Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problems with Disk Utility and Norton Utilities for 10.3.1

Problems with Disk Utility and Norton Utilities for 10.3.1
Numenor
Nov 23, 2003, 03:41 PM

For some reason when I try to run Disk First Aid using either of these programs they don't recognize my hardrives as existing or I can't repair the hardrive which has my OS on it. I can't do anything with either of them....

Help....

dagaz
Nov 23, 2003, 04:59 PM

Disk Utility can only repair hardrives which are NOT the start up drive. To check your start up drive you either have to boot up from another partition or from the Install CD and access Disk Utility from under the Installer Menu, OR you can boot into single-user mode at startup (hold down Apple-S after the chime) until you see a >prompt. Typing "fsck -yf" will perform exactly the same function as Disk Utility's First Aid (just without the graphical interface -it stands for file system consistency check), keep typing this until it says the disk appears OK then type reboot. Same deal for Norton's they can't repair a boot drive either, for that you should boot from the Norton's CD, but be warned that Norton's has a pretty bad rep with OSX. Two much preferred utility are either Disk Warrior or Drive 10.
Not compatible with Windows

Forum Links
Forum Rules