Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > And she's back! (Doctor Who Season 9, not Ca$h)

And she's back! (Doctor Who Season 9, not Ca$h)
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2015, 03:33 PM

Som after a really quite poor first season, a two part finale that was rescued by a star turn and a really quite good Christmas special, Peter Capaldi seems to have hit the ground running with the new season of Dr Who.

Long time Who fans will have had a ball. And the story was both fun and intelligent although we all know the doctor is never going to shoot a child (any child) in the face with a dalek gun.

Interestingly despite the high production values of the current incarnation vs the budget strapped classic series I thought the depiction of the ageless war on Skaro from Genesis of the Daleks was better than the one seen in this episode, although the Hand Mines go straight into the top 10 of Who creepyness.

The relationship between the Doctor and Missy seemed to fall straight into place and even Clara managed to be only mildly offensive. No one is buying her know it all character, every assistant seems to do it though.

Just one question? Maximum extermination? Do the Daleks ever do anything else? Is minimum extermination reserved for making toast or warming Dalek tea?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 23, 2015, 04:15 PM

I think the slaved Vortex Manipulators saved the pair somehow. My theory, in any event. We'll see.

Otherwise, Timey Wimey to the rescue!

mindwaves
Sep 28, 2015, 02:48 AM

I thought that this was a Ca$h thread. *leaves disappointed*

macdude22
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2015, 11:14 AM

EHHHHHHHH that Part 2 was really kind of, I don't know how to say it without spoilers. Even by Dr. Who nonsense science standards pretty weak.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2015, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I thought that this was a Ca$h thread. *leaves disappointed*
That was my exact thought as well. I guess he finally gave up.

andi*pandi
Sep 30, 2015, 03:00 PM

Vortex manipulators, for the win. 10 points to Mike.

Loving Missy, of course... her playing with Clara was fun. Thought that Clara in the dalek needed a little souflée girl reference. Can a dalek say "I am souflée girl?"

I got a little bored with Davros death soliloquy, just went on and on, and I knew it was a trap. Not totally buying that the Doctor knew it was a trap. He seems to hand out regeneration energy willy-nilly these days. I bet Adric would have liked some of that!

And we knew he'd go back and rescue the boy. That Davros still turned out evil genius, well, he tried.

Sonic Sunglasses seem like a one-trick pony... and not very ergonomic.

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2015, 02:56 PM

Haven't watched this week's yet... but what do people think of last week, and the Bootstrap theory? The Doctor breaking the 4th wall? The sonic sunglasses being repaired again (I was hoping being broken would bring a return of the screwdriver, but noooo....)

I feel like we're having a few too many recreations of "Just this once, everybody lives" which aren't as powerful, once, you know, it's not "just this once".

Still, vikings are cool.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2015, 12:49 AM

This week's episode was the best of the season so far.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2015, 02:11 PM

Am liking the two parters. Much better pacing. Episode 1 of this Zygon two parter had just waaaay too much people acting stupid so the plot worked.

I hope no country is looking at this episode and thinking that the level of stupid displayed by UNIT's finest is how soldiers are really trained in the UK.

Also. Please someone make Clara act. Just a bit. Please.

andi*pandi
Nov 10, 2015, 10:44 PM

I liked the two parter also... the doctor's speech at the end started smaltzy, but got powerful. Still, the problem solving was a bit pat.

I liked evil clara.

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2015, 02:00 AM

So glad Clara is dead. Loved the actress. Loved the first time we saw her. Even enjoyed most of her chemistry with Matt Smith. But ever since Capaldi took over they've been trying to figure out what to do with her, often giving her more displayed autonomy than any other companion, while somehow still managing to make her feel consistently ever so flat. (And Marry Sue.)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2015, 12:04 PM

So Peter Jackson posted a video on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/PeterJackso...3602968491558/
(Youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6agKVUCTM )

"Who are you?"

"I'm the Doctor,"

"Who?"

"That's correct,"

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Ω
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2015, 04:37 AM

More importantly it reminded me to download the Walking Dead
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2015, 05:15 AM

Loved the single handed Capaldi performance. He's really got his teeth into the doctor. The season seems to get better and better. Mind you Sleep no more was a bit of a duff step in my mind.

Will not miss Clara.

Ω
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2015, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Will not miss Clara.
Goodbye the smirking plank. No empathy for her.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

andi*pandi
Dec 3, 2015, 08:55 AM

They've been building toward her leaving, so I wouldn't have been shocked at her death, but it was a very stupid way to go. Lots of everyone being stupid.

I had been liking her more this season, as a balance for the doctor. I don't quite get the intense mourning episode/revenge speech she got compared to all the other companions lost. Goodbye ponds! Adric blew up, oh well!

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2015, 12:54 PM

And hello again Clara
:/

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2016, 03:24 AM

Moffat is out after the 2017 season (that's right, no new episodes for 2016 except Christmas).

NSFW: Doctor Who’s Tom Baker hilariously loses his shit during a voice-over recording session | Dangerous Minds

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2016, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Moffat is out after the 2017 season (that's right, no new episodes for 2016 except Christmas).
Will be good to have a new direction. I think the show was about done with Moffats style, which when it worked was excellent but was much more hit and miss that Russell T's.

Having to wait so long is rubbish, it's not as if Sherlock is on all the time either! Hey ho.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2017, 06:17 PM

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2017, 06:26 PM

I'm not heartbroken but it is becoming a bit of a revolving door.

Cue the debate over who will play next doctor...

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2017, 06:53 PM

Capaldi's first season was a complete horror show from start to finish. I can't bear to watch any of them. Stinker after stinker. He himself always managed to be watchable though and he transformed this into real genius in his next season.
Season 3 could be a stormer. Lets hope.

So 2018, new doctor, new show runner. Chibnall has a track record that can best be described as "patchy erring towards awful". He'll need a good Doctor to carry him.

P
Jan 31, 2017, 05:39 AM

I don't follow Doctor Who, but wasn't this supposed to be the last incarnation? That he had 12 charges to reincarnate and this is the 13th and last incarnation?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I don't follow Doctor Who, but wasn't this supposed to be the last incarnation? That he had 12 charges to reincarnate and this is the 13th and last incarnation?
That's quite a geeky knowledge for a casual show watcher.

The show addressed this in the 2013 Christmas Special when Smith regenerated into Capaldi, when the Time Lords granted him another cycle of 13 bodies.

(Like the BBC were going to call it a day because of some geeky fan fact)

P
Jan 31, 2017, 07:57 AM

As someone who didn't grow up with it, I had vaguely heard about the series before the reboot, and figured I should give it a chance when it was on (Swedish national broadcaster SVT is bffs with BBC and imports a lot of their shows, so I literally stumbled over it). That was the Ecclestone series, and I saw a couple of episodes before I decided that it wasn't for me. I totally get why it might be great for someone who grew up with it, but I just didn't see those huge saltshakers as even remotely threatening, and it just felt silly. I think this show is the sort of things that you should first see when you're young and impressionable to be able to enjoy them later in life - a bit like Star Trek.

These days I listen to several geeky podcasts, and Doctor Who keeps coming up, so I have learned some things. Osmosis, I guess. The bit about the regeneration I learned because they kept changing the actor and I wondered why, so I looked it up.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2017, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I think this show is the sort of things that you should first see when you're young and impressionable to be able to enjoy them later in life - a bit like Star Trek.
Probably. My daughter was 10 when it was rebooted. She loved it and still does. I think if you miss the warm glow and frights you get from it as a youngster you never really love it in the same way.

andi*pandi
May 1, 2017, 04:20 PM

Season 10, folks. What do you think? I am stockpiling a few episodes to watch at once, as HULU convinced me to join so I had other stuff to watch. But rumor has it new season is off to good start, people don't hate new companion!

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
May 1, 2017, 06:21 PM

A good solid start. E1 one of the better at solving the how to introduce the companion conundrum. That and E2 both quite stock Who episodes though. E2 particualrly could have been any Doctor from any season with any companion. Visually stunning though. E3 up a notch. Good to see a historical played pretty straight.
A few quick glimpses or the arc mystery and Nardol gets better episode on episode.

andi*pandi
Jun 27, 2017, 12:06 PM

So. Cliffhanger ending, but not really, because they spoiled it...

( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jun 27, 2017 at 12:57 PM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2017, 12:56 PM

Are the Daleks back?
45/47

andi*pandi
Jun 27, 2017, 12:57 PM

They've appeared this season, yes. But not in the finale.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2017, 07:22 AM

This episode was a real step up from the rest of the season. Some proper body horror going on, which is what the cybermen do best. Modassian cybermen SO out cool the usual ones.

Missy was fab as always, really sad that MG is off as well at the end of the season. It would be brave if they write Bill out so horrifically but I feel that it would be a bit too much.

really looking forward to the combination of Capaldi, Gomez AND Simm next week, shame the trailer seems to be bigging up the fireworks. A bit more dark horro would be better I feel.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2017, 03:31 PM

Despite all the spoilers about Simm, Capaldi leaving, etc, I still managed to be surprised by the cyberman reveal, I didn't pick up on where they were going until Bill got betrayed by MasterInDisguise.

I did love Missy's meta comments at the beginning. A bit self-indulgent writing, but fun.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2017, 02:15 AM

The new Doctor will be announced tomorrow after the men's Wimbledon final.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2017, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
The new Doctor will be announced tomorrow after the men's Wimbledon final.
The strong runout is for a female lead this time.
I confess I am quite old fashioned here. In my mind The Doctor is a male part.
I am happy for fans that are happy with whomever but I would prefer sticking. Sadly I'm not that keen on any of the favoutite men for the role though!

Also I really liked Missy so maybe I just fear change.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2017, 05:52 AM

I would be pleased for it to be Phoebe Waller-Bridge but she is the only regularly mentioned candidate that I would get excited about. Well, except part of the reason I would like it to be a woman is I think my daughter would love to see a female Doctor, but I'm not sure I want her becoming a Phoebe Waller-Bridge fan and track down Fleabag. I've got no issue with the Male/Female thing- in fact if they could figure out a fun justification to give it to Michelle Gomez- that would be my dream casting. I'm tired of Kris Marshall- to wet for the Doctor in my opinion, and I've never really warmed to David Harewood. I think he's a fine actor, but not really in a leading man way. Richard Ayoade get the occasional mention, and while I love his stuff, I'm not sure he has the range for the Doctor- kind of a one note performer.

But I'm also ready to give any of them a chance, enjoy it for what it is, and move on.

andi*pandi
Jul 16, 2017, 11:29 AM

I am trying to avoid spoilers either way, so I've never heard of these candidates. I did notice the doctor looked at his hand in surprise like it was unusual.

I'm mixed on male/female... they've established time lords are flexible on that, and I did enjoy Missy quite a bit... but I'd like the doctor male, I think. A bit concerned if new doctor is female the MRA nerdrage that might occur would ruin the show.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2017, 11:36 AM

Jodie Whittaker then.
:/

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2017, 12:51 PM

I'm okay with it- never expected it to be her. I assumed her name was only being thrown around because of the Chris Chiibnall/Broadchurch connection.

I will fully admit, I don't have a lifetime of history with the character- Doctor Who as an oddity I sometimes caught on PBS as a kid and I really didn't get into until I moved to the UK in 2006- so Tennant was my real 'first' Doctor, but as I said above, I'm completely ok with a woman Doctor- kind of excited in fact.

As for the MRA nerdrage- oh well. Someone else's problem.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2017, 12:59 PM

Just showed the trailer to my 13 yr old daughter- she caught on that it was a Doctor Who thing- then got excited because she thought for some reason it had something to do with River Song, then the penny dropped and she figured out it the next Doctor will be a woman.

She got a big stupid grin and said 'that's so cool.'

Good.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2017, 05:22 PM

Goes to show the BBC can yet enjoy many years of fuss about who they pick as Doctor in future.

I think Eddie Izzard would be fun, if a little too zany for the slightly more serious tone of the current version of the show.
I always liked the idea of Joanna Lumley but I think post Ab Fab she might be too inherently funny as well.
Helen Mirren would be fantastic but if she did it, it wouldn't keep her interested for too long.
Likewise for Hugh Laurie.
Stephen Fry could be great.
Julie Andrews.
Tony Head.
Lenny Henry
Billy Connelly would have been fun.
Patrick Stewart or Ian McKellan
Christian Bale.
Bring Daniel Day Lewis straight out of retirement.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Jul 17, 2017, 02:34 AM

Do they have a rule that the doctor must be played by British person?

Thorzdad
Jul 17, 2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I do, in fact, believe it's an informal internal agreement that the Doctor can be anything, but s/he must be British.

...A bit concerned if new doctor is female the MRA nerdrage that might occur would ruin the show.
Eff the MRAs. Seriously. They're a blight on men everywhere.

I'm pretty stoked about this new Doctor. I also liked how low-key and atmospheric the reveal was compared to the loud, international-broadcast bombast that was ginned-up for the Capaldi reveal. I loved Capaldi in the role, but that reveal was way too self-indulgent and over-the-top, and kind of made his first performances pretty anti-climactic.

Just for fun (and because she's the best thing ever) Here's Alex Kingston doing a talk when the announcement was made. I would love to have just one episode of the new Doctor encountering River Song somehow.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2017, 08:55 AM

Actually, English or Scottish only. Thus far, no Irish or Welsh allowed.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2017, 06:19 PM

I was trying to think of people I feel could pull of an adequate English accent. Russell Crowe might be good fun.

I don't see the Doctor working with an American accent for some reason. I think it even needs to be a reasonably posh English accent. Not sure Cockney Doctor or Scouse Doctor would work.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2017, 06:43 PM

The thread title needs a pronoun change.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 12:07 AM

Full disclosure: ridiculously huge fan of the original as a kid. Haven't watched any of the new series, and there's no good reason for it.

I like the idea of Time Lords having an unusual take on gender due to their unusual biology.

I hate ideas like that getting retconned, because I can't get over how no one ever behaved like that was the reality of the universe until the producers got the idea.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Full disclosure: ridiculously huge fan of the original as a kid. Haven't watched any of the new series, and there's no good reason for it.

I like the idea of Time Lords having an unusual take on gender due to their unusual biology.

I hate ideas like that getting retconned, because I can't get over how no one ever behaved like that was the reality of the universe until the producers got the idea.
Err...you mean like when Romana changed 4 times in 5 minutes?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Err...you mean like when Romana changed 4 times in 5 minutes?
Yes, but it's easier to come up with fanwank explanations for that one. I think the consensus was a small percentage of TLs had the ability.

But that shows the nature of the problem. What makes that good fanwank is it explicitly addressss the continuity issues. Good luck with this one.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2017, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Yes, but it's easier to come up with fanwank explanations for that one. I think the consensus was a small percentage of TLs had the ability.

But that shows the nature of the problem. What makes that good fanwank is it explicitly addressss the continuity issues. Good luck with this one.
Well, regeneration itself was made up to keep the show alive. I don't think it's any big deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules