Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A question for an expert about MacJanitor.

A question for an expert about MacJanitor.
hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 01:36 PM

Hi I have a question. I downloaded Macjanitor for Panther and it runs perfectly. My only question is why is there an option for daily, weekly, monthly and all tasks? Why wouldn't I just select "all tasks" every time and have it perform the system clean up.
What's the point of choosing the other options that do less tasks?
Any help appreciated.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 01:50 PM

It depends on how often you run MacJanitor. If you run it every day, you probably don't want to take the time to run the tasks that only need to be done on a weekly or monthly basis.

dagaz
Nov 20, 2003, 04:46 PM

My only question is why is there an option for daily, weekly, monthly and all tasks?
If you leave your computer on 24/7 (and I don't mean sleeping) you don't have to worry about using this as MacJanitor is just a graphical front end for three processes that operate normally on Mac OS X. However, they are set to run at ungodly hours. The daily script is set to run at 4:15 AM every morning, it basically removes "scratch and junk files". If you would like to see what the daily script does type "sudo sh /etc/daily" into the terminal and you can watch it do its thing. The weekly script is set to run at 4:30 am every Saturday, and it basically "rebuilds locate database" and a few other things like that, type "sudo sh /etc/weekly". The monthly script runs at 4:45 AM on the first day of every month, and it does "login accounting" and "rotating log files". To see what this does type, you guessed it, "sudo sh /etc/monthly". Note after you type the first "sudo" command (short for "super do") you will be asked for your admin password. If you have never run a sudo command before you will be given a brief spiel about it hoping you know what you're doing.

What's the point of choosing the other options that do less tasks?
Well you can't do any harm by doing them more than what's required but I hope you now understand what's going on.
Not compatible with Windows

dagaz
Nov 20, 2003, 05:55 PM

Forgot to mention in my post above that you can also change the time the different scripts will run by editing the file /etc/crontab. This is a hidden system file so you can't access it from the finder, but you can from the terminal. I wouldn't suggest messing around with this file unless you feel comfortable using the terminal, but there's a good hint somewhere on http://www.macosxhints.com on how to change the times these scripts run.
Not compatible with Windows

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by dagaz:
Forgot to mention in my post above that you can also change the time the different scripts will run by editing the file /etc/crontab. This is a hidden system file so you can't access it from the finder, but you can from the terminal. I wouldn't suggest messing around with this file unless you feel comfortable using the terminal, but there's a good hint somewhere on http://www.macosxhints.com on how to change the times these scripts run.
or you can download the donationware Cronnix and have an UI to do this easily.

Forum Links
Forum Rules