Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 17" - First Impressions

New 17" - First Impressions (Page 2)
trublue
Sep 27, 2003, 03:44 PM

Oh...I forgot to mention...

With just Marine Aquarium as my background (all settings maxed), I get about 55-65 frames per second).

And when the system gets sluggish will all those apps open and music playing, well the music has NEVER stopped playing. Very impressed here.

Here are some links for others to run the programs:

Backlight

Marine Aquarium

I think that this is such a great example of how two technologies, which by themselves are just great, can combine to make something truly fantastic.

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 02:05 AM

I've just ordered a new 17 laptop as an upgrade from my tibook, a quick question. I use a cloth from a FP imac on the keyboard of my ti to keep the screen from getting marked, do I need to do the same for the new 17 or is there enough clearance?

Peabo  (op)
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 06:49 AM

there is plenty of clearance :]
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 06:52 AM

Another question... How's the ac/power cord on the powerbooks? My iBook cord has been replaced 3 times. If anything would keep me from buying another laptop it's a flimsy powercord.

dimitar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Congrats!

How much RAM do you have, and did you get the 5400rpm drive?
greetings,

just a quick question: how would you know if is 5400 or 4200rpm? got my 17, 1.33 ten days ago.

dimitar

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Centris650:
Another question... How's the ac/power cord on the powerbooks? My iBook cord has been replaced 3 times. If anything would keep me from buying another laptop it's a flimsy powercord.
The cord on the 65W power adapter seems to be just a little heavier than the old 45W adapters. What are you doing to those things?

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by dimitar:
just a quick question: how would you know if is 5400 or 4200rpm? got my 17, 1.33 ten days ago.[/B]
The 5400 rpm drive is a build to order option at the online Apple Store. It costs extra.

dimitar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by iDaver:
The 5400 rpm drive is a build to order option at the online Apple Store. It costs extra.
thank you.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 03:26 PM

Just lugging it to and from work. One of the "yoyos" went bad once. Strangest thing. Was working fine one hour and the next...nuthin'!

The way the cord enters to the prong is at an odd angle and sometimes gets "squashed" on whatever surface I'm working on. This has caused the demise of 1 or 2.

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 04:33 PM

The yo-yo is gone, and the new charger is a great design:

* Small white square with retractable prongs that flip out and plug the charger directly into the wall. NO SECOND CORD.

* If you want that second cord for length, the prong part snaps off the brick and you can attach the included alternative with a long wall cord. You can also snap on replacement prongs (sold separately) for different countries.

* Hooks fold out of the brick to wrap the laptop cord onto if you wish. (Much more compact than the yo-yo). The cord also snaps onto itself to hold in place.

* The plug where it enters the Mac glows orange during charging, then green when done. And I think it now goes straight into the Mac, no more angle?
nagromme

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by nagromme:
The yo-yo is gone, and the new charger is a great design:

* Small white square with retractable prongs that flip out and plug the charger directly into the wall. NO SECOND CORD.

* If you want that second cord for length, the prong part snaps off the brick and you can attach the included alternative with a long wall cord. You can also snap on replacement prongs (sold separately) for different countries.

* Hooks fold out of the brick to wrap the laptop cord onto if you wish. (Much more compact than the yo-yo). The cord also snaps onto itself to hold in place.

* The plug where it enters the Mac glows orange during charging, then green when done. And I think it now goes straight into the Mac, no more angle?
That's music to my ears!

Dan-the-Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:
Thanks for the report, xi--I'm eager to hear reports of 3D games. What details/res settings are practical? What framerates can you get? Do you have to avoid some kinds of games in UT2k3, or is it pretty much always playable?

(My eMac/700/2MX can handle 1-on-1 with low detail--but not great. Without opponents it's surprisingly fast in most parts of a map.)
The 17" 1.33/Radeon9600 powerbook runs UT2K3 amazingly well. I have both this laptop and a 1.6GHz G5/64Mb GeForce FX 5200 with 1.25Gb RAM. There is little noticeable difference when running with the same resolution and detail settings between the systems. Resolution set to 1024x640x32, all details set to high.

Check out: http://www.barefeats.com/al15.html

for some more detailed game comparisons betwen platforms to get an idea of performance for yourself

dennis88
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by Dan-the-Man:
The 17" 1.33/Radeon9600 powerbook runs UT2K3 amazingly well. I have both this laptop and a 1.6GHz G5/64Mb GeForce FX 5200 with 1.25Gb RAM. There is little noticeable difference when running with the same resolution and detail settings between the systems. Resolution set to 1024x640x32, all details set to high.

Check out: http://www.barefeats.com/al15.html

for some more detailed game comparisons betwen platforms to get an idea of performance for yourself
Good hear, I don't really care about "botmatch" scores, but how the game performes in the real game.

Now it's even harder for me to wait for my 1,25ghz 15"!
I called tnt just now, and they belived I will get it tomorrow!
I hope they are right!

Forum Links
Forum Rules