Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet?

Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet? (Page 2)
Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2006, 12:52 PM

French customers whose machines were supposed to have shipped yesterday have received emails saying that they won't ship until 28 February arriving 3 March.

Surely Apple will update the website with battery life information as soon as they've got enough production models to start testing. The fact that they don't have the results, suggests to me that they aren't running off the lines yet.

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 8, 2006, 01:43 PM

Most of the issue is due to pent up demand, especially for this processor set. Dell isn't even set to ship these yet, neither are most companies.

The best part is, mid-quarter 2006 Intel opens 3 new factories which will increase their output by 8x. Demand for the processors will be met before July when the new versions come out.

There will actually be new processors available in march-may, which if you have the balls you can buy off pricewatch.com and switch them out in your macbook pro. They 64bit portable processors are pin-for-pin compatible with the current processors in the macbook pro and will be 100% upgradable ;-)

Originally Posted by phoenix78
I reckon that intel having a hard time meeting demand for the core duo chips may have some merit.

My speculation is based on an article i read that the core duo chip had an unusually high amount of bugs (design flaws/errors)... the highest known errors of any of their processors released to the public. so i doubt intel will be manufacturing such huge amounts at this early stage in its lifecycle, hence limited suply. I would guess that production wil be kept smallish until they iron out the errors to a much smaller amount.

this is my speculation so dont take it as a truth

Delays also has to do with the assembly companies that build the entire unit and put it together... so it is not just about intel...

cheers,
robM

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 8, 2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by cms
I ordered two of these -- higher-spec models, no modifications -- on January 11th. For about the last 2 weeks, my order status has been showing a ship date of February 15th, with an estimated delivery date of the 17th. I called Apple today and was told they were on target to ship as scheduled and could even arrive on the 16th as they are shipping from the midlands. We shall see......
That's weird as I live in London and they have an estimated ship-delivery time of a week. Even so, the site still says it'll ship on the 10th. I guess it can't arrive on the 11th as that's a Saturday though! Maybe they are just leaving plenty of time just incase they upset customers if deliveries are delayed.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by John123
Ever heard of hype? Marketing? Go to the Apple web site now. Go to the store. Look at when they are shipping. 3-4 weeks, which is brand new. Not exactly way behind...

Are you kidding me? Investors look at all kinds of stuff - rational and irrational. Have you never studied stock market behavior? Expected demand is most certainly one thing many investors consider. You need some economics background before you go on the lecture circuit with a diatribe on share prices.
Buddy, I am not the one that said they would be likely to have shortage of MBP's or that their 2nd quarter is not looking to be very strong. Both Apple's COO and CFO said that. I just relayed it. As well as relayed that Apple's share prices are falling due to their less than enthusiastic 2nd Quarter outlooks.

Pull your head out of your ass and pick up a damn paper. The Wall Street Journal would be a good start
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
Pull your head out of your ass and pick up a damn paper. The Wall Street Journal would be a good start
I graduated at the top of my class from a top-10 university. I'm quite confident in my skill set, particularly on economics and econometrics. Nice try, though.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

luvaboi217
Feb 8, 2006, 03:28 PM

not sure if this has been mentioned or not, I havent checked this thread lately. But Apple's Store site has shipping for the Macbook pro as 3-4 weeks. Guess that means we might see the first macbooks shipping any day now.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by luvaboi217
not sure if this has been mentioned or not, I havent checked this thread lately. But Apple's Store site has shipping for the Macbook pro as 3-4 weeks. Guess that means we might see the first macbooks shipping any day now.
Agreed. I see this as a very positive development, because it means that new orders are not lagging as much as the initial orders. 3-4 weeks from now is March 1st through 8th, and that ain't a heck of a lot later than "February" which is what it's said for some time now.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Most of the issue is due to pent up demand, especially for this processor set. Dell isn't even set to ship these yet, neither are most companies.

The best part is, mid-quarter 2006 Intel opens 3 new factories which will increase their output by 8x. Demand for the processors will be met before July when the new versions come out.
I doubt availablity of parts from Intel is a problem; the iMacs are using the same chips and shipping without delays.

Lazaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 04:51 PM

I doubt availablity of parts from Intel is a problem; the iMacs are using the same chips and shipping without delays.
I thought they were using a Low Voltage version of the chip used in the intel iMacs.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2006, 04:57 PM

I cancelled my order. I'm a bit nervous about the battery life issue, and the delay really made me second guess the whole thing. Plus, the lack of a dual-layer burner made me think this was a bad idea.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lazaro
I thought they were using a Low Voltage version of the chip used in the intel iMacs.
There is no evidence supporting this theory.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by starman
I cancelled my order. I'm a bit nervous about the battery life issue, and the delay really made me second guess the whole thing. Plus, the lack of a dual-layer burner made me think this was a bad idea.
I think that dual layer discs are too expensive...

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2006, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by zanyterp
what type of full reports are you looking for HazelGirl? This way we can fully meet your expectation...after the new 'books arrive.
Just tell me....I mean, us.....what kind of battery life you get, from begining to end starting from a fully charged battery, after doing your normal routine. Also indicate what the routine was, like if you were web surfing or doing processor heavy stuff. I like having my own guinea pigs! I shall get either a rev B or rev C "macbookpro"---bleh, what a name!

Have fun with your new toys, boys.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

loh
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2006, 05:56 PM

Decided on getting a 1.83 config, still waiting on my tax return so I havent ordered yet, but it should be getting deposited any day now. Now my decision, macbook pro should be in stores by the end of next week. Do I get the stock config at the store, or order the 7200rpm drive and wait 3-4 weeks?
PowerMac Dual 867 - 1 GB Ram - Studio Display - 20 GB Ipod

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 06:03 PM

I'm sure that dual layer will join the product over its lifecycle. If you need dual layer that badly, you can get a drive for less than $50 you could drop into an external case.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2006, 06:04 PM

Waiting, waiting...

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by John123
I graduated at the top of my class from a top-10 university. I'm quite confident in my skill set, particularly on economics and econometrics. Nice try, though.
What do you think you know more about Apple's situation than their COO and CFO? nice try egomaniac.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2006, 08:46 PM

all of you guys have issues...lol
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 09:16 PM

The Low Voltage chips don't go up to 1.83Ghz (1.66Ghz max) and I don't think Apple will have a problem with the power budget of the regular chips.

Using the Low Voltage chips for only the slower model would dork with the pricing the pricing, since 1.66Ghz LV ($381 with chipset) is more expensive than 1.83Ghz ($359 with chipset).

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2006, 10:31 PM

I called apple today and they had said that they think the stores will get books for sale likely at the end of the mobth or later. Take that for what its worth. I would also rather buy from the store, since I am going to pay tax anyway.

Originally Posted by loh
Decided on getting a 1.83 config, still waiting on my tax return so I havent ordered yet, but it should be getting deposited any day now. Now my decision, macbook pro should be in stores by the end of next week. Do I get the stock config at the store, or order the 7200rpm drive and wait 3-4 weeks?

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2006, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
What do you think you know more about Apple's situation than their COO and CFO? nice try egomaniac.
Never said I did. Just said some comments might be part of marketing -- and that you lack a fundamental understanding of stock prices. That much was (and is) self-evident. Your non-sequitur comment here makes me continue to wonder about your fundamental understanding of other things. Like English.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

cms
Senior User
Feb 9, 2006, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
That's weird as I live in London and they have an estimated ship-delivery time of a week. Even so, the site still says it'll ship on the 10th. I guess it can't arrive on the 11th as that's a Saturday though! Maybe they are just leaving plenty of time just incase they upset customers if deliveries are delayed.
Yes, that is a little odd. The hardware ships from Leicestershire and will often turn up before 10:00 AM the next day if it ships out before 10:00 PM. But perhaps it takes longer to deliver to a London address -- congestion charge, roadworks, etc. I live in Surrey and have had deliveries from Apple on a Saturday but this depends on your local delivery branch, I think. Anyway, looks like you'll get yours before I get mine. Let us know if it does indeed ship out tomorrow.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 06:10 AM

No they're not.

Why do some people not bother to read through a thread and rather just drop a turd post at the end? Why do you think others should waste their time responding to the same question several times instead of you just taking your time to actually read what has already been answered?

It's been said on this board about two dozen times already that there is no evidence or any statement neither from Apple nor from Intel that LV Yonah L2xxx chips are being used in any Mac at this time. Where do you guys just come up with these assumptions?

Lazaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
No they're not.

Why do some people not bother to read through a thread and rather just drop a turd post at the end? Why do you think others should waste their time responding to the same question several times instead of you just taking your time to actually read what has already been answered?

It's been said on this board about two dozen times already that there is no evidence or any statement neither from Apple nor from Intel that LV Yonah L2xxx chips are being used in any Mac at this time. Where do you guys just come up with these assumptions?
Thank you. You could have just ignored my post, someone before you answered it. Maybe you didn't read it? "Why do some people not bother to read through a thread and rather just drop a turd post at the end?"I guess I can't blame you since I made the same mistake.

Thank you for answering my question mduell. Sorry for not doing my research.

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Why do some people not bother to read through a thread and rather just drop a turd post at the end?
Because that requires effort.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 12:17 PM

I just love it when a noob screws up and then thinks being a wise ass about it is going to do something for his rep.

Originally Posted by tikki
Because that requires effort.
Youbetcha.
IMHO an effort that can be expected. Especially when you're new to this board and haven't contributed squat so far.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 9, 2006 at 12:24 PM. )

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 12:30 PM

Wow, what a bunch of bitchy old women...

How about getting back on topic? zOne81 or anybody else see something other than "Not yet shipped"?

Higuchem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 12:44 PM

I was on the phone with apple tech support for I had a question on Dual channel memory and if you need to have the same ram from the same company (pair ram cards) or can you mix or match. The tech thought I already had the MBP with already. I should of asked why and i they are already shipping them out. I just found it to be interesting.

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 9, 2006, 12:57 PM

Not yet, no. Tomorrow is the new estimated ship date, so I'll get back to you about it then (or before if I'm really lucky!)
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 01:23 PM

Not yet, no. Tomorrow is the new estimated ship date, so I'll get back to you about it then (or before if I'm really lucky!)

*waits in anticipation*

t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 08:02 PM

Is it tomorrow yet? :-)
( Last edited by t_hah; Feb 9, 2006 at 08:27 PM. )

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 9, 2006, 08:21 PM

10th of February, my friend! 10th!

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 08:50 PM

You're killing me!

Every time I get a notification of an e-mail from apple (notified via msn messenger) I get excited and then realize that shipping confirmations don't come just from "Apple". Wishful thinking that the macbook would ship already

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 9, 2006, 10:04 PM

First of all these "bugs" have no effects on the users whatsoever, microcode is used to "fix" them. Not only that of the 37 listed 60% of them only can be access in debug mode, a MODE which you will never ever enter.

Let me put it in perspective for you.

Errata on Currently shipping chips (this information is publically available, and I got it from motorola, AMD, and Intel"

AMD 64bit chip: 346 bugs
G4 In most powerbooks: 193 bugs
G5 towers: 410 bugs (the most errata in any shipping chip)
Intel duel core : 37 bugs.

Originally Posted by NetJunkie
All chips have bugs, they care called "Errata". They are almost never fixed "on die". They get fixed via updated microcode that you can do to any modern computer. Many times these bugs are just avoided by changes to compilers. These won't slow them down on production. Ohter chips have had more errata with no problems. The only reason this was news was because it is Apple's first Intel chip so anything tied to Apple is hyped up.

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 9, 2006, 10:05 PM

also none of your powerbooks should really be shipping tomorrow, Apple quietly increased the ship time by 3 weeks on 95% of the orders. good luck.

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 10:25 PM

also none of your powerbooks should really be shipping tomorrow, Apple quietly increased the ship time by 3 weeks on 95% of the orders. good luck.
When was this?

clbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 10:40 PM

I'm OK with that, as long as the MacBooks are shipping on time.

by the way,
http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...t=12783&page=4

"Well I called Apple and it wasn't good news. The website still says it will ship today but they told me that it was unlikely it would and that it would be delayed. The woman actually said ALL MacBook orders have been pushed back by about one week.

Why do they wait until the very day it's supposed to ship before letting you know about a delay? They must have known they wouldn't make this ship date for a couple of days at least.

EDIT: Just checked the website and now my order says it will ship by the 10th."

So, the week delay ended up being only 3 days (supposedly). And...

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...t=12783&page=5
"just got a call from apple today.... they are now shipping both mine out so it arrives on or before the 15th in NC...... they did even more than i asked them"

I am skeptical about inkhead's 3 week delay claim because they just recently changed the store to reflect a 3 week delivery on orders placed right now. I doubt people who placed their orders on the day of the announcement will get theirs at the same time as those ordering today.
( Last edited by clbell; Feb 9, 2006 at 10:53 PM. )

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 10:56 PM

Mine still shows shipping 2/15 and arriving 2/21
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by clbell
I am skeptical about inkhead's 3 week delay claim because they just recently changed the store to reflect a 3 week delivery on orders placed right now. I doubt people who placed their orders on the day of the announcement will get theirs at the same time as those ordering today.
Agreed -- I've seen nothing to corroborate this. Everything appears more or less on schedule.
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2006, 09:25 AM

I guess some folks that had an estimated shipping date of 2/7 got pushed out to today. I am eagerly awaiting information on whether the MBP actually ships today or if the date gets pushed out again. I am going to bet the date gets pushed out to early next week.

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 10, 2006, 09:47 AM

Well my ship date just changed from the 10th of February to the 10th of March.
Lovely...

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2006, 09:52 AM

Lovely...
Oh no, a guy over in this forum said the same thing:
http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...t=12783&page=6

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2006, 10:07 AM

Lovely...

That sucks. This means all of us with estimated shipping dates of 2/15 will probably get pushed out to at least 3/15. I checked my status and for now it is still 2/15 but I am sure that will change on or before 2/15.

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 10:17 AM

Can't say I didn't see that one coming. Mine is still 2/15, and even though I know its coming, I am going to be unbearable as soon as i see that ship date change. :-)

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 10:47 AM

As before, 2/15 ship and 2/21 delivery are still my dates. I hope they don't wait until 2/15 and push out to 3/15! Waiting until the estimated date and then moving it isn't much fun. ...good to see another Indiana person

RickerOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 10:47 AM

Mine still 2/15 - when did you all order?

--rick

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2006, 10:54 AM

I don't buy it. The online store still states 3-4 weeks shipping for new orders. That would imply that everyone that has ordered in the past month will have theirs shipped at the same time as someone who orders now. That's some serious stockpiling.

Mine still says ship on 2/15 and deliver 2/23. I ordered on 1/11.
I'm guessing there is some weird glitch in the UK system since both people reporting this delay are in the UK.

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2006, 12:17 PM

Mine says 2/15

I ordered it on the 19th

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Feb 10, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
Well that's an interesting comment, considering Intel does not make a 1.83GHz low voltage Core Duo chip.

See for yourself here: http://intel.com/products/processor/coreduo/index.htm
Just click on the "View Specification Chart" link under Product Information.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...roadmap_q1_06/

the Register says otherwise

Originally Posted by The Register
....these parts are likely to come sooner rather than later, probably in Q1.
Ditto the low-voltage Core Duo L2500 - also clocked to 1.83GHz...
as for my Intel PowerMacBook Pro Core Duo...

MBPRO 15/1.83 CTO
1GB 667 DDR2- 1 SO-DIMM
100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600-256M
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card&BT

Ship: Feb 24, 2006
delivery: Mar 3, 2006

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol
As before, 2/15 ship and 2/21 delivery are still my dates.
ditto. ordered on the 13th, i believe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules