Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ADC video cards!?

ADC video cards!?
Patton76
May 23, 2002, 01:53 PM

I have a G4 450mhz MP, a great machine, but with an inferior video card, the RAGE 128 pro 16mb. If there was no arguement between Apple and ATI it would have shipped with a Radeon, as it should have been!

But ok, I want to upgrade my graphic card, but which one has an ADC connector?

The big problem is I have an Apple Studio Display 17" CRT. So I can't use the DVIator or the Apple DVI to ADC connector, since it doesn't support CRT displays.

So I need a video card with an ADC port!

I've been looking around, but nobody ships video cards with ADC ports!? Strange.

Can someone helpme out on this.

Thanks

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2002, 03:21 PM

AFAIK, only Apple ships these cards from their online store.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2002, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Patton76:
<STRONG>I have a G4 450mhz MP, a great machine, but with an inferior video card, the RAGE 128 pro 16mb. If there was no arguement between Apple and ATI it would have shipped with a Radeon, as it should have been!

But ok, I want to upgrade my graphic card, but which one has an ADC connector?

The big problem is I have an Apple Studio Display 17" CRT. So I can't use the DVIator or the Apple DVI to ADC connector, since it doesn't support CRT displays.

So I need a video card with an ADC port!

I've been looking around, but nobody ships video cards with ADC ports!? Strange.

Can someone helpme out on this.

Thanks</STRONG>
I'm a bit confused by your post. You say you need an graphics card with an ADC port included. However, you state that you have an old Apple CRT display. The only displays Apple has ever made to take advantage of the ADC connect are it's Apple TFT LCD displays. So, finding a graphics card with an ADC connector isn't going to do you any good at all. However, you may just be confused about CRT vs. LCD displays.

Anyhow, you would need to get a graphics card from Apple's store. The trouble is, that Apple doesn't sell the ATI cards as stand-alone accessories. You have to buy a computer with an included card to get one. You can buy the ATI cards (Radeon 7500/8500) from retail stores, but they don't include an ADC connector on them. I'm not certain if ATI is planning to offer their mac retail cards with an ADC port on them, or not. I think they feel that there isn't a large enough mac market to include it at this point. Apple is planning to offer it's nVidia GeForce 4 Ti card which will have an ADC connector on it, but at this time it is not available from them as a stand-alone accessory. Though, they are planning this as an item to sell at their online store. I would expect to see it in early to mid-June.

If you have a CRT display, rather than an LCD display, as you originally stated, an ATI retail card should suit you fine.

Neo.cmg

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
May 23, 2002, 03:45 PM

I had this same problem man. bought a radeon 8500, but can't hook it up to my ADC CRT display just like yours. So i went out and had ot buy a new, used, older apple studio display 17 incher VGA. I have my 32 meg radeon ADC card laying around if u want to buy it. I had a few people interested in it. but all have seemed to just disapear. realise theere is no converter for that monitor. I have been looking for days. no one makes one. it can be done but would cost like 600 bucks so no one ever made one either u gotta buy a used card like the one i am looking to get ride of, or buy a new monitor (vga) or a apple LCD and get the ADC to DVI connecotr. Its a really gay situation man. I just got done dealing with it. But let me know if u want my older card. its perfcet only used it for a little over a year. - LQX

P.S. the reason the ADC to DVi convert doesnt work on our displays is it uses a anaolg power signal to turn its self on. So the ADC to DVI will power it it wonlt turnthe monitor on. I learned thsi the hard way by buying the adc to dvi. then had to retun it and got the used apple VGA displpay off a buddy of mine for 200 bucks.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Liquidity X ]

JC Denton
Forum Regular
May 23, 2002, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Neo.cmg:
<STRONG>

I'm a bit confused by your post. You say you need an graphics card with an ADC port included. However, you state that you have an old Apple CRT display. The only displays Apple has ever made to take advantage of the ADC connect are it's Apple TFT LCD displays. So, finding a graphics card with an ADC connector isn't going to do you any good at all. However, you may just be confused about CRT vs. LCD displays.

Anyhow, you would need to get a graphics card from Apple's store. The trouble is, that Apple doesn't sell the ATI cards as stand-alone accessories. You have to buy a computer with an included card to get one. You can buy the ATI cards (Radeon 7500/8500) from retail stores, but they don't include an ADC connector on them. I'm not certain if ATI is planning to offer their mac retail cards with an ADC port on them, or not. I think they feel that there isn't a large enough mac market to include it at this point. Apple is planning to offer it's nVidia GeForce 4 Ti card which will have an ADC connector on it, but at this time it is not available from them as a stand-alone accessory. Though, they are planning this as an item to sell at their online store. I would expect to see it in early to mid-June.

If you have a CRT display, rather than an LCD display, as you originally stated, an ATI retail card should suit you fine.

Neo.cmg</STRONG>
No, he's exactly right. First of all, I'm writing this post on an Apple Studio Display 17 (ADC) connected to my Cube (via ADC). It was short-lived, but it does exist.

Since it only has the one ADC cable coming out from the back, he absolutely needs a video card with a ADC connector that will supply the video signal as well as the power and USB connection. Without a power connection, he's out of luck.

I'd check eBay or something or find a used one around. There was a discussion on macintouch a few days ago about this very problem, but no solution was found. I'm in the same boat, but luckily I waited a few months until the Cube had a Raedon BTO option. Otherwise, it would have been time for a new CPU (and go hungry for a year or two).

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 04:47 PM

I was able to find an ADC Radeon for my G4 last summer on eBay. You might try looking there.

In fact, I went the extra mile for ya and found this: eBay auctions containing "Radeon" in the Mac section

There's an auction (#2025242021) ending tomorrow that might be just what you're looking for. It's out of a Cube, not a tower, but it should still work just peachy.

Enjoy!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 04:49 PM

(By the way...this is the completely wrong forum for this topic. But that's okay -- I'm just lettin' ya know for the next time you start a topic.)
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Patton76  (op)
May 23, 2002, 06:06 PM

There are indeed 17" CRT displays with an ADC port, I can tell since I have one.

Thanks for all the reactions.

Unfortunatly the Apple store hasn't any video cards for sale.

I guess the geforce 4 will be very expensive and a bit overkill for my machine. Since when Apple brings out an new PowerMac, I'll probably but one, so normally it will have a decent video card. So I don't want a Geforce 4, yet.

I just want a decent card, that will do with my machine, so a Radeon or geforce 2

The ebay site you guys reffer to is the american one, and I'm from Belgium. On the Belgium site, no cards

Liquidity X, I sent you an email concerning your used video card.

train
May 23, 2002, 07:16 PM

ENPC.com had GeForce2MX AGP 32MB cards (with ADC port) for $19.99 today as noted on DealMac.com. They sold out though.

I suspect some of the people that got in on this bargain, will be on eBay with the goods very soon, so keep a look out.
train ::: GraphicsBooks.com

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Patton76:
<STRONG>

The ebay site you guys reffer to is the american one, and I'm from Belgium. On the Belgium site, no cards

</STRONG>
Well, you could use the US site, email the seller, and ask if they're willing to ship overseas. Not a biggie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules