Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Plugging my Mac Pro into a 52 inch HD tv...

Plugging my Mac Pro into a 52 inch HD tv...
silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2009, 04:14 PM

What kind of resolution will I get if I use a DVI to HDMI Adapter, does anyone know if it will be sharp and clear or bad like most computers plugged into TVs.

Thanks.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2009, 04:33 PM

Without knowing, I'd guess an HDTV resolution such as 1920 x 1080. My old Amiga 3000 could be plugged into an NTSC monitor and would provide NTSC video so I think the same is true for today's technology.

Why not just plug your Mac into your TV and let us know what resolution you get.

P
Feb 17, 2009, 05:57 AM

DVI to HDMI is all digital and no active conversion, so the picture will be as sharp as the TV can make it. For LCDs, that is very sharp. For Plasmas, it's a little worse but still OK. Only thing is that the TV is usually very limited in the resolutions it will accept. All of them must accept 1280*720 at 50 and 60 Hz, most also accept 640*480 and 1024*768 at 60 Hz, and bigger ones accept 1920*1080 at 50 and 60 Hz (All HDTVs must accept that interleaved, but computers usually only output progressive resolutions). 1360*768 is another common variation. Check what the native resolution of your TV is and set that as the resolution on your Mac, and all should be good.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 17, 2009, 07:50 AM

Note that getting 1:1 pixels can be tricky on some TVs, which always want to overscan.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2009, 09:25 AM

Plugging into a HD TV is a completely different ballgame than the old days of plugging into a TV. I have a Windows HTPC for Hulu/NetFlix plugged into my 55" TV--the quality is less than Blu-Ray, but the convenience is huge. Depending on your TV, you might get a resolution like 1280 x 768 or you might get 1920 x 1080 or somewhere in between. Regardless, you'll get a decent enough picture.

Also, DVI and HDMI are electrically the same. You won't lose quality converting. Many Outlaw Audio processors had DVI connectors, they just recently switched over to HDMI.

As for overscan, my TV detects a "computer" on the HDMI input and underscans a little bit. Definitely no overscan issues. And my TV is pretty old. You'll be fine. I'd suggest browsing around on avsforum.com for more home theater help; lots of people there doing stuff like this.

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the information, I appreciate all the replies.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules