Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Actual Size of iMac screens?

View Poll Results: What size iMac do you own?
Poll Options:
17" and its great 7 votes (50.00%)
20" and its great 6 votes (42.86%)
17" and I wish I had gotten the 20" 1 votes (7.14%)
20" and the 20" is overrated and over priced. 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll
Actual Size of iMac screens?
zenatek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 07:50 PM

Hi there,

I am looking to purchase and iMac and I don't know which one to get the 17" or the 20"

I currently have a 19" CRT. Now I know that CRT's and LCD's are measured diffrently. CRTS are not actually 19" even if they say they are. LCD's are supposed to be exact.

So the trouble I am having is I do not want to really go down in size and it is hard to compare the 17" to my screen because it is a cinema display. I was wondering if someone could actually post the actual demensions for the hight and width of bost the 20" and the 17", so if you have either or, please measure them and post.

Thanks

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by zenatek:
Hi there,

I am looking to purchase and iMac and I don't know which one to get the 17" or the 20"

I currently have a 19" CRT. Now I know that CRT's and LCD's are measured diffrently. CRTS are not actually 19" even if they say they are. LCD's are supposed to be exact.

So the trouble I am having is I do not want to really go down in size and it is hard to compare the 17" to my screen because it is a cinema display. I was wondering if someone could actually post the actual demensions for the hight and width of bost the 20" and the 17", so if you have either or, please measure them and post.

Thanks
17" 1.8GHz G5

Height: 9 1/16
Width: 14 1/2
Diag: 17" (of course)

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 08:28 PM

If you're in doubt, get the 20" model - simple as that. Sure, it's more expensive, but if you're used to a 19" CRT you'll be much more comfortable in terms of viewability.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2005, 01:18 PM

Entirely up to you of course.. But I was going to get the 17, but ended up going for the 20, And im very happy with it. No regrets. Also, the 20 supposedly has a better quality screen than the 17 (Brightness and viewing angles), and once I found that out, it really swung it for me.
Also, keep in mind the screen spanning hack works on the 17" & 20" models. IE, drive an extra display and have different stuff on each screen.. I use it, works great
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Entirely up to you of course.. But I was going to get the 17, but ended up going for the 20, And im very happy with it. No regrets. Also, the 20 supposedly has a better quality screen than the 17 (Brightness and viewing angles), and once I found that out, it really swung it for me.
Also, keep in mind the screen spanning hack works on the 17" & 20" models. IE, drive an extra display and have different stuff on each screen.. I use it, works great
You are right about the viewing angle. It is much better on the 20". If I would have had the extra cash the 20" would have been the way to go. The extra HD space and screen space would have been nice.

Another reason to go for the 20" is because of the fan noise "issue" that Apple doesn't seem to want to admit to. I haven't seen many reports of the 20" having the noise problem. I have had the power supply replaced already but it didn't do any good. I have contacted Apple multiple times but they keep making me go through the same crap. I took it to the Apple Store but they couldn't hear the noise because of all the background noise.

If you don't know about the fan noise I'll try to explain it. When the CPU is taxed, however slight, the fans kick up to a loud annoying pitch. It isn't so much that it is loud as it is the pitch frequency. All I have to do is start iTunes and Safari to get it roaring. It is very annoying and not anywhere near whisper quiet.

Time to call Apple again

Forum Links
Forum Rules