Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Software Update is driving me crazy

Software Update is driving me crazy
Gavin
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 05:20 PM

Just upgraded to panther and now SU constantly tells me that "newer versions" of iPhoto and iMovie are available. Of course I already have these versions, I just moved them to a subfolder /Apps/iApps where I keep the apple stuff.

I thought they fixed this path specific crap.
They even show up in the Installed Updates log because I accidentally downloaded them once already. 120MB YIKES!

Anyway, is there a way I can hack it to make it shut up? Maybe tweak or fake a reciept file or something?

In related news, on my laptop several of my control panels are listed under Other in System Preferences. On my desktop they are under Personal. WTF?

They are Desktop, Print & Fax, Expos� & Security.

Not a problem really but just kind of bizzare. Anybody else seen this?
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 06:41 PM

Problem number one:

In the software update program, click on the updates that you don't want. Then select "Ignore Update" from the "Update" menu. Voila, the updates don't show anymore.

Problem number two:

Buggered if I know. Sorry mate, sounds pretty messed up! Perhaps you could try deleting some preferences?

Gavin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 06:45 PM

"Ignore Update" - nice!

Score one for Panther.

Thanks
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2004, 06:59 PM

Try changing the view under System Preferences from "Categories" to "Alphabetically"....then change it back to "Categories" and see if that will trigger the right order and category for your prefPanes...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Gavin:
"Ignore Update" - nice!

Score one for Panther.

Thanks
It was there in Jaguar, too. Unfortunately, most people were too dumb to find it.

Gavin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
It was there in Jaguar, too. Unfortunately, most people were too dumb to find it.
Interesting ...

What is it about someone having sexual intercourse with thier own mother that makes their posts so helpful?

OpenStep
Senior User
Feb 16, 2004, 11:21 PM

Interesting ...

What is it about someone having sexual intercourse with thier own mother that makes their posts so helpful?
This topic about making a software update inactive has been covered many times before and by doing a simple forums search would have revealed the answer.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 12:28 AM

Just upgraded to panther and now SU constantly tells me that "newer versions" of iPhoto and iMovie are available. Of course I already have these versions, I just moved them to a subfolder /Apps/iApps where I keep the apple stuff.

I thought they fixed this path specific crap.
They even show up in the Installed Updates log because I accidentally downloaded them once already. 120MB YIKES!

Anyway, is there a way I can hack it to make it shut up? Maybe tweak or fake a reciept file or something?

In related news, on my laptop several of my control panels are listed under Other in System Preferences. On my desktop they are under Personal. WTF?

They are Desktop, Print & Fax, Expos� & Security.

Not a problem really but just kind of bizzare. Anybody else seen this?
First, I don't think the path-specific stuff is yet fully removed from Panther.

Second, to fix the preference panes issue - download and run Panther Cache Cleaner. Can't recall which cache exactly needs to be reset, but this has fixed this same issue for me and a couple of friends.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 08:34 AM

Interesting ...

And that was helpful how?�
I was basically going to say the same thing as wataru. Only, I would have chosen "lazy" over "dumb".

As others have already stated, the ability to deactivate software updates has been around for a while, and a search would have solved that mystery.

My question is this:
When someone is having a problem with a particular piece of software why do they not explore the Menus or Preferences? A lot of times the answer is right there�

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2004, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
My question is this:
When someone is having a problem with a particular piece of software why do they not explore the Menus or Preferences? A lot of times the answer is right there�
OS X, and specifically Panther, has always had a very good built-in "Help" as well. A simple request for "Ignore" under System Preferences "Help" has an absolutely crystal clear explanation of what the Ignore feature does and how to reset it later on if you want those ignored updates to come back again...

"Help" is there for a reason, yet nobody goes there first. Odd.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 12:08 PM

Interesting ...

Weak man.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 04:18 PM

My question is this:
I completely agree. However, in another quite interesting thread , people are mentioning tricks which actually can be read in the System Preferences.

dagaz
Feb 17, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
First, I don't think the path-specific stuff is yet fully removed from Panther.

Second, to fix the preference panes issue - download and run Panther Cache Cleaner. Can't recall which cache exactly needs to be reset, but this has fixed this same issue for me and a couple of friends.
To fix the Preference Panes trash the file ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache
Not compatible with Windows

Gavin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by dagaz:
To fix the Preference Panes trash the file ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache
Thanks,
didn't do the trick though.

This is happening in every account. There is no such file in /Library/Caches

I think I do have some sort of wierd caching problem system wide since the upgrade.
I'm also getting a wierd glitch in Mail. When I edit a rule I get some mystery rule instead (not one in my rule list), I close it and try again and it pops up the right one. Later I'll get the mystery rule again. I can only assume it's cached somehow.

I didn't have enough room on the laptop to do a clean install so I installed over Jag. As I look around I'm finding cache files from the olden days.

I've tried a couple of cache cleaning tools as suggested, but no dice.

Gavin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
Weak man.
True,
but so is getting insulted out of the blue by some dork.

I've watched the level of weenieness steadily grow on this board. And wading through all the BS posts displaying a 12 year old's mentality gets old. Luckily there are still pleanty of people who know something and are helpful.

Besides we haven't heard back so I guess I touched a nerve

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 09:23 PM

Lets be nice to each other...

Gavin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 10:47 PM

My question is this:
The answer is this

It's not a matter of not wanting to upgrade to newer versions of some application it's a matter of the installer not knowing that I already have this package. That's a bug. It is not logical to assume that a minor update to the installer would add some hack to work around it. Secondly, in jag this was never an issue so there was no reason to look for it then.

As to the 'don't show this' menu item, it is designed to keep stuff like software for an iPod (which I don't have) from showing up. It should also be in a contextual menu anyway.

The warning you get when you choose this option is ambiguous: "You will no longer be notified of new versions of this update." "new versions of this update" ?? do you suppose they mean new versions of this 'application'. I DO want to see about NEWER versions just not this one. So what happens when a real newer version comes up? Does it tell me?

So this really isn't a solution to the problem of the installer not knowing what it has previously installed.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2004, 11:01 PM

I DO want to see about NEWER versions just not this one. So what happens when a real newer version comes up? Does it tell me?
Nope. Not until you "Reset Ignored Updates" will you see newer versions of the Application...

(edit: I found this under the "Help" menu of System Preferences...give it a shot!)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2004, 12:56 AM

Besides we haven't heard back so I guess I touched a nerve
No, I just didn't feel that I had to stoop to your level. Besides, I think other people already made my point.

In case you missed it: This topic has been covered repeatedly. A simple search would have given you all the info you need. Instead, you decided to add to the weeniness of the forums by posting unnecessary threads.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 07:03 AM

Instead, you decided to add to the weeniness of the forums by posting unnecessary threads.
Remains the question: what is the right definition of "unnecessary threads"

But again, do a search first and you will be amazed how often this was aksed / covered!

Gavin  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 06:05 PM

No, I just didn't feel that I had to stoop to your level.
Stoop to your level? Dude, you called me an idiot. You added nothing to the conversation. You didn't point me to a previous thread, none of which solve the problem by the way. You just jumped in for the sole purpose of insulting me.

That's just plain rude and not cool. I doubt you'd ever act that way face to face with real people and in fact most of the time your posts are pretty helpful. I admit I looked up your post history expecting to find some obnoxious jerk with a lot of 'you suck' posts but that's not the case. You seem like a good guy who helps people out which makes your swipe at me surprising.

I'll admit your post kind of ticked me off so I took a flippant shot at you. I'm willing to let it go if you are.

To answer the idea that this thread is redundant, as I mentioned above the solution is not to be had in the menus or anywhere in the application itself, or in previous threads for that matter.

The 'don't show this' function is not meant for the problem of broken pathways, it's for people who don't have an iPod and don't need the software at all. For my issue it just covers up the annoyance and really creates a new one. Now I have to manually check for things every so often then hide it again, which is a hassle and defeats the purpose of an automatic software update.

So I'm asking for a solution not a weak work around. Which makes this thread legitimate as far as I'm concerned.

So where is it getting the path to iMovie? Does it get it from the update server then check my disk? Or does it keep a list somewhere local that I can edit?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2004, 07:30 PM

I'm willing to let it go if you are.
Sounds good to me.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 08:49 AM

So where is it getting the path to iMovie? Does it get it from the update server then check my disk? Or does it keep a list somewhere local that I can edit?
You could try to delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist Library/Preferences. Don't know if that helps, though.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 09:46 AM

Perhaps you should create symlinks to the apps you moved until Apple gets "this path specific crap" sorted. Then it should look like the apps are where they are supposed to be�

Forum Links
Forum Rules