Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Behold the CatGenie Cat Box!!!

Behold the CatGenie Cat Box!!!
abe
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 11:08 PM

Never touch, smell, or buy cat litter again. Introducing CatGenie Cat Box.
The only automatic cat box that flushes away waste
and, like a cat, washes itself clean.

* CatGenie uses permanent Washable Granules that never need changing
* For your cats, it's like using a clean box of cat-comfy, normal-size cat box filler
* For you, CatGenie works like a modern washing-drying, cat toilet appliance
* After a one-time, simple DIY hook up to water, you're set
* Push a button or preset CatGenie Cat Box to start automatically
* Used and recommended by veterinarians, nationwide
* What does CatGenie cost?
CatGenie - The World's Only Self-Flushing, Self Washing Cat Box

This looks GREAT!!!!

An even better gadget for maintaining your pet than the PetSpa!
petspausa.com
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Cold Warrior
Nov 13, 2007, 11:10 PM

a new low

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
a new low
Well, if you don't like this I guess the only alternative to the smell and mess and hassle of the regular cat box is to have Kitty learn to straddle the human toilet and flush afterwards.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Cold Warrior
Nov 13, 2007, 11:55 PM

I wish I could flush this thread

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I wish I could flush this thread
Be sure to wipe your brain really well afterwards.

Atomic Rooster
Nov 14, 2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by abe View Post

* Used and recommended by veterinarians, nationwide

This looks GREAT!!!!
Well if its used by veternarians I guess it's good enough for cats.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2007, 10:14 AM

Actually the automated cat box concept is only good in the mind of the designer-who doesn't own cats. The first time that machine starts moving while the cat is watching, the cat is going to permanently give up on the scary box! Seriously, if you take care of the thing daily (and you don't have way too many cats for the number of boxes you have), then there's no problem. Using a good quality litter means no smells (I have people over all the time and they don't smell the box, even if they don't have cats themselves), and not much of a hassle. And scoopable litter reduces the "yuck" factor by quite a bit.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 10:35 AM

Whatever happen to cats using the toilet like everyone else?

++ on ghporter - cats will run from this.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 11:26 AM

You can put a roof on it, then it would be a cathouse!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 11:56 AM

We tried one of those automatic poop scooping boxes and it was more trouble then it was worth.

Changing out the poo-container was just as much of a hassle as changing a regular litter box. It would always get clogged up and stuck too. Not worth the hassle.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 11:58 AM

I'd use it for toddlers.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 12:02 PM

Be sure to wipe your brain really well afterwards.
OH that was actually quiet clever. I actually giggled a bit.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 12:03 PM

Cats won't run from it. You sound like people that have never had cats. When Uno was alive, this stuff didn't phase him. I had a Litter Robot that rotated on these big gears, and he never batted an eye. Further, I could literally vacuum him and he'd roll around, loving it.

All of our other cats have been the same.

So, a few are little wussies that get scared of things, but most won't be startled by it once they know what it's doing.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 12:28 PM

Actually, after checking out the site, this looks like a pretty damn good idea.

I wonder how well it actually works.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 12:36 PM

I was reading some reviews on Amazon... Most of them are very positive, but I came across this one which I really liked. Pretty funny stuff.

Cat Genie takes the small unpleasantness of daily cleaning the litter and it saves it up and releases that unpleasantness as one big unscheduled, unpleasant inconvenience every week or two. Advanced monitors will ensure that the device failure will occur during the workday, as you prepare for your important meeting with your prospective client. Nothing like cleaning out wet cat poo in your nicest suit. Or, you may be pleasantly awoken in the middle of the night by the repeating three beeps of "there's poo and hair in the hopper." You will become more familiar with your cat's feces every day as the cat genie gently fills your home with the aroma of baking excrement. Plus, you get to pay over $300 for technology that was "designed" and built for less than $2. The "processor" unit was designed in 1967 and allows all the functionality of the most advanced microchip devices of its era. It has both on and off modes. (Note: off mode available only while unplugged.)

Actually, the real reason for the high cost of the device is to cover the costs of all the customer support that they must provide and to cover the costs of all of the returned units. The question is not IF, but WHEN you will find yourself hunched over your cat's feces floating in a pool of fetid water, picking small plastic pellets out of the opaque, pungent water with your fingers so that you can get the device put back together.

And your cats will thank you by depositing their love bundles beside the machine that's half filled with water and beeping away forlornly if you happen to be away when it fails.

We have three cats, they had no trouble adjusting to the machine over about a week. The small plastic pellets getting everywhere in the house is not really any big deal. Roomba takes care of most of them well. We've now had the machine for three months. We received a replacement base last week for a leaky drain hose. We've called their customer service line enough times that we now know the "secret" diagnostic techniques of their experts. We don't know if we're going to keep it or return it. If we keep it, we're definitely going to install an exhaust fan in the laundry room, and set it to a timer to go when the unit is on. For some reason there are little bits of poo that fall between the tines of the hopper, and they get slow baked every time the unit dries itself. The stench is really outstanding. It's hard to describe. I'm a doctor, and I've rarely ever smelled anything so bad.

My recommendation is to wait for the next generation cat sanitation solution. That device will need to be a complete redesign to solve the myriad of problems with this unfortunate device. To say something positive, the customer support line is manned by kind, well-meaning kids who really do feel badly that you're having a hard time with your mechanical poo soup maker.

If you do buy this device, get some thick rubber gloves and a couple of towels that you won't use for anything else.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Cats won't run from it. You sound like people that have never had cats. When Uno was alive, this stuff didn't phase him. I had a Litter Robot that rotated on these big gears, and he never batted an eye. Further, I could literally vacuum him and he'd roll around, loving it.

So, a few are little wussies that get scared of things, but most won't be startled by it once they know what it's doing.
I think it depends on the cat. There ARE cats that are weirded out about were they do their business. And it has to be a safe place. Preferably "hidden"

Our cat would probably never use said device above. But she likes to poop outside for the most part.

During the beginning of the winter we ALWAYS have problems with the small field mice trying to come in out of the cold. And our cat LOVES this time of year. She earns her keep. She'll get a mouse and then make this really obnoxious meow sound so we can let her outside. She didn't train her to do this, she just seems to "know" we don't want them in the house.

She isn't a very personable cat, and pretty much keeps to herself. But she has her days.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 02:29 PM

Incidentally, I bought a new kind of cat litter last night. I'm pumped about trying it out tonight. We'll see if it's any better than what I've been using for the past three years...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'm pumped about trying [the new cat litter] out tonight.
Sentences I never thought I'd see.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 02:40 PM

I've actually been waiting for that sentence all my life. I feel complete now.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 03:51 PM

Incidentally, I bought a new kind of cat litter last night. I'm pumped about trying it out tonight. We'll see if it's any better than what I've been using for the past three years...
i have been too for last week or so. man it clumps nicely. picks up the pee piles in one clump. no fuss, no mess. keeps the odor down too. now at times, kitty doesn't cover it up so before i clean the box, i push some of the litter over it and in a just a few seconds, instant clump. i like it. less litter waste too.

it will be a buy again. Tidy Cats® - Products - Scoopable

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2007, 10:25 PM

MY cats would run from it. I have one that's afraid of (this is absolutely true) ceiling fans. When we turn them off to clean them or reverse them, he freaks clean out. Another is just plain easily spooked, and any sudden noise makes him jump. The kittens don't yet have obvious phobias, but they're cats so it's just a matter of time.

Besides, if I have to clean out the receptacle anyway, why spend the money on the machine?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i have been too for last week or so. man it clumps nicely. picks up the pee piles in one clump. no fuss, no mess. keeps the odor down too. now at times, kitty doesn't cover it up so before i clean the box, i push some of the litter over it and in a just a few seconds, instant clump. i like it. less litter waste too.

it will be a buy again. Tidy Cats® - Products - Scoopable
I've used Tidy Cats scooping for multiple cats and small spaces, and both didn't clump so well. My kitty has this annoying habit of peeing along the front edge of the litter box, so it can't clump as well. I bought the Crystals Blend to see if (a) it clumps better and (b) it controls odor better. I'm sick of smelling cat pee all the time.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Nov 15, 2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
You can put a roof on it, then it would be a cathouse!
Only if the roof is made of hot tin.

I don't know about the product originating this thread. But the LitterMaid works pretty well.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
That's pretty funny!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
OH that was actually quiet clever. I actually giggled a bit.
Thanks Kevin!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 12:56 AM

What I was thinking, too!

Do cool owners transfer that coolness to their cats?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Montezuma58 View Post
Only if the roof is made of hot tin.

I don't know about the product originating this thread. But the LitterMaid works pretty well.

Love the image of the Kitty reading the paper while sitting on the 'can.'

And very clever Hot Tin reference!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 01:19 AM

I've used Tidy Cats scooping for multiple cats and small spaces, and both didn't clump so well. My kitty has this annoying habit of peeing along the front edge of the litter box, so it can't clump as well. I bought the Crystals Blend to see if (a) it clumps better and (b) it controls odor better. I'm sick of smelling cat pee all the time.
I wonder if the cats would rather have the smell or not. Or if they even care?

They are scrupulous about scraping and covering, but how could Kitty just squirt where there's no absorbent granules???

What would the payoff be to consistently do it there?

Does Kitty do that even in a completely clean and empty box? Or only when there are clumps farther back that he/she is trying to dodge?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 02:55 AM

I've suddenly noticed that we talk about pee and poop a lot on this board.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2007, 06:00 AM

No, just you.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 09:31 AM

I wonder if the cats would rather have the smell or not. Or if they even care?

They are scrupulous about scraping and covering, but how could Kitty just squirt where there's no absorbent granules???

What would the payoff be to consistently do it there?

Does Kitty do that even in a completely clean and empty box? Or only when there are clumps farther back that he/she is trying to dodge?
Yep. Even if it's completely clean, she does it in the SAME FREAKIN' SPOT. I just cleaned out her box last night and filled it with the new Crystals Blend last night. The texture of the litter is different - the granules are larger and rouder. That didn't seem to bother her, and lo and behold, she peed right in the same front edge area that she always does. The problem is that the litter sticks to the side of the box there, so it's never really clean. I suppose i could start using liners in there...

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2007, 09:54 AM

Yah I always use liners. Makes things easier and less nasty.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 10:49 AM

Holy crap, use liners.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 11:37 AM

My kitty has this annoying habit of peeing along the front edge of the litter box, so it can't clump as well.
We had the same problem, but then I got her a bigger box and the problem is pretty much gone. I think it was that she had been using the same box since she was a couple months old just didn't understand that now that she's bigger she needs more room in the box to avoid making a mess. She even once missed the box entirely and peed on the side of the washing machine...

Which reminds me, I need to go clean the litter box...

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 11:40 AM

i don't use liners either. no biggy for me.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 02:08 PM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2007, 07:15 PM

That looks like something out of the movie se7en...
Joe

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 07:33 PM

Yep. Even if it's completely clean, she does it in the SAME FREAKIN' SPOT. I just cleaned out her box last night and filled it with the new Crystals Blend last night. The texture of the litter is different - the granules are larger and rouder. That didn't seem to bother her, and lo and behold, she peed right in the same front edge area that she always does. The problem is that the litter sticks to the side of the box there, so it's never really clean. I suppose i could start using liners in there...
I'm intrigued with her orientation. (And btw, what is 'rouder?' Do they sing or speak in Japanese when peed upon?)

It would have to be either she is visually oriented so she would look for the exact same cues before knowing it was time. (Less likely)

Or she is physically attuned to going when she feels the edge of the box on a certain place on her body? (My guess is this one.)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 11:20 PM

Errr....rounder.

So far the new litter is a smashing hit. My litterbox smells clean, and this litter clumps better and dehydrates/absorbs the pee much better - no more wet clumps that are impossible to scoop without breaking into eleventy million little pieces that are too small for the scoop. Hopefully I'll be as happy with my purchase in another week...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 10:33 PM

I use this automatic cat box. My cat seems to like it (i.e., he uses it). And its easy to change out the litter (comes preloaded in a box - just add a new box and toss the old one).
Scoop Free Automatic Litter Box -- Self Cleaning Litter Box Featuring Fresh Step Crystals

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2007, 05:45 PM

Errr....rounder.

So far the new litter is a smashing hit. My litterbox smells clean, and this litter clumps better and dehydrates/absorbs the pee much better - no more wet clumps that are impossible to scoop without breaking into eleventy million little pieces that are too small for the scoop. Hopefully I'll be as happy with my purchase in another week...
Is that anything like, "she'll be comin roun der Hartz* mountain when she comes?"

And what is Kitty's verdict?

Any changes?

*- Hartz� Holiday Gift Guide | Cats

hart
Senior User
Nov 18, 2007, 10:07 AM

I've been ignoring this thread for days but now I can't resist talking about cat poop.

I now have 7 cats (yikes!) and 4 cat boxes so I've become highly familiar with the process. Some cats are neurotic, some aren't. I have four different kinds of boxes to appeal to different kinds of cats, some with lids, some without. We have one who will only go in the basement in the dark (box #1.) He's a total scaredy cat and would probably spend a week under a piece of furniture if the cat box started moving. The kittens would probably play with it. But overall I don't think they'd like a moving box. And the digging and covering is a deep instinct. Anyway, if you have to clean it out anyway what have you gained?

major cat box tip: I just use whatever scoopable Costco is selling in bulk but I also buy baking soda and throw in a cup or so to mix in with the litter. Highly effective at absorbing odor and cheaper and less smelly than the cat box deoderizer Arm & Hammer actually sells.

Now that I have added my two cents to this momentous discussion I think I better go back to work.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
major cat box tip: I just use whatever scoopable Costco is selling in bulk but I also buy baking soda and throw in a cup or so to mix in with the litter. Highly effective at absorbing odor and cheaper and less smelly than the cat box deoderizer Arm & Hammer actually sells.
Now that sounds like a good idea. Too bad I just let my Costco membership lapse.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
I've been ignoring this thread for days but now I can't resist talking about cat poop.

I now have 7 cats (yikes!) and 4 cat boxes so I've become highly familiar with the process. Some cats are neurotic, some aren't. I have four different kinds of boxes to appeal to different kinds of cats, some with lids, some without. We have one who will only go in the basement in the dark (box #1.) He's a total scaredy cat and would probably spend a week under a piece of furniture if the cat box started moving. The kittens would probably play with it. But overall I don't think they'd like a moving box. And the digging and covering is a deep instinct. Anyway, if you have to clean it out anyway what have you gained?

Now that I have added my two cents to this momentous discussion I think I better go back to work.
Now that I have added my two cents to this momentous discussion I think I better go back to work cleaning four cat boxes.
Sorry, I mean no harm. The opportunity was there and I was unable to resist the temptation. I'm sorry that you made such a great post only to have someone (me) take a dump on it.

Booo on me.

Also, sorry you must work on Sunday.

Is it Sunday in Hartland?

Forum Links
Forum Rules