Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can I network an older Epson all-in-one?

Can I network an older Epson all-in-one?
krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2005, 10:15 AM

My wife has an Epson cx5400 all-in-one printer that connects via usb (no ethernet port) to her iBook G4. I want to move the printer into another room to clear up desk space for her, but this would require adding it to our wireless network. Does anyone know how best to do this - or is it even recomended?

(Sorry if you saw this twice. I posted the question earlier in networking but thought maybe that wasn't the right spot...)

werps
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 07:40 PM

I have the cx 5200 and use the Airport Express for wireless printing. I think mine is older than yours. Works great! look at Apple's Sale dept. on the store site for a good price on a refurbished.
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

krx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2005, 10:55 PM

So how did you get your 5200 on airport? Do you have it connected directly to the base station via the usb port, or a print server, or what? It doesn't take a wireless card does it?

werps
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 06:28 PM

Well I am not sure what your wireless network is there, but mine is service by a Snow Airport Base Station. What happens here is that my powerbook or other macs that all have Airport cards
talk to the ABS and the ABS talks to the Airport Express which is ethered to the printer and that is how it works for me. The Airport Express just plugs into a 110 outlet and your printer is conected to the Airport Express by ether. The Express is a nice item. I take it with when I go on the road too and use it as a base station. It also will work with itunes to send your music wirelessly to any speaker system. I guess the Airport Express is like a print server but much more. Check out the Apple site. I am not the best source for answers but it works very well for me and I would very much suggest it for anyone. If you don't have an Airport BASE station as your access point now, I don't know if you can use the Express or not. It might work with any wireless router, not sure? You will have to ck the details out. Again go to the Apple Store and read up on the Express, Good reviews too! Good luck ,,,,,,,werp,,,oh it is only $69.00 for the refurb on Apple.com
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

Forum Links
Forum Rules