Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > File-Open-Column View?

File-Open-Column View?
addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2002, 02:15 PM

I have now succesfully migrated to Jaguar and am Quite happy with it except that my HP PSC 2210 does not work but that's a different story.

What I would like to find out is that is there a way to change the default column view when u try to open a file from any application?

For Eg: I select File-Open from MS Word and I get a Column view File select Dialog. Can that be changed to Icon View. I hate column view.

I'd appreciate any help
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2002, 07:16 PM

As far as I know, no, you cannot change the open/save dialogues to a different view.

pooka
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2002, 09:34 PM

No you can not and this really freakin' sucks poo. Send feedback to Apple. Make sure you tell them that column view is asstastic for open/save dialogs.

K++
Senior User
Oct 15, 2002, 01:19 PM

No its not, in my opinion the column view is the best view for OPen/Save. Its Hierachy aware so you can't lose your file since you can see the path to it. you get a previews, you get a listing view and with preview of the selected document, you can get the pertinent statistics on file size and such.

snerdini
Senior User
Oct 15, 2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by K++:
No its not, in my opinion the column view is the best view for OPen/Save. Its Hierachy aware so you can't lose your file since you can see the path to it. you get a previews, you get a listing view and with preview of the selected document, you can get the pertinent statistics on file size and such.
I agree, but the Open/Save dialogs need some work, at least for Carbon apps. I personally would continue to use the column view to open a file, but I think the option should be there to switch to list or icon view.

manfreds
Oct 15, 2002, 01:39 PM

No its not, in my opinion the column view is the best view for OPen/Save.
It's just that: your opinion. Other people might prefer other views.

Being able to see files in different subfolders at the same time is a good reason for list view for example.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

pooka
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 10:58 PM

In my opinion it is the absolute worst view for open/save dialogs. Not only the worst but also completely useless when trying to dig through huge directories with long file names. At the very least give us the option to sort by date modified. And if they get the time maybe they could fix the broken keyboard support in Carbon apps.

K++
Senior User
Oct 16, 2002, 03:38 AM

the ability to sort by date modified is a welcome feature, but for folders with long filenames use option and resize teh Open/Save dialog. Personally I prefer this view and my only qualms are the wierd things it does when used in carbon apps and the fact that the path doesn't change as you go through the fs. Sure you can always type in a path directly to the file ( autocomplete would be welcome since tab changes focus ) on a path in it, but they work independently of each other rather than being linked.

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2002, 09:23 AM

Hmmm. Time to send feedback to apple. But where do I do that. Is there a URL?

Also there should be an option to change the view setting. I liked the OS9 dialogue better. Hope we will have it someday
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2002, 10:17 AM

The Open/Save dialogs have just about cured me of any penchant for using open/save dialogs at all anymore.

I mostly use the file icon to launch, or Open Recent... and save everything to the desktop then drag it where I want it from there.

The new open with... contect menu item comes in handy, too.

I've sent apple feedback 3 times, from 3 different ip adresses.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by addiecool:
Hmmm. Time to send feedback to apple. But where do I do that. Is there a URL?
Go to www.apple.com/macosx and click "Feedback" on the right side of the furry-themed navigation bar.

mikebat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2002, 05:34 PM

autocomplete would be welcome since tab changes focus
I read somewhere that hitting F5 works in Cocoa dialogs.
Not sure about Carbon ones tho.

--Mike

pooka
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 09:47 PM

I've complained on several boards about the filenames being truncated in open/save dialogs and someone always tells me to simply option-click on the column seperator. I have found no way to resize columns in any of the applications I use. None. IE, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, TextEdit, Entourage, etc. All columns are fixed width and 90% of them do not respond to the keyboard. This is a pain in the ass. All I would like is the option.

addiecool  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 05:14 AM

Ok feedback sent. Lets hope something works out.

You know I booted in OS9 and surprisingly found it much more user friendly and easy to use. I know OSX is miles ahead in stability and core functions but somehow OS9 felt much smoother.

Though it crashed again and again so I had to get back to 10.2

Lets hope this baby grows more friendlier and easier to use than OS9.
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2002, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by pooka:
I've complained on several boards about the filenames being truncated in open/save dialogs and someone always tells me to simply option-click on the column seperator. I have found no way to resize columns in any of the applications I use. None. IE, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash, TextEdit, Entourage, etc. All columns are fixed width and 90% of them do not respond to the keyboard. This is a pain in the ass. All I would like is the option.
Don't option-click the column separator!

Option-click the dialog's size box (the three stripes at the bottom rigth or the window) and resize the dialog. It works in Cocoa applications only (that is TextEdit in your list).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

cwasko
Senior User
Oct 17, 2002, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Don't option-click the column separator!

Option-click the dialog's size box (the three stripes at the bottom rigth or the window) and resize the dialog. It works in Cocoa applications only (that is TextEdit in your list).
Well, ya learn something new every day...

Although, it is still useless. Now I have O/S dialogs that take up my whole screen becasue both columns are forced to be the same size. I'm all for the 'benefit' of the Column view, however, I find it much harder to work with in the O/S dialogs. List view with information about *all* of the files would be of far greater value.

Column view is great in the Finder, infact, that is what I use about 95% of the time. Very rarely do i have to open more than 1 window to do everything I need. However, since the O/S Dialogs do not have the same functionality as the Finder, it makes them difficult to work with and people actualy avoid them. Like a previous poster stated, I just plain don't touch them now cause they suck so bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules