Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GameCube vs. PS2 from a 7 Year Old's Perspective

GameCube vs. PS2 from a 7 Year Old's Perspective
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2003, 08:32 PM

So I my roommate has a 7 year old son and he has a playstation downstairs on his father's TV. I have a GameCube attached to mine. He's up here playing NBA Live! 2003 on my GCN and I looked at him and asked him: "So Which system do you like better the PS2 or the GameCube?" and he said "Oh definitely the GameCube." and I asked "Why?" and he goes "Oh cause the controller works better and the graphics are like 1000 times better!" I think he just likes the WaveBirds and the way he can reach the L and R buttons without having to move his hands around and as for graphics....I think he's comparing NBA Live to like some of his old PS 1 games that he plays on the system so disregard that comment.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2003, 08:40 PM

Kid's got some smarts. Well, the GameCube is a more powerful machine in terms of graphics (polygon-pushing, effects, hardware, etc.), but not 1000 times. Give him some Smash Bros.

*awaits Cash's retard post*

k3vmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 08:42 PM

Maybe you can enlighten a future buyer. PS2 or Xbox?

I've read the XBOX crushes PS2 on graphics... but the PS2 has so many more games since its backwards compatible.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by k3vmo:
PS2. The PS2 exclusives like Vice City are better than the Xbox exclusives.

Both are very good systems though.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2003, 08:51 PM

I've read the XBOX crushes PS2 on graphics... but the PS2 has so many more games since its backwards compatible.
Definitely GameCube.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Definitely GameCube.
if you dig nintendo games...

zelda, mario, metroid and etc

if you gravitate to everything else...PS2 or Xbox

if you like games that come out on all systems...sports games for instance....Get a XBox, if not - PS2
snappy

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:

Not only Nintendo but Capcom, Namco, Sega, Factor 5, Silicon Knight, etc as well.

You get more awesome games with Gamecube. Here are few examples:

Product Number 03
Mighty Joe
Phoenix
Kill 9
Resident Evil 4
F-Zero (Sega's Daytona USA team is working on it)
Starfox Armada
Too Human
Soul Calibur with Zelda's boyfriend (jaw-dropping animation)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle
Metal Gear Solid
... and several other

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2003, 09:32 PM

u sound like a GC fanboy man...

all 3 consoles have good games, i already conceded GC has great games they make themselves but dont sell the others short

PS2 has great games too and the xbox has bought themselves great games

so like i said...if you be loving the nintendo flagships:

link, mario, metroid, starfox � nintendo is for you
snappy

vasu
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 09:54 PM

Just to correct Adam on a few points here:

Viewtiful Joe not Mighty Joe
Dead Phoenix not Phoenix
Killer 7 not Kill 9
Soul Caliber 2 with Link not Soul Calibur with Zelda's boyfriend

And on that last note... Zelda's boyfriend? Have you ever played a Zelda game???

-vasu

k3vmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 10:02 PM

Its not about what kind of games I like. Can anyone provide some valid points on which system is better. Not just because it has more mario games?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2003, 10:08 PM

u sound like a GC fanboy man...
I think he was just pointing out that Nintendo has more than Mario, Metroid, and Zelda, as you seemed to imply. The "gravitate to everything else" thing implied that, I think.

And the list is larger than that.

Honestly, though, all the systems have great games. Look at the game lists, read reviews -- see what's for you. I bought a GameCube simply because of the flagship titles -- all the Mario games, Zelda, Metroid, and so forth are all worth it, in my opinion, and the exlusives are just pluses. And I've found no compelling games or reason to get a PS2 or Xbox yet. I'll probably end up getting a PS2 when the price drops again.

Its not about what kind of games I like.
Well, yeah, it is. That's pretty much anyone's reason for getting a system. If you want to look at about 100,000 more polygons per frame (6,000,000 for a 60 FPS game) and more bump-mapping effects than your average GC game, get an Xbox. You want lower quality textures, lower polygon counts, and graphics that often don't have deflickering on, go with a PS2. You want what's in between, get a GC. If you want to play games, find out what games you want to play.
( Last edited by MindFad; Mar 15, 2003 at 10:13 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2003, 10:40 PM

if you gravitate to everything else...PS2 or Xbox

if you like games that come out on all systems...sports games for instance....Get a XBox, if not - PS2
Eidos and Electronic Arts are NOT going to support the XBox Live system, but will support the PS2 and GameCube.

So if you like any of the EA Sports and want to play your buddies over the net, you can forget about an XBox.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

k3vmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2003, 10:42 PM

Well, yeah, it is. That's pretty much anyone's reason for getting a system. If you want to look at about 100,000 more polygons per frame (6,000,000 for a 60 FPS game) and more bump-mapping effects than your average GC game, get an Xbox. You want lower quality textures, lower polygon counts, and graphics that often don't have deflickering on, go with a PS2. You want what's in between, get a GC. If you want to play games, find out what games you want to play.

Good point. But I simply don't like the fact that Nintendo hasn't been backwards compatible. I don't think I'll be getting my money's worth if I buy a system and a few hundred dollers in games only to find out Nintendo is releasing a new console that now takes a different size cd, or even a cartridge again.

Xbox hasn't been around long enough to know what its fate is.. thats why I'm leaning towards PS2. Seems like its the most reasonable(economic) between compatability and price as well as performance.

Does that make sense?

hrm.. or maybe I should stick with PC games..

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2003, 10:52 PM

Good point. But I simply don't like the fact that Nintendo hasn't been backwards compatible. I don't think I'll be getting my money's worth if I buy a system and a few hundred dollers in games only to find out Nintendo is releasing a new console that now takes a different size cd, or even a cartridge again.

Xbox hasn't been around long enough to know what its fate is.. thats why I'm leaning towards PS2. Seems like its the most reasonable(economic) between compatability and price as well as performance.

Does that make sense?

hrm.. or maybe I should stick with PC games..
Well, this is Nintendo's first disc-based system, so it's not like you could stick an N64 cartridge. GBA supports every time of Game Boy game. And that isn't to say Nintendo's next console won't support GameCube games -- we just don't know yet.

The PS2 is definitely awesome with its backwards compatability. And you can watch DVDs. Sounds like you think it's a good deal, so go with it. Everyone should have a PC and a console. Go for it.

Cipher13
Mar 15, 2003, 11:08 PM

If I got a PS2, it would be solely for Vice City and Gran Turismo.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2003, 12:52 AM

I don't think nintendo has anything planned console-wise until 2005. But JEEZUS FRIKKEN CHRIST!! ITS INSANELY BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE! Or will be at least Whaen the gameboy player gets released (which is in the next few months i think) the library of games for the cube will be increased by hundreds of titles!!! All gameboy games will work on it. This is very exciting. I like PS2 more than XBox, because xbox hasn't got much in the quality of games department, at least in my experience, but nintendo has all the really exciting titles coming up this year. I am trying to find a job so i can afford all these games!!!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 01:08 AM

Kid's got some smarts. Well, the GameCube is a more powerful machine in terms of graphics (polygon-pushing, effects, hardware, etc.), but not 1000 times. Give him some Smash Bros.

*awaits Cash's retard post*
Well that's true but when I look at GT3 I can never figure out how PS2 pulls it off so well.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2003, 01:40 AM

Edit: Changed it because I thought you said GTA3, and not GT3.

GT3 is very impressive. A good example of a talented team that writes an awesome 3-D engine. Up to 5000 polys per car (so it says on the web site), most definitely depending on distance (reduction would occur when the caar appears further away, if they wrote a good engine ), maybe a reflection map or three, some city structure. Not to play it down ... but it's nothing any of the other consoles couldn't do. It's an awesome game, though -- when's the next one coming anyway?
( Last edited by MindFad; Mar 16, 2003 at 01:51 AM. )

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by vasu:
Soul Caliber 2 with Link not Soul Calibur with Zelda's boyfriend

And on that last note... Zelda's boyfriend? Have you ever played a Zelda game???
I was just playing around Don't take it too seriously. I know his name is Link though.

Mark, you sound like you have some sands up your... I'm not a fanboy, I'm just stating that GameCube do not only have Zelda, Metroid, Mario but some great games from other companies as well. You made it sound like all other games sucks except those few games from Nintendo. I like some games on PS2 too so you should stitch your pie hole close tightly to prevent any sands from leaking

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 02:35 AM

If I had to pick from just one console, PS2 would be it. PS2 has the most extensive library even if you don't factor in the PS1 titles in the equation. If there is a game being developed, more than likely there will be a PS2 version. The exclusives on the PS2 are far more compelling than those on the Xbox or GameCube. The PS2, IMHO, is a must buy.

That being said, I own two consoles, the second one is the GameCube. Why? Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil, Starfox, etc. Nintendo has the best list of 1st party title games.
Who'sDaMac?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 04:21 AM

Not to play it down ... but it's nothing any of the other consoles couldn't do. It's an awesome game, though -- when's the next one coming anyway?
Still, I haven't seen anything on the GameCube that impresses me technicaly as much as Gt3 did.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 04:22 AM

I'm not a gammer any more... but I would never buy an Xbox... they're just evil! We know what microsoft did with windows and office, you don't want them doing the same thing to gamming do you?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2003, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Still, I haven't seen anything on the GameCube that impresses me technicaly as much as Gt3 did.
Well, it's no more "technically" advanced than most other games. I found Metroid Prime and Rogue Squadron more impressive from a 3-D engine standpoint. Maybe because it's so pretty. There are plenty of games that are more advanced ... technically. Damn near best looking racing game I've seen, though. A quality GC racer would be nice.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 04:49 AM

A quality GC racer would be nice.
A Mario Kart would do!

Seriously, I agree with you and Solo about GT3 being the best looking racing game. I didn't even know that it's possible to have those tons of polygons on PS2. Seem like that is the best PS2 could do. GameCube still have plenty of fluids left so probably we'll see something even more impressive than GT3 soon (perhaps Factor 5's next project will fill this spot?)

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
A Mario Kart would do!

Yeah, I can't wait for that, but Miyamoto recently confirmed that it would not be an online game. Hopefully it will, at least, have LAN capabilities, as he hinted that games would have this feature coming this year. 16-player Mario Kart? Hell yeah.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 04:55 AM

Yeah, I can't wait for that, but Miyamoto recently confirmed that it would not be an online game. Hopefully it will, at least, have LAN capabilities, as he hinted that games would have this feature coming this year. 16-player Mario Kart? Hell yeah.
Really? Damn! Maybe he want to save the surprises for E3?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 08:41 AM

My younger brother (8) prefers my PS2 to his GameCube, he prefers the games like GTA and TimeSplitters 2. I am going to sell his GameCube and purchase a Xbox. Solely for Halo & Halo 2
we don't have time to stop for gas

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Fallout:

Halo alone crushes PS2, not to mention Doom 3 will come out for Xbox, same with Halo 2.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
Halo alone crushes PS2, not to mention Doom 3 will come out for Xbox, same with Halo 2.
Halo? Yawn. If you want anything better than FPSs then don't get an XBox. Oh, I mean FPSs and suggestive volleyball.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2003, 02:05 PM

Halo felt slow and sluggish compared to most PC FPSes I've seen. I'm surprised FPS fans like it so much...

BlackGriffen

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
Halo felt slow and sluggish compared to most PC FPSes I've seen. I'm surprised FPS fans like it so much...

BlackGriffen
Maybe because it has the most advanced AI for any game, PC, console, etc. The graphics are still top 5 in the gaming world too.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2003, 02:57 PM

Maybe because it has the most advanced AI for any game, PC, console, etc. The graphics are still top 5 in the gaming world too.
I didn't know they did AI in the GPU . Or maybe it's because you cannot aim as quickly or accurately with a stick as you can with a mouse.

BG

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 02:59 PM

Well, it's no more "technically" advanced than most other games. I found Metroid Prime and Rogue Squadron more impressive from a 3-D engine standpoint.
Rogue Squadron drops frames like nuts though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

imaxxedout
Banned
Mar 16, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
So I my roommate has a 7 year old son and he has a playstation downstairs on his father's TV. I have a GameCube attached to mine. He's up here playing NBA Live! 2003 on my GCN and I looked at him and asked him: "So Which system do you like better the PS2 or the GameCube?" and he said "Oh definitely the GameCube." and I asked "Why?" and he goes "Oh cause the controller works better and the graphics are like 1000 times better!" I think he just likes the WaveBirds and the way he can reach the L and R buttons without having to move his hands around and as for graphics....I think he's comparing NBA Live to like some of his old PS 1 games that he plays on the system so disregard that comment.
Wait, let me get this straight, a 7yr old kid in elementary school who has elementary school knowledge likes the gamecube better?

NO WAY!!!!!!

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Fallout:

Yep,

I got a ps2 a little while ago, love it

You might wanna look here
I don't know how up todate/correct it is, but it's still interesting. Try seeing the part "1.4 - What are the differences between the PS2 and
Dreamcast/XBox/GameCube?"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Rogue Squadron drops frames like nuts though.
On a few levels, yeah. No worse than maybe 20 FPS. But it also features way more geometry and effects than in GT3. And there's way more going on in terms of AI to boot.

This just goes to show that graphics really shouldn't matter, and that it's all in the hands of a talented team of programmers and artists. Write an awesome engine, get a group of talented artists together -- you've got yourself an awesome game.

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
I didn't know they did AI in the GPU . Or maybe it's because you cannot aim as quickly or accurately with a stick as you can with a mouse.

BG
They don't do AI in the GPU. It's done with the rest of the system. When it comes down to it, Xbox is the most powerful system console on the market, battle tested and champion approved. Halo has the best AI in any game, try it out, see for yourself. Put the game on legendary and see how long you live.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2003, 08:48 PM

Am I the only one that thinks Halo is lame?

Well, lame at least compared to PC-based FPS shooters.

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Am I the only one that thinks Halo is lame?
Nope. I felt that it was rushed and lacked polish. Quite boring too.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 09:43 PM

I also thought it was pretty lame.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2003, 09:48 PM

The thing that bothered me most about halo is how repetitive the level designs were. You couldn't figure out where you were half the time because all the rooms looked the same.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 09:50 PM

I like Halo. Rushed? heh. Right...

-Owl

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
The thing that bothered me most about halo is how repetitive the level designs were. You couldn't figure out where you were half the time because all the rooms looked the same.
Well, I kind of agree with you there, sometimes it gets repetitive, but the enemies keep getting harder, so it makes up for it. As for Halo being lame, I just don't understand, I think it's hands-down the most realistic FPS ever. The strategy required and the AI of the enemies is enough to make an army elite playing it cry... (exageration)

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
There was one chapter of the game like that, but not "half the time". One chapter out of, what, 10?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2003, 01:09 AM

I was playing the Marathon mod for UT the other night when my flatmate walks in, looks at the monitor, and goes "What's this? Looks like a Halo rip-off". I had to laugh.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by TommyLeeRoth:
I was playing the Marathon mod for UT the other night when my flatmate walks in, looks at the monitor, and goes "What's this? Looks like a Halo rip-off". I had to laugh.
I'm confused. Both games were made by the same company.

Hell, the Marathon logo's in the Halo cover.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

TommyLeeRoth
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by starman:

Hell, the Marathon logo's in the Halo cover.

Mike
Exactly.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 04:21 AM

Originally posted by starman:

Mike
Exactly, that is why he laughed

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

vasu
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 04:10 PM

And on another note, Star Wars Rouge Leader 2 and Starfox Adventures have the best graphics I've seen on any system. The fact that all the games graphics are real time is simply amazing. No prerendered scenes, or cutscenes that make you think the game is better looking than it actually is.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 11:31 PM

Both are true, but xbox is mostly a sports machine. If you exclude halo all it seems to have is racing, football, basketball..etc. PS2 does have more games, but most of them are sh*t. (Just my opinion)

I had my ps2 when GTA was released thought it was an awesome game, if you don't mind crappy graphics --I mean Mario64 has better graphics or at least up to par. And if you don't mind being lied to with the "non-linear" gameplay bs RockStar feeds you. But hey you get to bang hookers and then kill them...cool

Its totally sweet that Zelda: Wind Waker out sold Vice City in preorders, I mean the game isn't even out yet and it has sold over half a million copies Then there's Metroid --another awesome game. I couldn't stop playing it, even after I passed it. Eternal Darkness is sweet too. Oh..! Sorry I got off topic. My advice would just be to weigh the pros and cons.
( Last edited by Beewee; Mar 17, 2003 at 11:52 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules