Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Imac and Nvidia 6800 Go

Imac and Nvidia 6800 Go
Kdog01
Feb 24, 2005, 11:04 PM

I don't get it. If dell can put this graphics card in the new XPS system, why can't apple put something remotely close into an Imac? I know I am not as tech-savy as half the users, but apple should realize that there are so many people like me out there that would jump at an Imac in a heartbeat with this type of upgrade.

I also realize that this graphics issue has been discussed several times, but can someone explain to me if there is a technical reason why this card could fit into a laptop, but not an Imac?

Thanks

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 03:14 AM

1) It would require a motherboard redesign.
2) It would be a costly upgrade option, and despite your claim that there's a large number of people willing to pay for it, relative to the number of units sold per quarter it is probably pretty small.

Not really any specific technical reason (outside of 1), but I highly doubt it makes much business sense for Apple to make such a move.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 25, 2005, 11:53 AM

YOU ARE WRONG! APPLE IS RIGHT! Most apple users don't need a video card! If I heard you complain my grandma would make you a nice sandwich!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 05:09 PM

mmmmmm sandwich.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 01:04 AM

It would probably make their iMac sales cut too much into their powermac sales. Remember, Apple has to balance these things in addition to worrying about competition. If you need that kind of card, get a powermac. I know it costs more, but that's the fact of life, especially with Apple. On the other hand, the graphics card is not going to appeal to anyone outside of gamers. If you are only gaming, a pc is probably a better choice anyway. Heavy graphics work people will want the dual processors powermacs deliver.

zenatek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 01:17 AM

Heat may be a factor too, as compared to the 9200 which is currently installed.

And power, there is a huge difference between the two. Yes Dell can put it in the XPS but I believe thats a tower unit.

truckweb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by zenatek:
Heat may be a factor too, as compared to the 9200 which is currently installed.

And power, there is a huge difference between the two. Yes Dell can put it in the XPS but I believe thats a tower unit.
The XPS is a laptop... ATI and Nvidia have made their powerfull chips available to smaller PC (laptop) a long time ago. Apple is just slow to adopt it.

Mabe if Apple used better/faster chip on their mac, more games would be made to run on OSX... (i'm talking about mini, emac, imac, ibook).
Truckweb.
Apple Mac mini - 1.42Ghz, 512Mb, SD, AE

ntsc
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 11:32 AM

not to mention the benefits of improved GUI response, especially by the looks of things in Tiger!
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 27, 2005, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by truckweb:
Mabe if Apple used better/faster chip on their mac, more games would be made to run on OSX... (i'm talking about mini, emac, imac, ibook).
I have been saying this for years, and you'd be surprised at the amount of hate filled apple defending posts I've read in response.

zenatek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 02:52 PM

oh ok, I thought the XPS was a tower model.

thereubster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 03:46 PM

Also there's the not inconsequential problem that the 6800 ULTRA Go (the one thats that Dell montrosity) is a PCI-Express ONLY part. SO it would need a new Motherboard design. I am convinced that we will see a very quick rollout of PCI-Express across the whole line at (or soon after) the point when Tiger comes out. My guess is NV6200 in the iMac, also as the base card for the powermac with some ATI X700 (or X600) at the high end, keeping the current BTO options. Dunno what we will get in the Powerbook G5, maybe Mobilty X300 or 6600 Go?
Idiot... Slow down

truckweb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist:
I have been saying this for years, and you'd be surprised at the amount of hate filled apple defending posts I've read in response.
But in the end, it's true. Mabe Apple did not build their computer to play games in the first place. For any serious gaming to be done on a Mac, Apple need to upgrade their video card. ATI 9200 and nVidia 5200 are not �gamer� ready.

You can do a large amount of stuff on your Mac, other than games. XBox and Playstation are there for games. If that's the way Mac users think, well, they have a point. At least you're not upgrading your Mac every 6 month just because that �new� game came out with DirectX9 and all that stuff.

It's a question of choice. If you're a big PC gamer, don't buy a Mac.
Truckweb.
Apple Mac mini - 1.42Ghz, 512Mb, SD, AE

heydickhedsquitbanningme
Baninated
Oct 15, 2006, 09:17 PM

For even 'casual' gaming you need more than a 9200. A 9200 was a nice card YEARS ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules