Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mini switching discomfort...

Mini switching discomfort...
raoul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 03:46 PM

I've spent the last two weeks configuring my Mini and am fairly happy with the results. The last problem I have is that I can't find any utility that will make the numpad behave as it does in Windows. I'm a developer type, so source editing is where I spend most of my time. I rely heavily on the numpad for up/down, left/right cursor navigation. I also need to zero to behave as an insert key, the period to be delete key, etc.. Some editors allow you to use the arrow keys, but I haven't found an editor that goes all the way and makes every numpad key behave like they do in Windows.

I would love to start developing new software on my Mini, but as it stands its far too cumbersome to be searching for keys all the time. I wish Apple had considered this and put something in OS X to make switchers more comfortable. If anyone has a utility in mind that may help let me know!

zenatek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2005, 03:52 AM

I have not heard of anything that does that.

But hey, you say your a developer "type" maybe you should write a program that does that and make yourself some money

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2005, 05:00 AM

http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ucontrol.html

Not sure if this does remap keys to the extent you want, but it came up top of the list in a quick google search for 'remap mac keyboard'.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2005, 06:18 AM

You can get third-party number pads for a decent price. That'll give you what you need for about $25 more.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 8, 2005, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
You can get third-party number pads for a decent price. That'll give you what you need for about $25 more.
That won't change the fact that it is entirely up to the application to use the number pad as arrow keys. An external numeric keypad will behave the same as one built in to the keyboard.

On the Mac, the numeric keypad has never doubled as arrow keys, so almost no apps out there even allow it to be used as such. It's always just been apps that were originally on Windows and wanted to allow the same behavior as on Windows. Virtual PC respects the Num Lock key as such, since it IS running Windows.

You might be able to make a custom keyboard layout with arrow keys on the numeric pad, but it'll be a kludge, and you won't be able to switch between it and numeric behavior just by pressing Num Lock -- it's always treated as "clear" on the Mac.

It might just be better to adjust to using the normal arrow keys and the extra keys above them.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules