Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problems with Newertech 802.11n cardbus network adapter

Problems with Newertech 802.11n cardbus network adapter
silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2008, 03:49 PM

I am using this http://www.newertech.com/products/laptopcardbus.php

on a Powerbook G4 15 inch 1.67ghz model running OSX 10.4.11 and is all up to date.

The problem is that even though its own wireless utility and the network pane in OSX system preferences say it is connected to my network, and that I have an IP address of 192.168.1.xxx nothing will connect to the wi-fi When I turn the Airport back on, it connects instantly and I can surf and browse and be on the internet, thats what I had to do now to post this, but I would like to connect to my "N" network at "N" speeds without slowing it down with the "G" airport.

Is there something I am missing? I followed the install directions to the letter, and this is actually the second one I tried because when I called MacConnection to ask them whats going on, we tried a few things and then RMAed it because we felt it was faulty, but not two in a row...

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
( Last edited by silverflyer; Oct 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM. )
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2008, 08:14 PM

Have you contacted Nwertech support?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2008, 01:44 PM

If you can find me a phone number for them I would be happy to give them a call.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2008, 01:51 PM

I guess what I should also ask is, is it possible that there could be a problem on hte logic board that would allow it to appear is if it would work, get an IP and everything, but not allow the software to connect to it and then the internet?

This particular G4 already has one bad ram slot.

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2008, 10:42 AM

Anybody?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 11:15 AM

If the card is recognized then it sounds like a software issue. The only support option NewerTech provides is an email address: [email protected]

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If the card is recognized then it sounds like a software issue. The only support option NewerTech provides is an email address: [email protected]
I am aware of their e-mail. tried it and found them to be useless.

it will be going back and I will use ethernet cable instead...

Forum Links
Forum Rules