Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 63)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 12:09 AM

Wow, holy crap! That was 10x better than I was expecting. I love the hybrid story and Kara twist.

I also would have paid to see Cain and Gina scissor.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Dec 5, 2007 at 12:25 AM. )

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I also would have paid to see Cain and Gina scissor.
I got the Extended DVD. Much to my disappointment there were no added sappho scenes.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 02:30 PM

So do you guys think that Starbuck is unknowingly a malicious character or is she a good person that unintentionally will lead humans to their end? Meaning does she just give bad directions that gets them killed or her destiny is to purposely bring the end to all humans even if she doesn't know it yet?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2007, 03:06 PM

I think it's the latter. Her thing has always been self-destructive but highly technically skilled. It fits perfectly.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 04:01 PM

I just watched that scene again and "God" called Kara "The harbinger of the apocalypse".
Sounds like the Silver Surfer to me.

Something strange though. The Hybrid said "MY CHILDREN think I am god". Why would they be his children if they created him? Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Right after that line though God also said to the Major "Come closer MY CHILD". Hmmm.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 04:58 PM

So do you guys think that Starbuck is unknowingly a malicious character or is she a good person that unintentionally will lead humans to their end?
I'm not sure how these two differ...

I suspect Starbuck is a catalyst, and no matter what the colonials do, they'll end up in trouble because they have Starbuck.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 05:51 PM

I dunno if they mentioned it on purpose but the captured people from 41 years ago that the cylons were experimenting on mentioned they were from the ship "Diana" which of course is the name of one of the Cylon models.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 5, 2007, 06:03 PM

I just watched that scene again and "God" called Kara "The harbinger of the apocalypse".
I considered that while watching it, but it doesn't give any useful info for us. "The harbinger of the apocalypse" ... for whom?

Is she bringing on an apocalypse for the Colonies, which we are supposed to be thinking about? It's much more likely the First Hybrid was speaking from a Cylon viewpoint, since most Cylons are not that great at empathy. Read that way, Starbuck is a harbinger of the Cylon Apocalypse.

The Colonies have already had their Apocalypse, courtesy of the Visible Seven.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I considered that while watching it, but it doesn't give any useful info for us. "The harbinger of the apocalypse" ... for whom?
He said "to lead humanity to its end"

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 02:29 AM

Or it could just be misinformation. They tried that tactic before, in the bulldog episode with the virus.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2007, 01:04 PM

The exact quote was:

"Kara Thrace will lead the human race to its end. She is the herald of the apocalypse. The harbinger of death. They must not follow her."

And yes, it could mean many different things.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 05:01 PM

No discussion of the recently released HD DVDs? I was out of town when they were delivered, but I have them now and will be re-watching season 1 starting tonight. Can't wait.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 6, 2007, 06:01 PM

Let us know if they did a good transfer. Also, I'm curious if there are new bonus materials, and if the bonus materials are in HD too.

The regular DVD set has been criticized for overcompression and less detail than DVD is capable of.

You might watch for video differences between the Miniseries and the series. The Mini was shot on film, while they switched to HD digital cameras for the series.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2007, 06:31 PM

I found the Razor DVD a nice clean soft transfer which sorta bothered me as the grain is kinda what gives the show its look.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 05:31 PM

Let us know if they did a good transfer. Also, I'm curious if there are new bonus materials, and if the bonus materials are in HD too.

The regular DVD set has been criticized for overcompression and less detail than DVD is capable of.

You might watch for video differences between the Miniseries and the series. The Mini was shot on film, while they switched to HD digital cameras for the series.
So far the miniseries PQ has been hit and miss. Most of the scenes look fantastic, but there are a few that you really notice a TON of grain and a few that are a bit softer. Overall I think it's a great upgrade over the DVDs, but it's not perfect.

I'll let you know about the individual episodes.

Oh btw, all of the CGI scenes are STUNNING.
( Last edited by jokell82; Dec 8, 2007 at 05:39 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2007, 09:33 PM

I have noticed NO issues with picture quality in Season 1. It looks superb.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I have noticed NO issues with picture quality in Season 1. It looks superb.
Are you talking HD cuz on DVD they are crappy.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2007, 01:50 PM

Yes.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 07:29 PM

Do you all think they'll release a podcast for Razor that's meant to be played alongside the TV episode. The podcast they currently have available is almost four hours long and surely isn't meant to be played along with a 1.5 hour episode.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 04:01 AM

Man, Razor really makes you miss good TV, eh?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
Do you all think they'll release a podcast for Razor that's meant to be played alongside the TV episode. The podcast they currently have available is almost four hours long and surely isn't meant to be played along with a 1.5 hour episode.
Ron Moore Specifically said that he wasn't going to do a podcast for Razor in support of the writer's strike. The Podcast out is just the writer's meeting about Razor and where they wanted to go with it.

Originally Posted by Ron D Moore
Instead of the customary podcast commentary for next week’s showing of “Razor,” there will be a recording I made of the original break session where the writers first pitched me the story. The podcast was recorded at my house with the entire writing staff, minus Mrs. Ron, who opted not to know anything about the story until it was completed. A separate commentary track will be available on the DVD version that Michael Taylor and I recorded in the studio.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
No discussion of the recently released HD DVDs? I was out of town when they were delivered, but I have them now and will be re-watching season 1 starting tonight. Can't wait.
I ordered mine with Blade Runner, so it won't even ship until next week.

I ordered it from Amazon.com USA, so I don't expect to get it until January.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 05:57 PM

Razor was so much better than I expected.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ron D Moore
Instead of the customary podcast commentary for next week’s showing of “Razor,” there will be a recording I made of the original break session where the writers first pitched me the story. The podcast was recorded at my house with the entire writing staff, minus Mrs. Ron, who opted not to know anything about the story until it was completed. A separate commentary track will be available on the DVD version that Michael Taylor and I recorded in the studio.
Just out of curiosity, where did you get this quote from?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
Razor was so much better than I expected.
Ya same here. I watched it again last night and I was impressed to death all over again.

Watch the extended DVD version. so so much better.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 07:51 PM

Does anyone know what parts were extended? I noticed the credits were extended, plus one of the flashbacks was added with a cuss word. Anything else?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 12, 2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
Just out of curiosity, where did you get this quote from?
It comes from RDM's personal blog. Specifically, the story on the Razor Podcast.
Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Does anyone know what parts were extended? I noticed the credits were extended, plus one of the flashbacks was added with a cuss word. Anything else?
I have not seen the extended version. All the separate flashbacks get reintegrated. There are scenes involving a young Helena Cain as well.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 08:56 PM

From what I saw Adama saying "c0cksucker" lots of gore when Adama finds the experiment on the planet (they show toasters cutting arms off alive people) and the biggie is they show Cain as a kid during the war and how she finds the symbolic razor.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 11:36 PM

It comes from RDM's personal blog. Specifically, the story on the Razor Podcast.
Thanks!

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2007, 12:53 AM

The young Helena Cain extended scenes were significant as they explained some of her severity and her phrase, "Sometimes we have to leave people behind." It really should have been included in the broadcast version. They ran the actors credits, but we never saw the actors.

The retro Cylon hybrid also had a larger speaking part that Moore said in the DVD commentary was pretty significant for season 4.

<quote>
"Soon there will be four, glorious in awakening, struggling with the knowledge of their true selves, the pain of that revelation, bringing true clarity. And amidst confusion, you will find her... Enemies brought together by the apostle, enemies now joined as one. The way forward, once impenetrable, yet inevitable. And the fifth, though still in the shadow yet clawing for the light, hungry for redemption, that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering. I can see them all, the seven, now six self-described machines who believe themselves without sin. But in time, it is sin that will consume them. They will know enmity, bitterness, the wrenching, the agony of the one splintering into many. And then they will join in the promised land, gathered on the wings of an angel. Not an end, but a beginning."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2007, 01:53 AM

"Soon there will be four, glorious in awakening, struggling with the knowledge of their true selves, the pain of that revelation, bringing true clarity."
Meaning the 4 of the final 5.

"And amidst confusion, you will find her... Enemies brought together by the apostle, enemies now joined as one."
Starbuck uniting cylons and humans? Or perhaps Hera?

"And the fifth, though still in the shadow yet clawing for the light, hungry for redemption, that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering."
The final Cylon which is hungry for redemption could mean Baltar.

"I can see them all, the seven, now six self-described machines who believe themselves without sin."
By Seven he means the 7 skinjobs and "Now six" could mean when Diana gets boxed.

"And then they will join in the promised land, gathered on the wings of an angel. Not an end, but a beginning."
Sounds like the Cylons join earth in some fashion perhaps "wings on an angel" could mean the landing bay of Galactica.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Dec 13, 2007 at 02:28 AM. )

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2007, 02:17 AM

The final Cylon which is hungry for redemption could mean Baltar.

I figure it's Baltar or Kendra Shaw. She seems like an excellent character to bring back and they did discuss this in the Razor writers sessions.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2007, 11:36 AM

I doubt it's Baltar. He's already gone through his Cylon struggle. To bring that back would cheapen the show because it's already happened. I would be interested to see Shaw come back, either as a Cylon, or not. Though if not, then what would she be?
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
I doubt it's Baltar. He's already gone through his Cylon struggle. To bring that back would cheapen the show because it's already happened. I would be interested to see Shaw come back, either as a Cylon, or not. Though if not, then what would she be?
True enough about Baltar but I would hate to see Shaw come back as that would mean the final 5 can resurrect when they are supposed to be more of a "special" kind of cylon.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2007, 12:50 PM

One thing I don't understand. Is that basestar with the God Cylon on its own from the rest of the Cylon fleet for the past 41 years? Are they lost? Purposely avoiding the rest of the Cylons or what?

Commander Adama
Baninated
Dec 13, 2007, 03:16 PM

One thing I don't understand. Is that basestar with the God Cylon on its own from the rest of the Cylon fleet for the past 41 years? Are they lost? Purposely avoiding the rest of the Cylons or what?
They were not part of the regular Cylon fleet as we have known it. Rather, they were a break away group, trying to make their own way. They seem to have been trying to create their own destiny. My father, Admiral Adama, ended that.
( Last edited by Commander Adama; Dec 13, 2007 at 03:24 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Commander Adama View Post
They were not part of the regular Cylon fleet as we have known it. Rather, they were a break away group, trying to make their own way. They seem to have been trying to create their own destiny. My father, Admiral Adama, ended that.
I thought they just became rebellions when the first war ended and they created the first hybrid to make off with the goods.

Are you saying they were already a rebellion group even durring the first war before the hybrid was made? How do mashines that all think the same have a group of rebels? If so why did they still share the technology to make hybrids for basestars? Even more puzzling is if it is just a rebellion group why do ALL the other Cylons worship the hybrid and call it god?

Another thing that I didn't fully understand is when young Adama finds the hybrid lab and he has visions of people being experimented on AND the hybrid grabs his arm although nobody is there. How could he have these visions?

Commander Adama
Baninated
Dec 13, 2007, 04:57 PM

I thought they just became rebellions when the first war ended and they created the first hybrid to make off with the goods.
They all started off the same, but recall that the Cylons obtained free will. The Cylons we encountered from the first war period were a break away group from the main Cylon subspecies. They broke away in order to secure their continued existence.

Are you saying they were already a rebellion group even durring the first war before the hybrid was made? How do mashines that all think the same have a group of rebels? If so why did they still share the technology to make hybrids for basestars? Even more puzzling is if it is just a rebellion group why do ALL the other Cylons worship the hybrid and call it god?
Yes. They do not all think the same. That much is clear by demonstration with Sharon Agathon, boxing the Diana model, etc. The a vast majority of the Cylons do not believe in the hybrids as gods. Only the hybrid on the old basestar indicate to Maj Shaw that this was the case.

Another thing that I didn't fully understand is when young Adama finds the hybrid lab and he has visions of people being experimented on AND the hybrid grabs his arm although nobody is there. How could he have these visions?
My father had these visions as the hybrids were actual humans who were modified and put into the tanks in a special goup. If you simply immerse yourself in the goup them you, too, will have visions.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2007, 04:04 PM

So you know how the cylons have always said "to see the face of god is to see madness".

Could they mean because they believe the hybrids minds who control the basestars conscious mind have gone mad and since God is a hybrid also he must be bonkers like the rest? Why would they worship someone who is mentally gone though?

Commander Adama
Baninated
Dec 15, 2007, 09:25 PM

So you know how the cylons have always said "to see the face of god is to see madness".

Could they mean because they believe the hybrids minds who control the basestars conscious mind have gone mad and since God is a hybrid also he must be bonkers like the rest? Why would they worship someone who is mentally gone though?
I do not know. I am just the CO of the Battlestar Pegasus. Dr Baltar might know more about this.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2007, 10:16 PM

I do not know. I am just the CO of the Battlestar Pegasus. Dr Baltar might know more about this.
Don't you mean former President Baltar, betrayer of humanity?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Commander Adama
Baninated
Dec 15, 2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Don't you mean former President Baltar, betrayer of humanity?
The former President, yes.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2007, 01:18 PM

Off topic but...

The Japanese show off some more subservient robots. Another video.

How much longer until the human robot war?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2007, 03:29 PM

Ok the shtik is getting a bit old.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2007, 07:24 PM

Ok the shtik is getting a bit old.
Agreed - but was it worth bannination?

Edit - eye kant speel. Thanks for the clarification, Lateralus.
( Last edited by jokell82; Dec 16, 2007 at 09:49 PM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2007, 07:56 PM

It is when the person who registered the account is ban evading.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Lava Lamp Freak
Dec 21, 2007, 06:14 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
That's actually been around for a while.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 08:06 PM

So when does season 4 start? I keep hearing both Feb and April.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 21, 2007, 08:16 PM

Battlestar Wiki has been saying March now, but I haven't seen a single reference to back that up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules