Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > HTML newsletter

HTML newsletter
spike
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2001, 04:09 AM

I would like to create an html newsletter and send it via e-mail. No problem for me to create the html page, but I can't find a way to send the newsletter via e-mail. I use dreamweaver and entourage.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2001, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by spike:
<STRONG>I would like to create an html newsletter and send it via e-mail. No problem for me to create the html page, but I can't find a way to send the newsletter via e-mail. I use dreamweaver and entourage.</STRONG>
I don't use Entourage, but probably to do this on a low level (ie as a non-programmer) you'd probably want to do it with AppleScript. You'd therefore need to know a little bit about AppleScript and a scriptable application to do the mailing - and the script would have to get access to the list of recipients.

I don't know of any apps that automate the process for you.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2001, 11:06 AM

You mean you want to send HTML mail, like Apple.
AAAGGGGHHH! this is NOT easy on a Mac.
For some unknown reason you can not edit the HTML in the HTML Preview in Entourage, you can in OE in the PC but Microsoft removed this 'feature' on the Mac,
The best way I found to do this was to use the built in mail client found in Mozzilla. This has access to the 'Composer' toolbox (Mozzilla's built in HTML editing tool, this is way Moz is a huge download) and allows for some advanced HTML mail composing.

Terri
Senior User
Jun 20, 2001, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>You mean you want to send HTML mail, like Apple.
For some unknown reason you can not edit the HTML in the HTML Preview in Entourage, you can in OE in the PC but Microsoft removed this 'feature' on the Mac,
The best way I found to do this was to use the built in mail client found in Mozzilla. This has access to the 'Composer' toolbox (Mozzilla's built in HTML editing tool, this is way Moz is a huge download) and allows for some advanced HTML mail composing.</STRONG>
I can't believe that the only way is to use Netscape. Is this what Apple is using? Maybe they use Windows.

spike  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2001, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>You mean you want to send HTML mail, like Apple.
The best way I found to do this was to use the built in mail client found in Mozzilla. This has access to the 'Composer' toolbox (Mozzilla's built in HTML editing tool, this is way Moz is a huge download) and allows for some advanced HTML mail composing.</STRONG>
I discoverded today that there is a possibility in the mail program in Netscape to design some basic page in html (nevertheless far more advanced than in Entourage). The problem is that my mailing list is in Entourage and there is no way (that i know) to import the adresses from Entourage to Netscape.
I wonder how Apple send there beautifull newsletter?

pcp_ip
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2001, 03:24 PM

these have a PC spin to them, but they'll give you some basic info:

http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt5/html-email-multi.htm

http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt5/html-email-dual.htm

it's also a breeze to do with PHP and sendmail. Set your OSX machine up to do it.

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: pcp_ip ]

Lolo from Paris
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2001, 07:51 AM

Don't use Entourage, it can't do that...

Use this app :
http://www.maxprog.com/MaxBulk.html

It can send text and HTML, it also can send them to a lot of people. If you have a huge number of readers, that's great !

Forum Links
Forum Rules