Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What is up with my Panther install???

What is up with my Panther install???
eScrib
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 05:23 PM

I've posted this before, but I've exhausted ALL my troubleshooting efforts on this. I'm pretty disappointed right now.

This is disturbing... The following issues haven't appeared until the installation of Panther.

My setup:

Dual 533 w/ 768 megs of RAM
Hitachi 19" monitor
External Que! firewire burner
USB hub
Apple keyboard and MS Explorer mouse
iSub w/ Pro speakers

My finder widgets are discolored. Blue and Pink. Also, some of my iPhoto thumbnails are hosed, and I get weird colors appearing in Safari.

However, everything else looks good. No other icons are affected... This wasn't an issue in Pre-Panther installs.

I've tried archiving and installs of Panther. I've tried completely CLEAN installs. Nothing!!!

I know there are people that are having issues with Sawtooth machines and GF4 cards... This is REALLY ticking me off.

Anyone have any ideas???

Here are some screenshots...

http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble/color1_sm.jpg
http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble/color2_sm.jpg
http://www.eas.purdue.edu/~eribble/color3.jpg

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2003, 05:26 PM

Have you gone to Displays and calibrated your profile for your monitor? Or repaired the profile under ColorSynk Utility?

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
Have you gone to Displays and calibrated your profile for your monitor? Or repaired the profile under ColorSynk Utility?
Oh yeah... I've determined It's not a colorsync issue. And a clean install shouldn't have these issues.

Only the finder widgets are hosed, along with any images that were inported into iTunes post-install of Panther.

All other apps look good... Colors are crisp.

It's really weird.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2003, 05:36 PM

Yes, I looked at your screenshots, and it is definitely a weird occurence. Never seen anything quite like it.

Could it be a slightly loose cable to the monitor or display card? I seem to remember something like this happened to me a long time ago, and that is what it was.

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
Yes, I looked at your screenshots, and it is definitely a weird occurence. Never seen anything quite like it.

Could it be a slightly loose cable to the monitor or display card? I seem to remember something like this happened to me a long time ago, and that is what it was.
Checked both...

redJag
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 07:33 PM

Any other ideas out there? My system developed this problem after a trip from my college residence to home.. Just fine before I turned it off there, now the same problems as eScrib when I turned it on here. I've calibrated the colorprofile, checked connections of ALL cards inside the computer, repaired permissions, zapped the PRAM.. nothin' doin. However, when booting in OS 9 there is absolutely no sign of this problem.
Travis Sanderson

dagaz
Nov 22, 2003, 09:45 PM

However, when booting in OS 9 there is absolutely no sign of this problem.
I haven't yet installed Panther so this is more of a question back, maybe you need to update your firmare? I know that a firmware update was neccessary for most computers before installing Jag.
Not compatible with Windows

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by eScrib:
I've posted this before, but I've exhausted ALL my troubleshooting efforts on this. I'm pretty disappointed right now.

This is disturbing... The following issues haven't appeared until the installation of Panther.

My setup:

Dual 533 w/ 768 megs of RAM
Hitachi 19" monitor
External Que! firewire burner
USB hub
Apple keyboard and MS Explorer mouse
iSub w/ Pro speakers

My finder widgets are discolored. Blue and Pink. Also, some of my iPhoto thumbnails are hosed, and I get weird colors appearing in Safari.

However, everything else looks good. No other icons are affected... This wasn't an issue in Pre-Panther installs.

I've tried archiving and installs of Panther. I've tried completely CLEAN installs. Nothing!!!

I know there are people that are having issues with Sawtooth machines and GF4 cards... This is REALLY ticking me off.

Anyone have any ideas???
Are you using FileVault? It was busted in 10.3 and I had lots of similar (but not exactly the same) problems. 10.3.1 fixed the FileVault bugs but won't repair damage already done.

redJag
Senior User
Nov 23, 2003, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by dagaz:
I haven't yet installed Panther so this is more of a question back, maybe you need to update your firmare? I know that a firmware update was neccessary for most computers before installing Jag.
Hmmm, I really don't think that's the issue. I've used 10.0-10.3.1 without this happening. I've been using Panther for a couple weeks at least before the issue started.

A little update on the situation: I've tried deleting my color profiles and preferences and restarting, no dice. I discovered there is also no problem when viewing my iPhoto pictures in Adobe Photoshop, so it seems to be Apple softwares only..

Can't try a reinstall till next week, hopefully won't have to go that route
Travis Sanderson

Cipher13
Nov 23, 2003, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by dagaz:
I know that a firmware update was neccessary for most computers before installing Jag.
Not true at all.

Anyway: someone else in #macnn was having this issue too. I've seen a few occurrences.

redJag
Senior User
Nov 23, 2003, 04:57 AM

FIXED! Previously, I had moved all my colorsync profiles out of the folder and restarted, and this did not fix the problem.

However, I noticed Photoshop was reporting that the current profile was corrupt, and that if I used it anyway, it also displayed the psychedelic colors, and if I didn't, it displayed fine.

By actually deleting the offending profile and logging out, problem solved! The Finder icon has yet to right itself, but the Trash icon didn't right away either but has since returned.

Anyway, I can live with a cyan Finder icon for awhile
Travis Sanderson

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2003, 05:14 AM

Good to know the fix for this. I saw the exact same problem (down to the exact same colors in iPhoto and such) on a machine I helped upgrade from OS 9 to Panther. A reinstall on that machine fixed the problem.

It was a Powermac 667 with a GeForce 4 MX card.
<This space under renovation>

redJag
Senior User
Nov 23, 2003, 10:58 AM

Also, in the /Library/Caches directory if you delete the dock's cache files and then kill it or login/logout that will clear any messed up icons.
Travis Sanderson

Forum Links
Forum Rules