Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > 'Crazy ant' invading Texas, destroying electronics

'Crazy ant' invading Texas, destroying electronics
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 18, 2013, 07:03 PM

Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin have discovered that the US fire ant population is being pushed out by "tawny crazy ants," with an affinity to the interior of electronic devices. The ants are capable of nesting in nearly any container, and as they travel, they disrupt other ant populations.

"They nest in electronics and create short circuits, as they create a contact bridge between two points when they get electrocuted they release an alarm pheromone," says UT research assistant Edward LeBrun. "The other ants are attracted to the chemicals that other ants give off. At this point, more ants arrive and create a larger nest."

Some researchers claim that a single nest can contain multiple queens, and normal poisons and baits have little effect on the new species. Without assistance migrating, the species travels approximately 650 feet per year.

The initial name of "Raspberry Crazy Ants" was named after pest control worker Tom Rasberry who first discovered the ant, and reported the population to Texas A&M researchers. The scientific name for the subspecies is Nylanderia fulva.

andi*pandi
May 18, 2013, 09:31 PM

So, there'll now be real bugs in our electronics again, just like the first one. Great.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2013, 10:15 PM

i read this story on yahoo a day or two ago. never thought i'd see it here.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2013, 10:23 PM

I am waiting for a movie version of this. I am sure someone is brainstorming right now.

reader50
Administrator
May 18, 2013, 11:12 PM

Sounds like it would be easy to make a trap for these ants. Just like those UV bug zappers. All you need is a tightly spaced grid in a box near the ants. With normal bug zapper internals otherwise.

apostle
Forum Regular
May 19, 2013, 02:50 AM

Enjoyed the story! Ever since I was knee-high to an ant I remember the "fire ant" being the bad boy on the block. The ultimate evil that will destroy humanity! Heck, they even made movies about fire ants. And then in walk the Rasberry ants. Reminds me of the movie Rocky. 'You ain't so bad, you ain't so bad'.

Anyone wondering why this story is here, look up the term "bug" as it applies to computers.

Fwiw: Bug zappers kill more "good bugs" than "bad bugs". Google it. I disabled the "zapper" but kept the UV light. I let Nature and Bats sort it out.

Again, nice story. More proof that mankind is not as "in charge" as it would like to believe.

Everyone else: Lighten Up!

Namaste

=0)

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 19, 2013, 09:57 AM

Sound like a good name for a game: "Crazy Ants".

airmanchairman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2013, 08:04 AM

"I am waiting for a movie version of this. I am sure someone is brainstorming right now."

Right you are; this has all the right movie elements - Antz, African Killer Bees, Short Circuit, A Bug's Life, Creepy-crawlies - you name it, this real-life story's got it!

airmanchairman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2013, 08:05 AM

"I am waiting for a movie version of this. I am sure someone is brainstorming right now."

Right you are; this has all the right movie/game elements - Antz, African Killer Bees, Short Circuit, A Bug's Life, Creepy-crawlies - you name it, this real-life story's got it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules