Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vick sentenced to 23 months for dogfighting

Vick sentenced to 23 months for dogfighting
Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 01:56 PM

Vick sentenced to 23 months for dogfighting - CNN.com

I hope he makes a good bitch for someone

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 01:57 PM

I saw this. Obviously, I'm completely uninformed as to what a normal sentence is for his type of crime, but to me, this seems low.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 01:59 PM

with timed served already, and 3 months off at the end if he gets good behavior, puts him in training camp for some team in 2009. too bad. needs to be longer.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 02:02 PM

Prosecutors only asked for 12-18 months, though.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2007, 02:04 PM

Why does it need to be LONGER? As inhumane as it is, does anyone seriously think that TWO YEARS in the slammer is not sufficient enough?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 02:05 PM

It's not just 2 years, it's 14 dog years!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Why does it need to be LONGER? As inhumane as it is, does anyone seriously think that TWO YEARS in the slammer is not sufficient enough?
let me rephrase. i don't think it is long enough cause he is only missing 2 years of the NFL (2007 and 2008). go to prison or not; i don't care. i just don't like that he _could_ be back to work in a profession that makes it's stars the face of the franchise/commercials/ads/etc. i hope the NFL doesn't re-instate him.

*i feel the same way about athletes who have gotten busted for drugs or DUIs, etc. why do they still have jobs in a business that wants them on TV every week? nice message sent there.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 02:22 PM

He stands a sliver of a chance of getting reinstated, mostly because he never admitted to actually gambling in the plea agreement. I doubt he will be reinstated as long as Goodell is the commissioner, though.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 02:23 PM

So... gambling worse than dogfighting?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
let me rephrase. i don't think it is long enough cause he is only missing 2 years of the NFL (2007 and 2008). go to prison or not; i don't care. i just don't like that he _could_ be back to work in a profession that makes it's stars the face of the franchise/commercials/ads/etc. i hope the NFL doesn't re-instate him.

*i feel the same way about athletes who have gotten busted for drugs or DUIs, etc. why do they still have jobs in a business that wants them on TV every week? nice message sent there.
Money, why do you think? As long as the league can make money off you as a player they will look the other way. Either way why shouldn't he get his job back once he's served his time. The whole point of prison is you do your time and you get back to society. You saying when you go to prison you no longer have the right to work? That is pretty f*cked up. What is the point of serving time if you are branded for life? Its not like he has multiple felonies and has been in and out of jail for his entire life. He messed up, will serve his time, then gets on with his life. How is that not fair? The only difference is his job pays a HELL of a lot more than any of ours. You also have to look at it as he is a lot more qualified than us at his job, which is why he makes more than us as well.

Bottom line, don't hate the player, hate the game. The league is the cause of this not Michael Vick, or any athlete for that matter.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
So... gambling worse than dogfighting?
Gambling is the cardinal sin in sports, because it sows doubt in the integrity of the game itself. Any other crime just impugns the integrity of the people committing it.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 02:37 PM

Was he accused of gambling on NFL games?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Money, why do you think? As long as the league can make money off you as a player they will look the other way. Either way why shouldn't he get his job back once he's served his time. The whole point of prison is you do your time and you get back to society. You saying when you go to prison you no longer have the right to work? That is pretty f*cked up. What is the point of serving time if you are branded for life? Its not like he has multiple felonies and has been in and out of jail for his entire life. He messed up, will serve his time, then gets on with his life. How is that not fair? The only difference is his job pays a HELL of a lot more than any of ours. You also have to look at it as he is a lot more qualified than us at his job, which is why he makes more than us as well.

Bottom line, don't hate the player, hate the game. The league is the cause of this not Michael Vick, or any athlete for that matter.
you are comparing the job of starting quarterback with that of a job of a store clerk?

a store clerk with a DUI servers their time; may or may not get that job back, finds work and goes on their way (best case). a starting quarterback serves time and gets put back on TV (best case)?

two different things. totally.

and the league didn't cause vick to go to jail for killing dogs. wtf are you talking about? vick and only vick made that decision.

Tiresias
Dec 10, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
It's not just 2 years, it's 14 dog years!
Le bon mot!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 02:57 PM

He is still facing state charges too, no?

EDIT: Yes.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
you are comparing the job of starting quarterback with that of a job of a store clerk?

a store clerk with a DUI servers their time; may or may not get that job back, finds work and goes on their way (best case). a starting quarterback serves time and gets put back on TV (best case)?

two different things. totally.

and the league didn't cause vick to go to jail for killing dogs. wtf are you talking about? vick and only vick made that decision.
Like I said Money. Vicks job (NFL) can milk him for money, the store clerk can't. Case and point. The job is the blame for that situation, not the player or the employee and way you want to spin it.

You missed my entire point. WTF I am saying is.. I never said the League is responsible for him going to jail, I said the league is the cause for the situation of a player going to jail and getting their job back. The league can make money off you they will, regardless of what you went to jail for. By law you have served your time, so why not? What I am saying is if you want to point the finger point it at the league for this situation here. The league has all the control in this situation to say yes or no. As long as they can get money out of it they are going to have him back, bottom line. (Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Marv Albert, Ray Lewis, Half the Cinncinati Bengals Roster, Tank Johnson, etc.)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 03:45 PM

I don't want to say he's been punished enough, but I do believe the 23 month sentence is sufficient.
As others have said, his NFL career is all but over, and he has 0 endorsements.

The only prospects I imagine he may have is playing in the CFL.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 04:01 PM

I don't know all the details, but 23 months seems long enough. I'm concerned that some other guy only got 10 to 20 years for murder. Murder should be 40 years minimum, unless they confess, then I can see maybe 20 - 30 years.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2007, 04:30 PM

23 months seems just to me as well. (EDITED - 23 "years" was a bit much, I think)

No doubt a struggling NFL team will pick him up after he's out, but I don't think he'll be the player he was. He'll never have another endorsement, he'll never be popular, and he certainly won't rebuild his image. He didn't have a great image in the first place.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Dec 10, 2007 at 05:15 PM. )

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
23 years seems just to me as well.
I dunno, seems a bit much to me.

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 04:56 PM

Convicted and he STILL GETS A NEW SHOE CONTRACT! (with Hush Puppies)

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 05:03 PM

Your writers are on strike, huh?

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 05:07 PM

Shows eh?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 05:10 PM

Don't worry, you're still better than Leno and Letterman.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2007, 05:18 PM

I bet you're a Conan fan.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 05:19 PM

I bet you're a Romosexual.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2007, 07:26 PM

That's it, I'm changing my sig. I'm NOT a "Romosexual."

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
Vick sentenced to 23 months for dogfighting - CNN.com

I hope he makes a good bitch for someone
I kinda doubt that a former NFL football player is gonna be anyone's bitch in prison.

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 07:56 PM

unless he want to be

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2007, 08:34 PM

Who cares. He is an average QB with an above average stupidity level. He is finished. No camp in 09 for more than minimum salary. And even if he made the most miraculous comeback in history over the next 10 seasons, no convicted felon is going in the Hall. Period. No jobs in a booth. No endorsement deals. He will be like OJ. Setting up card tables to charge for autographs in corners at card shows.

It's over. 12m or 33m. Makes no difference.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 09:14 PM

Are you kidding me?

Of course he's going to come back and play football. And he's going to be damn good at it too. There's almost no risk for a team to offer him a contract. If he works out, great... if not, the team is just out a few hundred grand. No biggie. I mean, hell, if a bum like Ricky Williams can come back and play for the Dolphins I think that Mike Vick will be fine.

One thing is for sure: He's done playing QB. When (not if) he comes back he will be playing running back. All he's going to do for the next 18-23 months is get stronger and faster when he's in prison so he's going to report to some team's camp in the best (and healthiest) shape of his life.

People's memories are short. Here in STL we have a KILLER on our team. Leonard Little killed a woman after a night of drinking. He's still playing because he's damn good at what he does. If Vick is a good player then people won't give a crap about his dogfighting charges.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 10:43 PM

No risk, other then alienating your fan base, right now, that dude is radioactive. Who knows maybe people will calm down, but right now he's persona non-grata.

Also keep in mind, he's not going to be able to train in jail. He's getting older. He was a great athlete but not a great quarterback. He'll be well into his 30's w/o even so much as practicing.

At least Ricky didn't kill, torture and abuse animals, what vick did was disgusting.

I think Vick will have a better shot in the CFL, then in the NFL.

Finally everyone is assuming the commish will list his suspension in 09, that's a huge if. Only time will tell if will be allowed to play, if a team will be willing to give him a chance and finally if his skill (from lack of use and age) has not eroded

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Who cares. He is an average QB with an above average stupidity level. He is finished. No camp in 09 for more than minimum salary. And even if he made the most miraculous comeback in history over the next 10 seasons, no convicted felon is going in the Hall. Period. No jobs in a booth. No endorsement deals. He will be like OJ. Setting up card tables to charge for autographs in corners at card shows.

It's over. 12m or 33m. Makes no difference.

I can't believe people compare the brutal murder of two humans with dog fighting. Both are horrific, but they are both at very very different levels.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 04:09 PM

That and has yet to prove he's as good an actor.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I can't believe people compare the brutal murder of two humans with dog fighting. Both are horrific, but they are both at very very different levels.
Definitely, while I don't condone what vick did, but what OJ did was so evil on so many levels.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2007, 11:54 AM

What O.J. did = 100x what Vick did, if not more.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2007, 06:50 PM

I was watching I am Legend last night and decided anytime someone feels bad about dogs they should be allowed to kick Vick in the nuts. And be given a dollar for their trouble.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules