Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's the most you have ever spent on "Art"?

What's the most you have ever spent on "Art"? (Page 2)
Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 01:00 AM

I would have to say my Macs!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2003, 01:30 AM

Approximately 14 times the amount of the annual salary for my first job.

Either it was a very crappy job or it is a very nice piece of art. Hint - it's a painting and the frame cost 2x the amount of the annual salary for my first job.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 3, 2003, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Zimph vs. xxxx68

Zimph wins this thread. Congrats.
No hard feelings toward cash. He knows I was just playing. I don't think there was a vs. going on.

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 3, 2003, 03:28 AM

I spent over $200 on a single board once. It was the most beautiful birds eye maple lumber I have ever seen. I resawed it into bookmatched planks and used it for the panels of a hutch.

Overall the piece cost me over $800 in materials. I had a hard time parting with it, but it was a commissioned piece. I sold it for over $5000.

My favorite piece of work to date.

But seriously, I am not really into other people's art. Our walls are pretty bare other than a few prints given to us a gifts.

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 09:22 AM

Does a lap dance from an unknown "artist" count? Man, it was a masterpiece!
There is no spoon

jersey
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 09:30 AM

I wasn't trying to start a flame war with that...it was a bit crass, sorry.

however, art is, and always has been created out of desire. The desire to express, explain or comment upon an idea. this alone is what makes it art. monetary gain is not the underlying stimulus for production of the work.

whereas, with graphic design, revenue is the only stimulus for creating the work. this is true in every case. an entity, be it a single individual or a corporation, seeks to generate revenue through the use of images. they seek out a designer for the creation of these images. the designer accepts the job,not because they are passionate about an issue/idea, but to generate income. so graphic design is monetarily motivated from beginning to end.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by jersey:
however, art is, and always has been created out of desire. The desire to express, explain or comment upon an idea. this alone is what makes it art. monetary gain is not the underlying stimulus for production of the work.

whereas, with graphic design, revenue is the only stimulus for creating the work. this is true in every case. an entity, be it a single individual or a corporation, seeks to generate revenue through the use of images. they seek out a designer for the creation of these images. the designer accepts the job,not because they are passionate about an issue/idea, but to generate income. so graphic design is monetarily motivated from beginning to end.
I think the distinction you're looking for is Arts vs. Crafts.

The line is blurry and indistinct in many cases, but that's what it boils down to IMO.

Design is most always a craft, getting the job done for money.

-s*

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
I spent over $200 on a single board once. It was the most beautiful birds eye maple lumber I have ever seen. I resawed it into bookmatched planks and used it for the panels of a hutch.

Overall the piece cost me over $800 in materials. I had a hard time parting with it, but it was a commissioned piece. I sold it for over $5000.
Kilbey, that sounds fabulous, do you have any photos of it online?

I'm a neophyte woodworker (learning slowly) but know exactly what you mean about the beauty of a single board.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Eagle_AS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by jersey:
I wasn't trying to start a flame war with that...it was a bit crass, sorry.

True....I agree with you. And I would like to say that I too do not want to start any trouble by saying this, but its true. The real meaning of art is slowing decaying in our society, people want to label EVERYTHING art, but most of it is just crap.

jersey
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I think the distinction you're looking for is Arts vs. Crafts.

Design is most always a craft, getting the job done for money.

-s*
yeah, thats exactly what i was looking for.

Originally posted by Eagle_AS:
... The real meaning of art is slowing decaying in our society, people want to label EVERYTHING art, but most of it is just crap.
i dont know if its really decaying, i do believe its in a strange, but exciting place right now. i have always felt its the artists job to be ahead of the curve, and this seems to be case throughout history. however a point was reached in the mid/late 60's when most realized art could be just about anything. even with that realization, most left the duty of making art up to the "artist". now however, with a good majority of contemporary work relying upon digital production, john q public has again begun to question why he or she cant make art. personally i like this. i like to think everyone has the same tools, and the same ability to use those tools. if this is indeed the case, then it becomes a discussion of who is more intelligent, and i feel thats what is really important. unlike previous times when it was a discussion pertaining to who was a master of his or her materials.

Eagle_AS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 11:45 AM

It is decaying, no doubt about it. Its not dead, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't that long ago at all that it was still a vibrant part of our society....thats not the case anymore. Now, instead of artists and other leaders paving the way, we (I am speaking of the collective whole) simply follow or steal things and claim them as our own. TRUE progress seems to be taking a backseat these days.....but if you believe like I do, then art ISN'T dead like the status quo claimed in the 70's/80s. So there is still hope, thats why I paint, because I believe in painting!

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 3, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
Kilbey, that sounds fabulous, do you have any photos of it online?

I'm a neophyte woodworker (learning slowly) but know exactly what you mean about the beauty of a single board.

J.
No pictures on line. I do keep a basic photo album of all my projects and designs. My woodworking is a trade I try to keep separate from technology. I am not one of those gadget woodworkers. I don't have a laser guided miter saw.

I sell my work almost entirely from word of mouth and don't want to get into this as a career. I sell my work mostly because I like to keep making things. I would have filled my house a few times over if I kept everything I have made.

It is still a hobby, just one that pays for itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules