Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod playback issue

iPod playback issue
CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 04:17 PM

This has really been pissing me off. OVer the last couple weeks, my iPod has had some memory problems. It seems that when I play certain artists or albums, the iPod just freezes for about a minute. Then once it wakes up, I lose about 1/5 of my battery. It's really annoying. Half of the artists I listen to have problems with playback. Here are some:
AC/DC, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Megadeth Motorhead, and Pantera. It is very annoying. I've restored factory settings, reencoded half my tracks, charged it and used it often, etc. and nothing seems to work. Do I have a defective iPod?

k3vmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 07:22 PM

Most likely not. Everything you described sounds software related. You said you restored to factory settings? Did you use the iPod updater to do that?

Try downloading the latest from the apple website. Restore your iPod. Transfer 1 album at a time and listen to see if the problem goes away.

I've fixed plenty of iPods by just restoring with the latest software.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 08:51 PM

Did that�it was a failure. Got the latest update, restored iPod twice and updated one by one. Hell, I converted my whole library to AACs. Here's what happened when I listened to a Deep Purple album after I did all this work:
1. Pressed play. HD starts crunching. And crunching. Everything freezes. Skips the first Track, Highway Star.
2. Repeated step 1 for Maybe I'm A Leo.
3. Finally got one track to play: Pictures Of Home
4. Never Before started to play, but stopped playing music 2 minutes into it. Skipped to Smoke On The Water.
5. Did the same as it did for Never Before to Smoke On The Water.
6. It skipped Space Truckn', which was out of order. It comes after Lazy, but Lazy was after Space Truckn' for not reason.
7. Lazy didn't play.
8. When A Blind Man Cries skipped.

Similar experiences for much of everything else. I'm getting pretty pissed of right about now.

k3vmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
Did that�it was a failure.

Similar experiences for much of everything else. I'm getting pretty pissed of right about now.
Shessh, I'm trying to help. Take it easy. Have a local apple store? I'm sure they'll take care of you since it sounds HW related now.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2005, 03:58 AM

Sounds like impending drive failure.

You've formatted it, it's crunching and making physical noises as well as hiccuping on data transfer.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2005, 04:03 AM

If you have DiskWarrior, you could try that, but it sounds as if you're going to need to take it into a shop.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
If you have DiskWarrior, you could try that, but it sounds as if you're going to need to take it into a shop.
Sorry if I came off as angry at you k3vmo. My $350 investment is pissing me off. After redoing it this many times it has to be a screwed up drive. That would explain the frequency of hard drive fixes (the little magnifying glass thing with the progress bar). I'm not exactly sure how to get DiskWarrior to read it. I've tried DW. Man what an ugly site. The graph is terrible. But I get an error when I try to rebuild it.
That's another $50 at the Apple Store for repairs. Ah ****. I haven't had this much clicking and clanking on a drive since my old Compaq. And that thing was the captain of crunch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules