Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > [DF] Sig Images

[DF] Sig Images
wheeles
Apr 29, 2002, 07:19 PM

I've been messing about with the signature image templates and have thrown together a few sig images for Distributed Folding. If you fancy a laugh at my lack of artistic abilities you can find them at http://homepage.mac.com/wheeles/PhotoAlbum3.html. Feel free to poach them.

Enjoy!

edit: corrected the link

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: wheeles ]
Join the fun Join Team MacNN

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 07:34 PM

Heh, I thought that was a dinosaur in that image.

wheeles  (op)
Apr 29, 2002, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
<STRONG>Heh, I thought that was a dinosaur in that image. </STRONG>
I just stole it from distributedfolding.org. Anyways, you'd need a bigger piece of paper for a dinosaur.

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 07:50 PM

I only said that because I had never seen that logo before.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 29, 2002, 08:32 PM

The direct page link is here.

Wheeles, if you have no objection, I'll get around to adding a couple to the team pictures page.

A problem with sigs is that most projects do not offer much in the way of suitable graphics. RC5 is the exception. Could someone mail me a screen shot showing the (windoze) dFold screen saver running, along with the file's custom icon (if any)? The screen saver is one possible source for small graphics.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2002, 09:00 PM

In the download section of dfold's website they have a good screenshot of the screensaver.

here

I fear that when you shrink it down to fit in the sig, the amino-acids won't be recognizeable.
-- SBS --

DocWest
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 12:38 AM

Here's my attempt:

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 01:40 AM

Great DocWest. maybe another version can have the protein covering the entire background, even behind the MacNN logo. I'll work on it too and post what I get.
-- SBS --

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by DocWest:
<STRONG>Here's my attempt:

</STRONG>
Nice one. I like it.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 02:09 AM

Finished!

I'm not sure why the solid blue background doesn't appear to be solid blue in the .gif format. Oh well. I'm not entirely happy with the font, but I couldn't find a better one, so if anyone has some suggestions.

Wooo! Over 500 posts, and it only took 19 months! hehe! I seem to have sped up my posting here at college, due to my always on internet access. Back home with the 56K I was much slower.

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: SkiBikeSki ]
-- SBS --

Grozni Majmun
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2002, 02:38 AM

I'll take it! Great work skibikeski. I liked docwest's too, but the colours of the aminos or whatever they are are clearer in yours. Nice, I'll use it as my sig as soon as it gets posted.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 03:00 AM

If I could i would post the UBB code so you can add it to your sig. right now. But the code would be tranlated and you'd never see it. For now i can give you the address, and you can fifure out the code yourself.
http://homepage.mac.com/skibikeski/TeamDFoldSig.gif

Have fun.
-- SBS --

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by SkiBikeSki:
<STRONG>If I could i would post the UBB code so you can add it to your sig. right now. But the code would be tranlated and you'd never see it. For now i can give you the address, and you can fifure out the code yourself.
http://homepage.mac.com/skibikeski/TeamDFoldSig.gif

Have fun. </STRONG>
Cool! I really like it.

Still my all time favorite team sig is the Ubero#2. I think that is because pretty much most of Washington State is addicted to Capaccino & Expresso. I think it has something to do with the plethora of cloudy, cool and rainy days. On any business street, every other corner will have a coffee shop or a capaccino stand. My normal work day starts with a 20 oz triple or quad mocha. (note to self: get machine for home to save money) --- Java, the world's biggest legal addiction.

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Shaktai ]

wheeles  (op)
Apr 30, 2002, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
<STRONG>The direct page link is here.

Wheeles, if you have no objection, I'll get around to adding a couple to the team pictures page.
</STRONG>
Feel free to use any of the images. I quite liked the origami but when you shrink it and reduce the colour depth it loses something. I had considered recolouring it and not using so many tones, but I know squat about graphic design and how to use these tools.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by wheeles:
<STRONG>

Feel free to use any of the images. I quite liked the origami but when you shrink it and reduce the colour depth it loses something. I had considered recolouring it and not using so many tones, but I know squat about graphic design and how to use these tools.</STRONG>
That is the problem I ran into. I was going to do what you did, but couldn't figure out how to shrink it without losing detail. You did pretty good though. Much better than my failed attempt.

Grozni Majmun
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2002, 12:14 PM

Thanks Skibikeski

(I know, I already said that, but I had to put something into this sig-test-post)

DocWest
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 08:48 PM

Alrighty, my second attempt:

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 08:54 PM

Very nice Doc. Your text look's better than mine. What's your trick?
-- SBS --

DocWest
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 09:37 PM

Well I moved the little blobby bits (What are they anyway? Protein thingies?) around so I didn't have any under the writing, cuz it sorta makes it hard to read. And I just used a font that looks like the one they use. It is Helvetica in italic. It looks good, so it'll do.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2002, 09:46 PM

DocWest, I like it! I was thinking last night that SkiBikeSki's background combined with your lighter, lowercase text would look good.

Nice contributions everyone!

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 09:58 PM

Nothing like teamwork to create success. The combined efforts of both together do look great. And wheeles efforts are good to, so now we have a choice and reader didn't have to do "all" the work.

Great job guys!

DocWest
Senior User
Apr 30, 2002, 10:18 PM

Shaktai's right, it was teamwork that helped here!
Great work!
Team MacNN all the way!!

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the advice Doc. i actually kept the same font, I find it easier to read. I also left the amino-acids at 100% opacity. I did however more them, and I compressed it to .gif differently and it looks much better. Se here's a side by side comparison

The old one:

The new one:

the address of the new one is http://homepage.mac.com/skibikeski/TeamDFoldSig2.gif
-- SBS --

reader50
Administrator
Apr 30, 2002, 11:24 PM

Feel free to keep fiddling with the sigs, guys. They do look good.

My free time has been tied up for the past week, that has prevented much in the way of site updates. It might be a few more days, so there is time to make perfect sigs.

ps - I prefer to post both forum-size and double-size versions of the sigs. I'd suggest working at the double size then reducing, you tend to get better results. The double-sized ones are for sigs on other forums, and for posting on the team's project page (on projects that allow custom logos to be posted).

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2002, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
<STRONG>
ps - I prefer to post both forum-size and double-size versions of the sigs. I'd suggest working at the double size then reducing, you tend to get better results. The double-sized ones are for sigs on other forums, and for posting on the team's project page (on projects that allow custom logos to be posted).</STRONG>
That can be arranged.

I should have thought of that right from the start. Now I need to go back, but it'll be easier the 2nd time.
-- SBS --

DocWest
Senior User
May 1, 2002, 07:05 PM

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 3, 2002, 02:28 PM

Just a note to say how cool the dfold sig. is! It really stands out around Macnn, and I'm sure it will attract a lot of interest to the team, great work guys!!

Cheers,

Marc

wheeles  (op)
May 3, 2002, 05:33 PM

From little acorns come mighty oaks. Now maybe we can attract a few more people into the fold.

&lt;Yes, I couldn't resist the pun.&gt;

mikkyo
Senior User
May 4, 2002, 08:00 PM

I like them all.

Here is the crazy idea I've been playing with..

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: mikkyo ]

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
<STRONG>I like them all.

Here is the crazy idea I've been playing with..

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: mikkyo ]</STRONG>
I like the basic idea, but just a little too busy looking. Still better than I could do.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2002, 03:01 AM

Nice one mikkyo! But what is that large white blob between the R in RC5, and above distributed?

I finished the large version of my DF sig. And I also made the small version by shrinking the large one, and it does look better that way. Thanks reader for the tip.

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: SkiBikeSki ]
-- SBS --

mikkyo
Senior User
May 6, 2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by SkiBikeSki:
<STRONG>Nice one mikkyo! But what is that large white blob between the R in RC5, and above distributed?</STRONG>
That would be the blue Apple highlite. I used one of the generic sigs with the apple as a starting point. I figured it needed to convey a strong sense of Mac as well as Apple.

I agree is it pretty darn busy, but it is hard to fit all those projects we work on in one little team sig.

reader50
Administrator
May 6, 2002, 08:28 PM

It is only going to get worse. We could get a Genome@home client any day now. Also, DC seems to be catching on, and more clients are coming to the Mac. I would not be surprised if a year from now, we were in 10 active projects.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2002, 10:55 PM

Now that I know its a Apple logo I can make it out. You might want to put the logo in the layer just in front of the background, and crank up the opacity on that layer. Just a thought.
-- SBS --

reader50
Administrator
May 11, 2002, 04:09 AM

The new dFold sigs are up, along with a couple of Genome sigs for good measure.

I had to do minor editing on several of your sigs guys, mostly pixel touchups on the small versions, which are hard to keep sharp.

For anyone interested, here are the logo fonts:
  • dFold: Trebuchet MS
  • Folding: Verdana Bold
  • Genome: Verdana Bold (actually Vardana Bold Outline, with color filled in, but for solid-color, bold produces the same silhouette)
  • Ubero ... I never matched it up, but did not need to.
  • RC5 ... does not use a font on the logo
  • Seti ... could not find a match
General advice on sig work, use the PICT blanks. Do everything at millions of colors, and make the color drop to 256 GIF as the very last step. When you resize, picture elements will antialiase MUCH better if it has more colors to work with at that stage.

Nice work everyone.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: reader50 ]

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 11, 2002, 04:32 AM

Thanks Reader for posting them, and everyone who did a really nice job on all these. We have some real talents on this team.

Forum Links
Forum Rules