Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Pocket PC or Palm

Pocket PC or Palm
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2005, 11:36 PM

I am in the market for a Pocket PC or Palm device. What I want to do is basically store all of my work contacts, maybe check email, etc. My fear is that the Palm OS's days are numbered and the support for the Pocket PC on the Mac is lacking. Any suggestions?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2005, 12:24 AM

Using Missing Sync you can sync with PocketPC devices pretty well. I like the Dell Axims.

With even Palm basing their next smartphone on PocketPC, I feel like PalmOS is a dead platform. Sure some developers will still code for it, but it will become the Amiga or BeOS of the PDA world.
( Last edited by mduell; Dec 29, 2005 at 04:16 AM. )

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 01:31 AM

I prefer Palm. I currently use a Treo 650 and I'm loving it.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2005, 03:36 AM

I prefer Palm over PPC, too. The Palm OS isn't perfect, but it is fast and does a good job syncing with the Mac straight out of the box, though having Missing Sync is a big benefit. With PPC, you absolutely need Missing Sync, or it won't work.

I also have a Treo 650, and it is the bomb. The battery life is great, the phone functions flawlessly, and it integrates with the PDA functions well.

If you want a good deal on a Palm, I'm selling one in the Marketplace, by the way http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=279896 (Sorry, shameless, but hey, I need to money, and it's a great PDA).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2005, 05:04 AM

Count me in. I prefer Palm to PocketPC as well. I use a Treo 600 and I'm fine; battery life, screen and OS stability are all excellent (the only exception is the stupid camera I never use - it really stinks). Palm OS could certainly use some major brushing up (about like OS 9 -> OS X) but it's still sleeker and much more efficient than MS' typical bloatware approach. Plus there's a ton of great free tools around for Palm OS. My Palms have always sync'ed with my Macs out of the box. Something that no Axim or iPaq can say for itself.

IMHO, if it's gotta have phone functionality, get a Treo 650. If not, get a Tungsten TX; it has a great feature set at a moderate price.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2005, 12:18 AM

I prefer Pocket PCs personally. Had a Palm - used it or 3 months and found I never used it. Used a Pocket PC now for 5 years. Use it ALL the time.

Look at the Treo 700w for a device that's got the Palm "Zen" feel and usefulness, but the usability of the Pocket PC.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2005, 02:02 AM

Hey alex,

What is it that prefer about PPC over Palm? I'm really curious because I worry sometimes that Palm isn't long for this world (but then I've been worried about the Mac for years, too), and I wonder what life would be like "over there." I used a PPC for about a month 4 years ago or so, and it just didn't move me off of Palm.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:26 AM

My Treo 650 is great!

Forum Links
Forum Rules