Sep 15, 2011, 01:52 PM

And she's smiling!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
We're doing well, thanks for asking. Like your wife, my pregnancy has been relatively smooth sailing so far (knock on wood). Haven't had any morning sickness, now we just wait. 10 more weeks for us! We had a 3D ultrasound this past weekend, here's the photo:

It's a girl!
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
And she's smiling!
My thought as well! Haha...

Congrats! Glad to hear you've been having a smooth-sailing pregnancy too. I've been told the last month is going to be incredibly uncomfortable for the mom, and she's not the best at tolerating pain/discomfort. We'll see how it goes. Due Nov. 5 (middle of October was first estimate -- a bit off).

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2011, 04:29 PM

Jawbone, get her one of those squeezing ball things, it helped my cousin out with the discomfort the last month and during the birth. Unless of course you want to possible get broken fingers while your wife is giving birth

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 11:19 PM

I'm going to opt for the squeezing ball.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2011, 02:47 PM

Has your wife had any regrets about the epidural? I'm guessing probably not, but still.
Not in the least. She has a high threshold for pain, but what she experienced was beyond anything she'd ever felt. From what I gather, being induced was the main reason. Normally the pain ramps up gradually and a person can cope, but under induction it can go to full tilt in so short a time that only the super-human could really withstand it for hours on end.

I wouldn't blame anyone for opting for a more modern and humane method than just coping with ridiculous pain just for some 'natural' bragging rights or something.
Let me ask you another question: did you feel that immediate sense of attachment, or was it gradually intensified as he began acknowledging and reacting to the world around him, particularly you? My friend went through two or three months of guilt because he said he didn't feel immediately attached, but then fell head-over-heels after he started smiling and cooing at him.
I can totally understand the guilty feeling.

Easily, one will have never felt such a sense of responsibility for and commitment of time and effort to another human being. And it's all met by (what seems to be): complete indifference. Other times:(what seems to be) screaming red-hot anger. Sometimes your efforts will only get you pee'd on, barfed on, drooled on, kept awake, unable to attend to your own immediate needs etc.

The love-fest feels entirely one-way at first. It can be hard not to take personally, even though you know it's irrational to feel that way, since this is a newborn with no developed sense of expression.

Your more rational side knows that it's only natural, and that it's all a matter of time. When you start to see the first signs that they recognize you, are happy to see you, prefer mom and dad's attention over that of just about anyone else, smile at you, etc. then the feeling kicks into high gear that it's all worth it, and you start to feel that sense of love being mutual.

Thank you very, very much for this. I've been dreading the sleep issue. My wife and I will look up the DVD for sure. I'm glad to hear your experience has been a lot better than I'd have anticipated.
I have to add that I need to give my boy credit here: more so than anything we've done, he's just an exceptionally good sleeper. Our efforts have only helped him, but we really lucked out.

I totally subscribe to the theory that for the first three months, newborns are basically in the 4th trimester of fetal development- on a biological level they should still be in the womb. So when parents realize this and think on that level, things go a lot smoother. (For example, swaddling emulates the confined feeling they had in the womb- a feeling they actually still crave even after birth. White noise of an astonishingly high decibel level is what they heard 24/7 ever since their hearing developed- so that too tends to relax them.)

hart
Senior User
Sep 17, 2011, 03:55 PM

One thing that I learned over the last 17 years with 3 kids is that people will try to scare you about whatever stage of parenting is coming up. "Pregnancy is hard but just wait till you have a newborn." "You may think having a toddler is hard but just wait till they're in school." Etc. I just started tuning people out. They seem to get some sort of thrill about predicting your suffering while patting themselves on the back.

Second major thing I learned as total research geek is that reading all different kinds of info is good, then take the path that you think is the best while taking all information with a grain of salt. Many grains of salt.

And do NOT take those "What to Expect" books too seriously. They'll have you freaking out from day one.

That said I will say that I largely followed the attachment parenting theory (See Dr. William Sears) and have never had reason to regret it. I started out with on-demand feeding and co-sleeping with all 3 kids when they were babies and hardly lost any sleep at all except when they were seriously sick.

It's not main-stream but it's a theory worth considering. From my experience I would say that it greatly smooths the entire parenting experience from the start and right on through.

Most crucial piece of advice is to savor the whole process. Enjoy your kids as cool and interesting people who have been added to your life and don't think of them as some sort of obstacle to be overcome.

The tendency today is for middle-class parents to be totally freaking nervous about every damn thing starting by worrying about the Harvard admissions process before their kids are out of diapers. Unfortunately, hyper parenting doesn't seem to turn out the amazing results that parents are wishing for. So my closing note is check this blog and it's links out for a perspective that you're not going to see in a lot of today's parents: FreeRangeKids

MrsLarry
Senior User
Oct 11, 2011, 01:23 PM

...in a good way. We're not telling my church/students/Facebook/Twitter until another two weeks, so I had to vent this news somewhere...

My wife and I are going to be bringing a tiny little Jawbone into the world around the middle of October.

I'm not a bit nervous about it (crazy excited), and we're prepared financially, but I wanted to get some advice from the fathers and mothers here on the old 'NN. What can I expect during the pregnancy? Do I need to keep several vital things in mind? Reading suggestions? Anything?
Jawbone - been thinking of you - is your little one here yet???

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 02:35 PM

Thank ya. Not yet. The wife is incredibly uncomfortable, can't sleep, back pain, Braxton Hicks, etc.

No baby yet though.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 02:43 PM

First time I've ever heard of Braxton Hicks, but it's well known apparently. Hope your wife gets relief and a healthy delivery very soon, Jawbone.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 03:48 PM

Much appreciated!

Yeah, I didn't know about it until the pregnancy began and the loads of new mothers we're friends with all gave my wife all the info she could handle. They only started last week.

Other mothers here: how long did your Braxton Hicks contractions last (if at all)?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 03:55 PM

My wife had a lot... A LOT of them in the last month. It got pretty bad. We even had a few false alarms where we had to go into the hospital.

I wish I had something encouraging to say, but the last month of pregnancy just kind of sucks.

That said, the first few months of baby rearing are even more difficult. So yeah. Still, it's great. Just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 03:56 PM

When's the poll to name your kid? I suggest Superfly.
"â€ĤI contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 04:03 PM

My wife had a lot... A LOT of them in the last month. It got pretty bad. We even had a few false alarms where we had to go into the hospital.

I wish I had something encouraging to say, but the last month of pregnancy just kind of sucks.

That said, the first few months of baby rearing are even more difficult. So yeah. Still, it's great. Just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best!
I'm definitely anticipating a rough go at it until March of 2012 or so, but I'm looking forward to the good aspects so much that I don't really worry about it. I've slept an average of 4-6 hours per weeknight for years, so I've sort of been in training.

Did you have any way to encourage your wife through the discomfort? I'm drawing blanks most night as she groans, whimpers, snores, cries, and sweats her way through each one. Thank GOD she never visits 'NN. Also...that last sentence sounded bad, but the wording was accurate.

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
When's the poll to name your kid? I suggest Superfly.
Ha...we had the boy/girl names picked out long ago. Going with Raylan.

andi*pandi
Oct 11, 2011, 04:07 PM

Braxton hicks: I only had a few, enough to say, hey I think it's starting... oh wait. And wait. Two weeks.

Discomfort: back massage. Learn it, do it, be it.

Raylan: He's justified.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Oct 11, 2011, 04:33 PM

Other mothers here: how long did your Braxton Hicks contractions last (if at all)?
I've been having them intermittently since about 20 weeks, never any kind of pattern.

Word.

Hubby and I are fully prepared for life to suck for a few months, but from what they tell us "it's worth it" - we just keep focusing on that.

A-friggin-men!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 04:42 PM

It gets better as soon as they start sleeping for 5 or 6 hours in a stretch. That usually takes 2-3 months, but some people luck out and get one of those babies that does it in a few weeks.

The most overwhelming thing is just the newness of the whole thing. I'd never cared for a baby before. I'd never spent much time even thinking about babies. I had no idea what I was doing. Neither did my wife. You're in the hospital for a couple of days and then it's just, okay, see ya! Have fun at home! And BOOM... uh... now what? Uh, oh...

To be fair, we didn't have much help. My mom is basically useless, my wife's family is all out of town. We have plenty of friends, but there is only so much they can do.

If you are planing on breast feeding make sure you stay on that. Make sure it's working as planned before you leave the hospital. Make sure the lactation consultants work with you. Don't let them brush you off. Figure it out. If you are still having problems and it's time to go home, ask the hospital if any of the nursed do paid home visits on the side, they probably do.

Lactation was a big issue for us (and others we know) and ended up really making life harder then it should have been.

Our little guy just would never latch on so my wife had to pump for about 6 months. It was a lot of extra work for everyone.

andi*pandi
Oct 11, 2011, 04:53 PM

I had a sleepy jaundiced baby who wouldn't latch either. The lactation "expert" at the hospital couldn't help, but a nurse gave me a referral to a lovely person who was very helpful.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 06:22 PM

Braxton hicks: I only had a few, enough to say, hey I think it's starting... oh wait. And wait. Two weeks.
Uh oh...

Yes ma'am!

Yes, he is.

We'll get him the hat. The gun won't come unless he wants it at 16 or so (after hunter's safety classes).

Hubby and I are fully prepared for life to suck for a few months, but from what they tell us "it's worth it" - we just keep focusing on that.
That seems to be the common thread, huh? What's getting annoying is people are STILL saying, "I know y'all think you're ready, but you're not! Ha-ha-ha-ha..."

A-friggin-men!
Confirmation. She's going to want to thank y'all.

It gets better as soon as they start sleeping for 5 or 6 hours in a stretch. That usually takes 2-3 months, but some people luck out and get one of those babies that does it in a few weeks.
[/praying]

The most overwhelming thing is just the newness of the whole thing. I'd never cared for a baby before. I'd never spent much time even thinking about babies. I had no idea what I was doing. Neither did my wife. You're in the hospital for a couple of days and then it's just, okay, see ya! Have fun at home! And BOOM... uh... now what? Uh, oh...

To be fair, we didn't have much help. My mom is basically useless, my wife's family is all out of town. We have plenty of friends, but there is only so much they can do.
Luckily, my family all lives in town (mother/father/brother/sister/families), and we're all really tight. I'll probably have to ask my parents to leave, so I'm not as worried about this.

If you are planing on breast feeding make sure you stay on that. Make sure it's working as planned before you leave the hospital. Make sure the lactation consultants work with you. Don't let them brush you off. Figure it out. If you are still having problems and it's time to go home, ask the hospital if any of the nursed do paid home visits on the side, they probably do.
Definitely. I think our hospital provides a lactation coach at no expense. All we have to do is call.

Lactation was a big issue for us (and others we know) and ended up really making life harder then it should have been.

Our little guy just would never latch on so my wife had to pump for about 6 months. It was a lot of extra work for everyone.
Advice definitely taken. Thanks!

Also...

We just got back from the doctor. The wife is at two centimeters, and has been taken off of work, effectively immediately. Doc is hoping to get her through Saturday, at least, to make it to 37 weeks.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 07:59 PM

I like that, good name.

I think we're going with Layla or Christian, but that could change at any moment!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

MrsLarry
Senior User
Oct 11, 2011, 11:02 PM

Ha...we had the boy/girl names picked out long ago. Going with Raylan.
I think we're going with Layla or Christian, but that could change at any moment!
Great names. Our girl is Ella Kailani. (Kailani is Hawaiian for 'the sea and sky')

We just got back from the doctor. The wife is at two centimeters, and has been taken off of work, effectively immediately. Doc is hoping to get her through Saturday, at least, to make it to 37 weeks.
Wow! So close! Unless I hear otherwise, we're 6 weeks out.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 11:37 PM

I like that, good name.

Love the name Layla. And yes, for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
Great names. Our girl is Ella Kailani. (Kailani is Hawaiian for 'the sea and sky')
Beautiful.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 12:02 AM

Yeah, I have to admit that it's my favorite Clapton song, but my wife loves the name meaning, "Night Beauty".

"In Persian and Arabic poetry, Layla was a beautiful girl with whom the poet Majnun fell in love. When Majnun asked for her hand in marriage, Layla's father refused to give his permission to the match. Layla was married off to another man and later died. Majnun's love for Layla eventually drove him mad - indeed, the name Majnun means "madness" or "madman." "Layla" is also the title of a well-known song by Eric Clapton which is based on the story of Layla and Majnun."
Sad but timeless.

Oh, and my favorite version, with Clapton and Knopfler on stage together. The definition of epic.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 03:37 AM

Ah, thanks for that one.

I really can't bear to listen to the MTV Unplugged version anymore.

I'm not sure why Elton John is *completely* inaudible in that mix, though. Even the piano-based second half is completely the regular keyboard player.

I figure this was an unrehearsed number Elton had not prepared, and perhaps forgotten to go off stage on time (he no longer shows up at all in the second part and has obviously left the stage). The sound guys definitely muted his piano. I wonder what the back story is. Odd for a final encore not to feature all of the guest stars.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2011, 10:59 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 11:03 AM

Gender?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2011, 11:15 AM

All boy...

...and lungs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 11:17 AM

Congratulations.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 11:34 AM

Well played Sir!!! Hope mother and baby are doing well.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2011, 12:05 PM

Thank y'all. Had a rough Monday, unexpected c-section, and lots of surprises the first day, but as soon as he was born, everything started working perfectly. Mom doing great, baby doing great.

Only issue: he's a Halloween baby.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2011, 12:21 PM

Check for horns.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2011, 01:10 PM

Only issue: he's a Halloween baby.
Better than being a Christmas baby.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2011, 02:15 PM

Vanilla Ice is a halloween baby. He's in good company.

Congrats!

Forum Links
Forum Rules