Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is there anyone else that can't stand anime?

Is there anyone else that can't stand anime? (Page 2)
Atomic Rooster
Feb 8, 2007, 03:51 PM

Check out Scifience's sig for a small sample.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 03:53 PM

Odd... that looks like Ryo-oko.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 03:55 PM

I can't stand 99% of anime. It's like watching an animated version of Gumby, complete with flipbook style animation.

There are only two anime shows I like, but probably because it had to do more with growing up with them when I was younger: Robotech (watching on Saturday morning) and Akira. That's it.

I can't stand Cowboy Bebop. I had to endure that awful show for an hour every day because my roommate watched it religiously.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 03:57 PM

Yeah, I recall rushing home from school to watch Robotech on the Sci-Fi channel back in the day.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I can't stand Cowboy Bebop.
That's interesting. I've found that there's a lot of crossover between Firefly fans and Cowboy Bebop fans. (Maybe because they make up the entire space western genre?) I think you're the first one I've known who actually dislikes it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Obviously I need to clear things up. The STYLE of animation is what I'm reffering to. Basically if the characters look like this...

Example 1
vs.
Example 2
So one looks like Down Syndrome, and the other is Rain Man. In both examples, it's like watching a QuickTime movie at 8 fps.

Doofy
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Check out Scifience's sig for a small sample.
Looks like something that a heterosexual adult male shouldn't be into. Like My Little Pony or something.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That's interesting. I've found that there's a lot of crossover between Firefly fans and Cowboy Bebop fans. (Maybe because they make up the entire space western genre?) I think you're the first one I've known who actually dislikes it.
I've noticed that, too. However, Cowboy Bebop does have the same air of intelligent writing as Firefly. Not to mention that the animation is just horrible.

Rumor
Feb 8, 2007, 04:12 PM

Avatar is an American cartoon done in Japanese style. Just FYI.

Also, I think the anime market kind of crashed in Japan since the "otaku murders" in the '80s. Most people over the age of 20 probably won't touch the stuff. So it's a pretty harsh environment to make quality shows in these days.
I had to look up the Otaku Murders and .

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I've found Batman to be one of the enjoyable exceptions of American animation in the past 10+ years. Everything usually is overly simplistic garbage.
Which Batman series? I didn't really care for the one that had the blocky animation. I did enjoy the Spider-Man animation though, it felt more rounded and smooth.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Feb 8, 2007, 04:26 PM

Some of the ones I've like are Howl's Flying Castle, Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell, Vampire Hunter D, and Metropolis.

Akira was ok, but a bit overrated in my opinion.

I watch DBZ for about 7 months a few years ago. I was working in a clothing store at the time and we had shirts with the characters on them. I decided to watch to show a few times so I would know the names when people asked for a specific character on a shirt. Then I was curious as to what the point of the show was. After 7 months, I still had no idea, so I quit watching it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I had to look up the Otaku Murders and
Same here. I couldn't find a ton of material in English, but what WIkipedia and one other site had was disturbing enough. I had never heard of it.

On topic: I never have cared for anime. It's difficult for me to take 99% of it serious, even though I don't have a problem doing so with video game RPGs and such. There's just something about it; maybe it's the voices. They're all a little too whiny.

finboy
Feb 8, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
I know for sure I'm not the only one.
Nope, you're not alone. Most of it reminds me of "Speed Racer" with crappier plot lines. I grew up with "Battle for the Planets" and the other cheapo Japanese animation titles, so anime holds nothing for me.

Same with the plotlines on most CapCom games -- stupid. You'd think the folks behind "Resident Evil" could actually hire someone to write dialog and thread the plot.

Anyway, anime = junk. I might as well be Pokemon.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 05:05 PM

Even the dub is fine. It's better than 97% of the crap on TV.
It's better than a lot of them, yes. I just have a thing about dubs of anime. Don't mind me.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I had to look up the Otaku Murders and .
Yes, he was a serial killer. Yes, serial killers are bad. Serial killers that pick on poor helpless children are even worse. But as that article itself points out, the term "Otaku Murders" is something of a misnomer. The vast majority of the videotapes in his collection were of typical, mainstream television shows. The media has since stopped using the term "Otaku Murderer," and started just calling him a serial killer of children.

Also, I hadn't noticed that the anime production business had really gone down that much since the 80s. There were some very good series produced in the 90s, and this decade has some good ones as well. Anime is very much alive and well in Japan as an art form, and these days people hear the term "otaku" and think of maid cafes and nerds, not deadly serial killers.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 05:16 PM

Odd... that looks like Ryo-oko.
Almost correct. Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo, one of the first so-called "space operas."

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 05:17 PM

Hehe. I wonder why I never picked up on it. Must not post enough.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scifience View Post
Also, I hadn't noticed that the anime production business had really gone down that much since the 80s. There were some very good series produced in the 90s, and this decade has some good ones as well. Anime is very much alive and well in Japan as an art form, and these days people hear the term "otaku" and think of maid cafes and nerds, not deadly serial killers.
Of course there are still good series made. I meant that I think the otaku murders made people somewhat less open to anime in general — made it less socially acceptable, I guess. Anybody will read manga, but anime is relegated to a geeky guilty pleasure. That's the impression I get. Ask your average Japanese college student, "Do you watch any anime?" 95% of the time, the answer will be something like, "Well, I like Miyazaki."
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 8, 2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
Battle of the Planets was the last decent japanime series. And, of course, I was an adolescent at the time.

"G-Force!"
I loved that show. I made my own "helmet" out of an old plastic fake motorcycle helmet. Looked almost just like theirs.

Rumor
Feb 8, 2007, 05:37 PM

I forgot Ninja Scrolls. Too bad I don't think the sequel was ever released in the states.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 8, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Cowboy Beebop is an amazing anime!
If i could buy anime (too lazy to keep track with bit torrent trackers) I'd watch it all the time...
But you like pink unicorns...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 06:25 PM

You had me there for a sec analogika.
I'm dead serious. Jurassic Park is IMNSHO one of the worst movies of the past fifteen years. Complete ****.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I'm dead serious. Jurassic Park is IMNSHO one of the worst movies of the past fifteen years. Complete ****.
You clearly don't watch enough bad movies. I can think of 10 worse right off the top of my head.
Chuck
___

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
No one?

:cricket:

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 09:05 PM

You clearly don't watch enough bad movies. I can think of 10 worse right off the top of my head.
We'll probably just have to disagree about what "enough" means, but do humor me - I'm intrigued.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 09:06 PM

No one?

Oh damn. I just got that one.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Oh damn. I just got that one.

I get the feeling that I'm glad I didn't.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
That's a ridiculous comment. It's like saying you dislike a whole style of animation, when anime covers a huge range of styles anyway. Don't just watch the ones aimed at adolescent perverts, it's like judging that all cinema is bad because you've seen American Pie.
It's really not, Anime is it's own style of animation, and I think most of it is the same, voilent and sexual. im not against violence, or sex, just not too much action isn't for me, however, I will say the plot of the show "Cowboy Bebop" is very interesting, I have seen of a few eposides of that, perhaps it deserves more credit from me than it's getting, we shall see.
( Last edited by Sub; Feb 8, 2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: I'm a hipocrit.)

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 10:39 PM

It's really not, Anime is it's own style of animation, and I think most of it is the same, voilent and sexual. im not against violence, or sex, just not too much action isn't for me, however, I will say the plot of the show "Cowboy Bebop" is very interesting, I have seen of a few eposides of that, perhaps it deserves more credit from me than it's getting, we shall see.
Anime is mostly not the same. The anime you have seen in America is mostly the same, because this is the stuff they choose to market to teenagers. There is a lot of anime that is not simply about violence or sex. It covers many genres: family, horror, sci-fi, historical etc. But of course the violent and sexy stuff is what sells most. For instance, go and take a look at Grave of the Fireflies. It is a very depressing film and shows that anime can be used to discuss tragic stories (in this case the lives of two Japanese children during the Second World War).

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scifience View Post
It's better than a lot of them, yes. I just have a thing about dubs of anime. Don't mind me.
Pssh. We are totally going to derail this thread with a Cowboy Bebop dub versus sub flamefest. Dub 4ever!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 9, 2007, 12:49 AM

Anime is mostly not the same. The anime you have seen in America is mostly the same, because this is the stuff they choose to market to teenagers. There is a lot of anime that is not simply about violence or sex. It covers many genres: family, horror, sci-fi, historical etc. But of course the violent and sexy stuff is what sells most. For instance, go and take a look at Grave of the Fireflies. It is a very depressing film and shows that anime can be used to discuss tragic stories (in this case the lives of two Japanese children during the Second World War).
I don't know how to use the spoiler tags:

Don't watch this movie. The kids die at the end. That'd it. I just saved you 2 hours of your life.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 9, 2007, 01:03 AM

No one?

I clapped.

It's actually better than most anime.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2007, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Uh…[spoiler]spoiler here[/spoiler]. Just like all the other tags.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2007, 03:06 AM

No one?

I thought it was awesome

Oh, and: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail57.html

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2007, 04:30 AM

For instance, go and take a look at Grave of the Fireflies. It is a very depressing film and shows that anime can be used to discuss tragic stories (in this case the lives of two Japanese children during the Second World War).
That was wonderful, and it was the film that changed my mind about anime, which i mostly still can't stand - now with real exceptions.

And Rob's still an asshole, who'da thunk?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2007, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I thought it was awesome

Oh, and: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail57.html
Definitely a classic

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2007, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post

Don't watch this movie. The kids die at the end. That'd it. I just saved you 2 hours of your life.
You see them dead at the beginning, they're ghosts (it makes the whole story more tragic).

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I am not a fan of it. I don't like the animation style or any of the story lines of what I have seen.

I don't like animation in general either. I did like Cars, and Shreck, but for the most part animation bores me.
If you were able to enjoy cars and Shreck, I think that illstrates that you are ABLE to enjoy animation/anime, but that you haven't come across the right series or movies that appeal to you. That being said, there is a gigantic glut of crap anime that is transported to our shores- most of it being aimed at the adolescent crowd.

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
I don't get the appeal. I am shocked that it has its own aisle in Blockbuster.
The reason you don't get the appeal is because the majority of the shows that are brought to the States are the shows aimed at adolescents. Find something aimed at your own age group (which I will admit, may not be that easy) and you may have a different opinion.

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I don't see the fascination with the whole style. I don't get people who are "into anime".
I think it is because it looks "foreign". As far as comics go, the books drawn in a style that looks very similar to 'western' art are not as popular as the over the top bug-eyed, angular ones.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
There are tons of styles of anime. Only one I dont really like is Manga.
What are you talking about: Manga isn't a style of anime.
ANIME = ANIMATION
MANGA = COMIC BOOKS AND GRAPHIC NOVELS

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Miniryu View Post
What are you talking about: Manga isn't a style of anime.
ANIME = ANIMATION
MANGA = COMIC BOOKS AND GRAPHIC NOVELS
Don't get your panties in a bunch. I said I was reffered to the style of art.

..."Manga developed from a mixture of ukiyo-e and foreign styles of drawing, and took its current form shortly after World War II."...

Clarification #3 - And as I said before, I WAS talking about the style of the art (Drawing).

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 04:31 PM

I liked Cowboy BeBop.

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2007, 04:42 PM

I really havn't been able to find anything that is half as good as, oh, say family guy, because family guy is just this really funny show that doesn't have too much more than humor, thats all I want, humor. I have found like nothing when it comes to humor in anime, just voilence and sex, and lets not forget those cool poses.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2007, 05:35 PM

I really havn't been able to find anything that is half as good as, oh, say family guy, because family guy is just this really funny show that doesn't have too much more than humor, thats all I want, humor. I have found like nothing when it comes to humor in anime, just voilence and sex, and lets not forget those cool poses.
Read through the thread again and take a couple of the recommendations...

Cold Warrior
Feb 10, 2007, 06:03 PM

I hate anime.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post
You know, this thread kind of makes me wince.

I hate X, do you share my hatred of X so I can feel justified in making this huge generalization? It applies to almost everything. I hate scifi, I hate books, I hate virtually anything.

So I'll make a silly request: don't make a sweeping generalization if you can think of a possible exception or gap in your vast knowledge of the subject. In other words don't hate things because you're ignorant.

Case in point: Ghost in the Shell.

Why people need to find justification or validation through an internet forum is beyond me. If you "hate" something fine. Keep it to yourself. Sweeping generalizations always make you look ignorant.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer the original question, no I don't "hate" anime. I just don't watch it - not my cup of tea.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2007, 07:20 PM

Recommendations for those who say anime is all just meaningless violence and sex:

Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflies (warning: extremely sad)
Haibane Renmei (my personal favorite series — it's the antithesis of a show about violence and sex, very deliberate and character-based)

In fact, all of the movies of Hayao Miyazaki, the top Japanese anime creator, are nonsexual — and although some feature violence, the overall message is always pacifist (i.e., the hero is a victim of some war, or the hero is trying to stop a war).

Incidentally, this thread has made me want to rewatch Cowboy Bebop. Off to Netflix!
Chuck
___

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 12:55 PM

I watched spirited away, it's for children.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2007, 01:16 PM

I watched spirited away, it's for children.
I think he was trying to point out to you the flaw of saying that all anime contains "sex and violence".

Sometimes people will bitch about anime, at which point I will direct their attention to one of Hayao Miyazaki's films (such as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke) and they'll suddenly say, "Hey... that wasn't bad at all!"

For the record, Spirited Away is not a movie for children (as in only for them), it's simply one of those amazing movies that's suitable for all ages. Just like Toy Story, Lion King, and all the rest, Spirited Away has a large fan-base that consists of people of all ages.

Like others have pointed out, "anime" is simply an art form, saying you hate it would be as ridiculous as saying, "I hate all Hollywood films" (yeah, I hear you, but that's not really what you mean).

I echo Chuckit's suggestions, those are all great films/series. I'd add to that list Princess Mononoke, a more mature film, perhaps not suitable for very young kids. I like to think of it as a harder version of Fern Gully.
( Last edited by itistoday; Feb 11, 2007 at 01:23 PM. )

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2007, 01:50 PM

I'm with olePigeon, I really liked Firefly but hated Cowboy Bebop. To me, Cowboy Bebop just seemed like a series of loosely connected vignettes with weak character development and a plot that seemed thrown together. I liked Samurai Champloo though.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday View Post
For the record, Spirited Away is not a movie for children (as in only for them), it's simply one of those amazing movies that's suitable for all ages. Just like Toy Story, Lion King, and all the rest, Spirited Away has a large fan-base that consists of people of all ages.
Yep. It's actually one of the few modern anime that there's a decent chance of Japanese adults having seen. A friend of mine who's a 30-year-old Japanese woman went to see it in the theater with her friends. I think she was the one who recommended it to me.

Also, the list was of anime that aren't sexual and violent, not anime that are exceptionally mature (although I would say the latter two fall into that category). Even in the U.S., movies meant primarily for adults often feature sex and violence as well. I thought it was a silly criticism, but I figured it was easy enough to disprove.

Originally Posted by itistoday View Post
I echo Chuckit's suggestions, those are all great films/series. I'd add to that list Princess Mononoke, a more mature film, perhaps not suitable for very young kids. I like to think of it as a harder version of Fern Gully.
I actually like Princess Mononoke better than Spirited Away, but I wouldn't say it's a good example of anime with no violence. It's the most violent of all Miyazaki's films and has some fairly bloody scenes.
Chuck
___

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2007, 02:19 PM

I actually like Princess Mononoke better than Spirited Away, but I wouldn't say it's a good example of anime with no violence. It's the most violent of all Miyazaki's films and has some fairly bloody scenes.

Yes, sorry I meant add it to your list of "good anime".
( Last edited by itistoday; Feb 11, 2007 at 02:39 PM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2007, 09:36 PM

I don't like anime because it's become a gateway to blind, half-assed, uninformed infatuation with Japan that makes all foreigners, including me (someone who has invested 11 years in studying the language and culture) look like idiots. That's number one.

Number two is that a lot of anime is extraordinarily repetitive (see DBZ in a nutshell) and vapid in terms of plot.

Number three is that it's over-commercialized to the point where you can't tell if an anime exists to sell stupid card games and figurines, or vice versa.

That said, the people saying "anime is crap" are the same closed-minded fools who say things like "rap is crap." They dismiss an entire genre out of hand because they don't like something associated with it (otaku culture; black culture), and never bother looking beyond the mainstream of those genres for something they might actually like.

Forum Links
Forum Rules