Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hard-drive free space decreased

Hard-drive free space decreased
Ag3ntS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 05:54 PM

My 1.2 ghz, 12" iBook's 30 GB HD had ~12 gigs of free space minutes ago. I had ripped a DVD to an external hard-drive using DVDBackup and DVD2OneX, and hadn't noticed a difference. I did a second one, and got an error at 96%, at which point I noticed my main HD's free space had decreased to 4.96 GB. I've looked in all the usual places, but haven't been able to find anything that could take that much space; I've even used used Onyx to clear various caches and still nothing.

I've asked this question over at neowin.net as well (http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=278157) and still have nothing. I've tried Techtool Pro 4, and nothing came up as wrong there, I've used Whatsize, and the missing 8 gigs is also missing from that, AKA adding up the used space from Whatsize, adding the virtual RAM and adding the free space result in an 8 gig descrepency in HD's size.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2005, 09:54 AM

Have you tried restarting? That might also reset virtual memory plus potentially clean out left over files from the video opps.

Ag3ntS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 10:00 AM

I've restarted 20 odd times in since it first happened, in the pursuit of following the advice of the people at neowin.net.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2005, 09:43 AM

Try Onyx or similar to get rid of excess cache files? It must be something like this that has eaten up the space..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Ag3ntS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 04:08 PM

What happened to people reading a post before replying? I've stated that I've tried OnyX and got no results.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 05:10 PM

Have you looked for large invisible files, using 'Find'?

J

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 05:15 PM

Try downloading Omnidisksweeper and using it to look for large files.

lord vader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 02:58 AM

I have a 12" iBook 30gig HD and was ripping movies to an external drive when i noticed the same thing, now i am down to 100megs of HD space.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 06:30 AM

I second OmniDiskSweeper - it is a free download from the Omni Website. Check out a few of their other great products as well while you are there.

I believe that OSX makes a copy of the file on your drive before it copies it to an external source. I never do this personally and this is from memory, so I could be completely wrong.

Also 100MB is not a good amount of HD space to have. This may cause your machine to experience "difficulties".

Forum Links
Forum Rules