Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > worst week of my life

worst week of my life (Page 2)
juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2001, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by MacCube:
I'm surprised nobody here has suggested going to the college or university counselling department.
Not to knock on you or anything but people have! A couple of times. Also, he has gone there already.

------------------
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

MacCube
May 13, 2001, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
Not to knock on you or anything but people have! A couple of times. Also, he has gone there already.

I didin't suggest going to the university loan department. I suggested going in to get personal counselling, not financial counselling. Who else suggested this?

------------------
Proofread carefully
to see if you
any words out.
Proofread carefully
to see if you
any words out.

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 13, 2001, 04:42 AM

I'm sorry, I think we are having a difference of language here... What do you mean by counceling? Like psychiatric counceling? Or like, financial advisor, counceling. And yes, counceling is spelled wrong, I just have no clue what it is correctly.

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 05:49 AM

Some people keep suggesting the military.
Before I went to university I had to do 18 months of service and all I learned was how to waste valuable time, besides emptying an UZI on a piece of cardboard which was actually fun.
Intellectual challenges are ZERO, unless you want to make a career out of it and go for the stars. From how I read you, you're not the type ( be glad).

------------------

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by chris_h:
What?
I think this is a scam. Who posts their mailing adress on the net along with a sob story. That says SEND MONEY to me, and it looks like at least one person has.

If it's not a scam, then sorry for your bad luck, dump the parents, finish school, and then help your brother. Simplify, what do you have to do to finish school as quickly as possible? Do that.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

snitty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2001, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Matsu:
I think this is a scam. Who posts their mailing adress on the net along with a sob story. That says SEND MONEY to me, and it looks like at least one person has.
You have got to be kidding me, right no one could make up a story like that. You're lack of compation, and your lack of faith in humans sickens me. I'm sure you think that third world countries don't exist either and they are just made up so people will send money to them, and it will be swollowed up by some greedy company.

And chirs, I insist that you stay in school, you may even beable to do CS in the army, isn't the school year almost over? Try to sit it out till the end of the year, then take a day, and figure out if you will work over the summer, or go into the army and have them pay for your college.

------------------
-----------------------------
Ben Snitkoff
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"
--Douglas Adams R.I.P.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2001, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
Some people keep suggesting the military.
Before I went to university I had to do 18 months of service and all I learned was how to waste valuable time, besides emptying an UZI on a piece of cardboard which was actually fun.
Intellectual challenges are ZERO, unless you want to make a career out of it and go for the stars. From how I read you, you're not the type ( be glad).
It has been suggested several times, because it is a solution to the problem. Depending on the number of credits Chris has, he can enlist at a rank of up to E-3. They will provide housing. The will provide food. He will get a pay check twice a month. He can go into a Computer/IT field, and get on the job training. He can take classes while he is in. They will pay for school when he is out. And you can get an enlistment bonus of $20,000+ depending on the field you go into. I get the impression that Chris is less worried about being bored than he is about getting his life back on track. It's not the solution for everyone, but people are just trying to make him aware of the option.

Matsu. Please do not donate a singe dollar to help Chris. I'll double my contribution to cover you. Besides, what's a Canadian dollar worth anyways?

------------------
-Carpe Jugulum
Nemo me impune lacesset

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 02:16 PM

[quote]Originally posted by ThinkInsane:

It has been suggested several times, because it is a solution to the problem. Depending on the number of credits Chris has, he can enlist at a rank of up to E-3. They will provide housing. The will provide food. He will get a pay check twice a month. He can go into a Computer/IT field, and get on the job training. He can take classes while he is in. They will pay for school when he is out. And you can get an enlistment bonus of $20,000+ depending on the field you go into. I get the impression that Chris is less worried about being bored than he is about getting his life back on track. It's not the solution for everyone, but people are just trying to make him aware of the option.

Matsu. Please do not donate a singe dollar to help Chris. I'll double my contribution to cover you. Besides, what's a Canadian dollar worth anyways?

That's the army? Where do I sign up ?

------------------

theiliad
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2001, 06:56 AM

Hey Chris, I just sent you a few dollers...
It's not much but I hope it helps..

ps please mail me when you recieve it..
thanks

------------------

iEasyPOD - The easiest way to convert all your videos for the iPod

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 14, 2001, 10:05 AM

My free advice: don't feel sorry for yourself.

Work hard - get those grades. Then, with your head held high, get that job and watch the $$$ roll in. In just a few short years, all this will be a distant memory.

And yes, until you can really afford to support them, your parent are going to have to rough it. In the long run, it's better for everybody concerned to have a few hard years and then break out of it, than to drag eath other down and never get anywhere.

Wow - I'm really glad the UK has something called the Welfare State - basically, people in a situation like you and your parent's are entitled to accomodation and basic income. Nodboy has an excuse to be homeless here.

spike
Forum Regular
May 14, 2001, 12:31 PM

Keep the faith... and keep us posted about your situation!

MacCube
May 15, 2001, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
My free advice: don't feel sorry for yourself.

Wow - I'm really glad the UK has something called the Welfare State - basically, people in a situation like you and your parent's are entitled to accomodation and basic income. Nodboy has an excuse to be homeless here.
That's good advice, man!
After you mentioned it, it just ocurred to me. Why doesn't he just go on the dole? Government-supported welfare is set up (at least here in Canada) for people in situations just like yours. Is there nothing similar in the US of eh?

------------------
Proofread carefully
to see if you
any words out.
Proofread carefully
to see if you
any words out.

spike
Forum Regular
May 15, 2001, 04:16 AM

In Europe we pay more taxes (up to more than 50%!), that's why we get better welfare than in the states. You can't have both: pay little taxes and get a good welfare protection. It's a matter of choice.
If I could choose... I would pay less taxes and take care of my own!

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 15, 2001, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:

[/B]
First off it's not so much a distrust of people, just of the medium. Come on who knows whom here? And secondly, here in Canada we have stopped referring to them as dollars, please refer to our money as Canadian Pesos in the future.

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 15, 2001, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by snitty:
You have got to be kidding me, right no one could make up a story like that. You're lack of compation, and your lack of faith in humans sickens me. I'm sure you think that third world countries don't exist either and they are just made up so people will send money to them, and it will be swollowed up by some greedy company.

You are snitty, aren't you? Well, about compassion and faith, I'll leave that to people who know me to decide. But as I've always said of the third world, we need it just the way it is, after all I have a standard of living to maintain.

Nicko
Professional Poster
May 15, 2001, 10:47 PM

You are snitty, aren't you? Well, about compassion and faith, I'll leave that to people who know me to decide. But as I've always said of the third world, we need it just the way it is, after all I have a standard of living to maintain.
Wow, I really pity your lack of humanity.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 15, 2001, 10:51 PM

of course, matsu's kidding.
look where he's from: canada!
he LIVES in a third-world country!

------------------

"the world is what we make it" �
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Macintosh
Banned
May 15, 2001, 11:10 PM

WOW!

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:

hehe! Actually its more like Eastern Europe and the Soviet Bloc, at least that's what I call it....

-john (canadian)
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Daishi
Forum Regular
May 15, 2001, 11:41 PM

I understand where Matsu is coming fro,. This is how people do scams on the internet. They make "friends" on the internet and then pretend they are in trouble and hopefully somebody suggests sending the scammer money to help him/her out. Scams that sound exactly like this have happened and will happen again. People fall for it because it's realistic. People do become part of an online community and then fall on hard times. And some people pretend. The sad part is that it's usually damn near impossible to tell the difference.

I'm not accusing chris of being a scam artist at all. He could be. And he could also be exactly what he says. I'm happier giving people at little bit of the benefit of the doubt. But other people are more cynical, and with reason.

That being said, I believe you, chris_h. There's been a lot of good advice in this thread, and I wish I could add some more, but I haven't got anything of much value. Just stay strong and keep moving. And no matter how things go, don't forget that there are people out there rooting for you, and I can guarantee at least one person praying for you. Hopefully, that's worth something...

------------------
Vocatvs atque non vocatvs Deusaderit
Vocatvs atque non vocatvs Deusaderit

chris_h  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2001, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Daishi:
I understand where Matsu is coming fro,.
Me too... but hey, if anyone here lives in austin, you're welcome to drop by and see my empty apartment and stack of collection notices ;-)

Originally posted by Daishi:
I can guarantee at least one person praying for you. Hopefully, that's worth something...
I'm not a religious person, but believe me it is...

-
[email protected]

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 16, 2001, 05:33 AM

hehehe Scary thing, that may be more accurate than you know.

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 16, 2001, 10:53 PM

Just wanted to bring this back up for the people who bought into that bag of BS from chris_h. You do an awful lot of posting for a guy in such dire straights. Shouldn't you be working or looking for a job instead of wasting time here?

chris_h  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2001, 11:31 PM

Just wanted to bring this back up for the people who bought into that bag of BS from chris_h.
Matsu, if you don't believe me, that's fine. But please try not to be such a jerk about it. I've met some really good friends here, but you're obviously not one of them.

You do an awful lot of posting for a guy in such dire straights. Shouldn't you be working or looking for a job instead of wasting time here?
It's obvious you haven't attempted reading through the thread, since you'd know that I am working about 60hr/s a week (I took on two part time 30hr shifts). I've only been home about 15 minutes. Since I no longer have a life outside of work, yeah, I post at macnn alot (and I even get to read it from work some).

I'm glad that not everyone is as hateful and cynical as you... this world would suck alot more. And I really hope you're just trolling when you say things like:

But as I've always said of the third world, we need it just the way it is, after all I have a standard of living to maintain

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 16, 2001, 11:46 PM

...and he's obviously trying to push buttons.
always ignore those who would pull you down, hold you back.
also, No obstacle is insurmountable.
meanwhile, at least you don't live in canada!

(btw, my girlfriend's from montreal, so i'm joking too...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

el matteo
Forum Regular
May 17, 2001, 01:22 AM

I'm glad I read this thread. I'm really no help but reading it did sort of help me...I was having a pity party tonight because I'm running out of money fast, and reading what happened to Chris is basically like the same general problems as me, except times 5 (car, apartment, family troubles, etc). Besides...I think i have too many "things" for a 20 year old kid. Maybe it's time to shed myself of some of these earthly belongings (who was it that said something about only owning what you can carry on your back?)

m

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by chris_h:
It's obvious you haven't attempted reading through the thread, since you'd know that I am working about 60hr/s a week (I took on two part time 30hr shifts). I've only been home about 15 minutes. Since I no longer have a life outside of work, yeah, I post at macnn alot (and I even get to read it from work some).
[/B][/QUOTE]

I take it back, if you're posting from work then all the power to you, I know I try to waste as much time as possible when I'm working.

I think I need to start using my sarcasm smilie. If you read my jabs about Canada then you'd realize I wasn't serious about the third world. But hey, 9 year-olds need overtime too!

Still think you pulled a fast one over on some of the people here, though that's their problem.

chris_h  (op)
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 01:42 PM

I take it back, if you're posting from work then all the power to you, I know I try to waste as much time as possible when I'm working.
I do tech support. About 90% of the time I can be doing something else on the computer while i'm walking someone through their network settings(etc).

Again, I think you assume too much, too often.

Still think you pulled a fast one over on some of the people here, though that's their problem.
Whatever. I personally don't care if you don't believe a word anyone says, you just seem like you're trying to pick a fight with me. There's a fine line between being extremely cynical, and just being an ass.

Matsu
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 02:14 PM

chris,

You're unduly offended by me. To be clear, I think people ought to waste as much time as possible at work. Seriously, I commend you. As an example I once took a job in retail at X-mas time, just to see how long it would take to get fired. I did nothing, for a solid month I took 90 minute lunches, 45 minute breaks (I would spend at least half my shift on break and the other half walking around the store avoiding customers untill I saw a manager. I'd then pretend to help someone.) Customers would ask for help and I'd give them the BRB or 'sure just a minute', pretend to be off after whatever, and then watch them languish for 20-30 minutes. I couldn't get fired! When I quit the manager even asked me if I wanted to stay! Great fun, I recommend it.

And I don't want to pick a fight with you, I just don't think it's a good idea for people to believe (or act) based on what they read on the internet. Anyway, with all those hours you should be okay for cash, just don't send anymore home.

MacCube
May 18, 2001, 04:20 PM

I think people ought to waste as much time as possible at work. Seriously, I commend you. As an example I once took a job in retail at X-mas time, just to see how long it would take to get fired. I did nothing, for a solid month I took 90 minute lunches, 45 minute breaks (I would spend at least half my shift on break and the other half walking around the store avoiding customers untill I saw a manager. I'd then pretend to help someone.) Customers would ask for help and I'd give them the BRB or 'sure just a minute', pretend to be off after whatever, and then watch them languish for 20-30 minutes. I couldn't get fired! When I quit the manager even asked me if I wanted to stay! Great fun, I recommend it.
Lemme guess: you worked at The Future Shop, right?

------------------
Proofread carefully
to see if you
any words out.
Proofread carefully
to see if you
any words out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules