Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > playing mp3's

playing mp3's
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 10:17 AM

which application do you ppl advise to me?

I like audion, but even with an 20 MB ram space, it freezes way to much (2.6)

other players look to simple

I want it to be able to go on with really huuuuuge playlists

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Jerommeke ]
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Mac_Nacho
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2001, 10:36 AM

get iTunes, is good (iTunes 2 will be even better), solid, has support for your mp3 player, easy navigation, and you can burn CDs..
Otherwise I would go for SoundJam (which now turn into iTunes....)
cheers
Don't get Music Jukebox or whatever is called, it's crap.
iMac 1GHz 17" Super Drive
iPod 5GB

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 11:55 AM

DUH! iTunes Apple made it, so it is %$@@ awesome! im at school on one of the 3 imacs here listing to an internet radio station! through iTunes!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2001, 12:01 PM

iTunes, ewwwww!!

Skips waaaay to much for my liking even on my G4. The best Mp3 program ever was Soundjam MP before Apple bought it out to make iTunes. Sadly it is no longer available. But I still have it and it works like a damn charm....lousy Apple.

A nifty little player that uses almost no RAM is Cabrio

Its free too so I'd get that before getting the skippy iTunes.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 12:40 PM

I think iTunes is too limited. Even with the new changes in iTunes 2 I really miss some things inside it;

- skins
- a way of making it more easy to handle, it takes so much SPACE on my screen
- an equalizer which equalizes, and not freezes my imac
- a counter system of how often i play songs
- an option to keep mp3's sorted in directories such as in Audion or Soundjam, but being able to put it off and on and off and on and off again so it is being listed as in iTunes, something I very much miss in Audion. (I count how many times I play the mp3, and then sort, but I have put the mp3's in a very hierarchical system on my hd

and Audion and iTunes both have shown uncomfortable mp3 collection of over 54 hours long (1269 items)
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Cipher13
Oct 24, 2001, 07:50 PM

Audion 1.5 is THE BEST there is.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2001, 09:09 PM

I like and use SoundJam MP Plus. It has more functions than iTunes (minus the burning CD thing, which i use Toast Ti for anyway) and although its free I just don't like the fact it has no equalizer... well it doesnt until iTunes 2 comes out.

You want cheap get: iTunes or Soundapp

You want good: Audion or look on eBay or online for SoundJam.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2001, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
<STRONG>I like and use SoundJam MP Plus. It has more functions than iTunes (minus the burning CD thing, which i use Toast Ti for anyway) and although its free I just don't like the fact it has no equalizer... well it doesnt until iTunes 2 comes out.

You want cheap get: iTunes or Soundapp

You want good: Audion or look on eBay or online for SoundJam.
</STRONG>
I agree fully, SJ is the best program there is (sorry Ciph, Audion doesn't cut it). It works perfectly with Toast Ti, snappy, uses a reasonable amount of memory, and never skips. In fact it keeps on playing even when my computer freezes.......now thats a music program!

In fact when I first used it I was so impressed that I bought it (way back in the version 1.5 days)...which is rare for me.

I said it once and I'll say it again, its a damn shame its no longer on the open market.....lousy Apple.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 10:30 PM

iTunes2 really looks good especially with the equalizer. I use iTunes right now.

Cipher13
Oct 24, 2001, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by sek929:
<STRONG>

I agree fully, SJ is the best program there is (sorry Ciph, Audion doesn't cut it). It works perfectly with Toast Ti, snappy, uses a reasonable amount of memory, and never skips. In fact it keeps on playing even when my computer freezes.......now thats a music program!

In fact when I first used it I was so impressed that I bought it (way back in the version 1.5 days)...which is rare for me.

I said it once and I'll say it again, its a damn shame its no longer on the open market.....lousy Apple.</STRONG>
Audion 1.5 is better. Sorry. Better skip-proofing. Better sound.

I use Audion 1.5 on the G4, and SoundJam MP on the 5500, cause it plays MUCH better than Audion on the 5500.

iTunes 2 is identical to iTunes 1 except for new buttons, and the equaliser.

The EQ does these cool little animations when you change the presets - the sliders all slide into place

Hehe.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2001, 10:19 AM

audion 2.6's sounds seems gorgeous to me, in combination with my stereo set in which i plugged in the sound

is 1.5 of the same sound quality?
is 1.5 haveing a counter function?

I also solved my big freezing problem with audion, by just getting rid of all my directories in the playlist. it now sometimes quits, but that's ok with me, becoz i can relaunch it with no problemos at all

I am wondering if this performance is because of the large amount of ram i gave it (it had 20 MB of ram, and constantly uses about 5 or 6 MB of it).

anyone knowing if the memory of audion fills up the more you play or not?

and are these probs solved in os X

I have soundjam mp too, but I think it is too simple; I really miss the counter function only audion has

Cipher13
Oct 25, 2001, 07:22 PM

Which counter function is that?

Audion 1.5 sounds identical to 2.6 - HOWEVER - its playlist is, in my opinion, far superior, and it *NEVER* crashes.

I hated the 2 series because it was so unstable - 1.5 simply will not crash on you.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2001, 03:53 AM

it counts how much my mp3's are played, it even stores it in the id3 tags i guess....

hmm, great

audion 2.6 is runnng here ok, with 20 MB's of ram it can serve a long time, and if it becomes full I relaunch the app, so all works fine, now I have put the directories away

butt.... anybody here who knows where i can try 1.5?

Cipher13
Oct 26, 2001, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by Jerommeke:
<STRONG>it counts how much my mp3's are played, it even stores it in the id3 tags i guess....

hmm, great

audion 2.6 is runnng here ok, with 20 MB's of ram it can serve a long time, and if it becomes full I relaunch the app, so all works fine, now I have put the directories away

butt.... anybody here who knows where i can try 1.5?</STRONG>
Yeah, I'll send it to ya. Just contact me one way or another...

|
|
V

DocWest
Senior User
Oct 26, 2001, 11:24 AM

Try everything you can. All the people here have their favourites and will stick to em.
Cipher reckons Audion sounds better, I reckon SoundJam sounds better.
It's a matter of personal taste.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2001, 05:17 PM

I have experience with both of them, and I listen punk/ska music

Audion is better to me

Thank you, Cipher13, I've added you to my Buddies at AOL... Dn't know how we are ghonna transfer this thing, as file transfer over ICQ, aol, msn or yahoo doesn't work at all overhere

nah, we'll see

Forum Links
Forum Rules