Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ADC (student or otherwise) delays?

ADC (student or otherwise) delays?
weinmatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 07:18 PM

So, I ordered my 1g/sd at 6 am PST on the 6th... expected 3-4 weeks. Called last week, spoke to someone, they told me week of Dec. 12th... now today spoke to someone, they said the 19th.... anyone else very pissed off right now?

Anyone with insight?

Matt

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2002, 07:33 PM

same thing happened to me. I'm very annoyed.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2002, 09:46 PM

I also ordered through ADC, but not until the 14th. However, when I called today they said it would be shipped by the 13th at the latest... weird. I hope that doesn't mean mine is going to arrive after christmas.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2002, 10:23 PM

why pissed or annoyed? the amount of money you save on the purchase is worth the wait...
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 10:50 PM

I got an employee discount. I'm having to wait five weeks for mine.

prefect
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2002, 12:04 AM

Pissed because why should the orders without a discount get any special priority???

Don't give me this "they paid more" crap...

I am a recent switcher and extremely disappointed in how Apple is handling this.

WE ARE ALL CUSTOMERS!

I mean when you go to a department store or grocery store do they tell customers with coupons to go to the back of the line???

NO......

I don't think Apple is in a position to be upsetting the small percentage of the personal computer market they have.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2002, 12:10 AM

I disagree with you. When it comes to supply and demand, you want to get the products to the people who pay the most for it first. With the high demand, you must work hard to satisfy the demand before it weakens. To do that, you must supply the highest bidder first until the supply is ample enough to ship to everyone on time.

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2002, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by buffalolee:
I disagree with you. When it comes to supply and demand, you want to get the products to the people who pay the most for it first. With the high demand, you must work hard to satisfy the demand before it weakens. To do that, you must supply the highest bidder first until the supply is ample enough to ship to everyone on time.
While your Econ101 info is correct, you miss one key point. ADC is for Apple developers. These are critical to Apple's future. If I were Apple I would work as hard as possible to keep the developers happy because happy developers will further the platform.

Having said that, I went and bought my Powerbook from the local Apple store this evening, because I decided screw it, I'll use the discount on the next computer I buy. And, they had it in stock.

Oh, and now I'm very happy.

garrontmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2002, 12:36 AM

I am seriously thinking about switching to osx. I'm currently using linux and the unix base is pulling me towards the os. I am a student and have a tight budget. I'm thinking about becoming a member of the student ADC thing. Can someone tell me what type of discount I could get on an ibook 800 combo or a powerbook 867?

Thanks,
Garron

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by garrontmo:
I am seriously thinking about switching to osx. I'm currently using linux and the unix base is pulling me towards the os. I am a student and have a tight budget. I'm thinking about becoming a member of the student ADC thing. Can someone tell me what type of discount I could get on an ibook 800 combo or a powerbook 867?

Thanks,
Garron
Hey man!

Yeah, that's why I switched, I love OSX!

you can find info about the discounts here just click on the banner in the middle of the page to get to the ADC Apple Store. They usually give you between 10-20% off. It is a really good deal.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2002, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by off/lang:
While your Econ101 info is correct, you miss one key point...

Having said that, I went and bought my Powerbook from the local Apple store this evening, because I decided screw it, I'll use the discount on the next computer I buy. And, they had it in stock.

Oh, and now I'm very happy.
off/lang: Your behavior further illustrates the point that buffalolee was making. In a market where demand outstrips supply, goods go to the highest bidder. In this case, the highest bidders are the people who are unwilling to wait and are thus willing to walk into a store and pay list price. You did just that, and got your PowerBook without delay. Isn't basic econ fun?

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by escher:

off/lang: Your behavior further illustrates the point that buffalolee was making. In a market where demand outstrips supply, goods go to the highest bidder. In this case, the highest bidders are the people who are unwilling to wait and are thus willing to walk into a store and pay list price. You did just that, and got your PowerBook without delay. Isn't basic econ fun?

Escher
Yeah yeah you're right, but it is still annoying that I had to do that. Anyway, life goes on. Powerbook in lap.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2002, 11:28 AM

Pissed because why should the orders without a discount get any special priority???

I'd gladly wait for a few weeks to pay what you guys paid. If you want, if I get mine before yours I'll let you have mine for what I paid, and when you get yours I'll pay you what you paid. How's that?

weinmatt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2002, 11:50 AM

I dont want my PowerBook first... I just want them to be fair... Send out 'books to all the regular customers who ordered on the 6th, first... thats fine! Even send 20-30 to major resellers... but then give us our 'books. I hate the fact that someone ordering online today, three weeks later, might have a better chance of getting their 'book sooner! That's plain ridiculous.

Matt

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 11:59 AM

what exactly did you guys pay?
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 12:23 PM

i guess i fit into the otherwise category, i used the educational discount and just got a call that its in. i ordered the afternoon of the 6th.

l�k

Originally posted by weinmatt:
So, I ordered my 1g/sd at 6 am PST on the 6th... expected 3-4 weeks. Called last week, spoke to someone, they told me week of Dec. 12th... now today spoke to someone, they said the 19th.... anyone else very pissed off right now?

Anyone with insight?

Matt
iron sharpens iron

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2002, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by lokjah:
i guess i fit into the otherwise category, i used the educational discount and just got a call that its in. i ordered the afternoon of the 6th.

l�k

Yeah, but that is just regular education right? student ADC is different. I ended up just using an education discount.

Congrats on your powerbook! I love mine. It is perfect, even Word runs quickly

zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 05:06 PM

Just to be clear, when you order any kind of new hardware (just released) via ADC it will always be delayed like this. If you aren't ok with this I suggest you pay up to get it faster. (Reasons for this already posted, see econ 101)

And guys, I hope you really are developers, I've heard some talk that Apple may be discontimuing this discount cause of people misusing it. Also rember they do audits for EDU stuff on occation to make sure its all legit. I had to do one a few weeks after I bought FCP3.

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 05:41 PM

There's one point missing from this discussion. I agree if you get a discount that when demand outstrips supply your order may receive less of a priority.

However, in the ADC world there are levels of priority as well. I have paid $500 for the past two years to be an ADC member, and have been rewarded with a single hardware discount key (along with all my other ADC benefits). Others pay thousands of dollars a year (and receive multiple discount keys). Apple is not so much discounting their merchandise as giving developers incentive to join/renew.

Those who join for $99 and save $700 on a laptop are getting a seriously good deal. The probability of Apple gaining real developers from this deal is small, once word gets out on how easy it is.

I would just like Apple to deliver my laptop when promised. If they choose as a business decision to delay mine for another, let me know up front so I can decide. I think they have, and I believe I will receive my laptop in 3-4 weeks from order date as promised.

What if you are an Apple stockholder? Would you prefer Apple to make higher profits? Would you change your position on who has priority?

sunkist
Banned
Nov 28, 2002, 02:49 AM

Any of you ADC buyers had your 1ghz/superdrive ship yet?

-Chris

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2002, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by sunkist:
Any of you ADC buyers had your 1ghz/superdrive ship yet?

-Chris
Nope.
Vandelay Industries

jcjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2002, 03:44 AM

yeah i ordered my Tibook 1Ghz SD on th 12th of November, just got it sent through yesterday 27th November. I bought using my student developer discount, although im in UK..

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2002, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by jcjr:
yeah i ordered my Tibook 1Ghz SD on th 12th of November, just got it sent through yesterday 27th November. I bought using my student developer discount, although im in UK..
I hate you!

I ordered mine on 11/8 at 11am PST.
Vandelay Industries

jindrich
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2002, 01:40 PM

hey a small question,

i'm an european student that's just diying to get the 1ghz Ti, but know what? Here the SD model with 1gig RAM costs US$4360 !!! (well euros in fact, but as they're on parity it equals US$)

i cannot pay that. how do you US students and ADC members get a Ti for around $2500?

can any handsome US student help get a Ti for 2500?
i may give you in return ..a week of summer holidays over here.

i'm serious.

PurdueRPh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2002, 10:45 AM

WAHOO!!

I ordered my powerbook sd on 11-07-02 using the student ADC discount, and I finally received notification of shipment. It shipped 11-29-02.

I can't wait to finally own a Mac.

Joe

Hoosier by birth, Purdue Graduate and Mac lover by the Grace of God.

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2002, 02:42 PM

I just received shipment notification for my PowerBook G4 1 GHz/1 GB/Superdrive which I ordered with ADC Student discount on 11/8. Can't wait for it to arrive!
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

Bierkonig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2002, 02:58 PM

Well, after much waiting, my ADC-discounted 1ghz/1gb/60gb/sd shipped today (10/30 being the taiwanese date?). I called up 2 hrs before my notification e-mail and was informed "by december 6th."

Call me a whiner if you please, but I'M STILL QUITE UNHAPPY:
how is it that my 7:46 AM PST 11/06/02 order is shipping 2-5 days after others similar orders? Giving the friday/weekend shipment, I doubt I'll see it before thursday, and some similar order have RECIEVED their shipment this week. Now it's arriving at a particularly inopertune time, with me going into finals and without even 3 hours to play with it until the last week of december

NO FAIR.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2002, 03:46 PM

My 1GHz/1GB/SD/60GB TiBook shipped today. I ordered it on 11/8 at 11am PST via Student ADC.
Vandelay Industries

DJ Ed White
Nov 29, 2002, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Bierkonig:
Well, after much waiting, my ADC-discounted 1ghz/1gb/60gb/sd shipped today (10/30 being the taiwanese date?). I called up 2 hrs before my notification e-mail and was informed "by december 6th."

Call me a whiner if you please, but I'M STILL QUITE UNHAPPY:
how is it that my 7:46 AM PST 11/06/02 order is shipping 2-5 days after others similar orders? Giving the friday/weekend shipment, I doubt I'll see it before thursday, and some similar order have RECIEVED their shipment this week. Now it's arriving at a particularly inopertune time, with me going into finals and without even 3 hours to play with it until the last week of december

NO FAIR.
Stop bitching. You people would whine if you found out that Apple employees didn't wash their hands before leaving the bathroom... I mean, heck, you're already getting a $600+ discount!

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
My 1GHz/1GB/SD/60GB TiBook shipped today. I ordered it on 11/8 at 11am PST via Student ADC.
Ordered mine several hours earleir (6am CST) on the 8th via ADC and it is stil being assembled. Oh well. Maybe it'll ship out some time this weekend.

cklinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2002, 05:53 PM

Just got an email saying mine shipped. Ordered on 11/6 9:44 PST w/ ADC Student Discount.

1GHZ/SD/1GB/40GB

Whoohoo! Too damn bad I start finals...argh...can't play with it until late December.

weinmatt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2002, 06:35 PM

I am excited, as well, mine shipped!

Waiting to figure out where it is (will it make it out of Taiwan tonight!)

parsec
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2002, 06:46 PM

I just placed my order today. The guy said he had a backorder of about 90 systems, and is supposed to have 30 coming in next week. So he couldn't give me a definite ETA, but thought possibly by the end of Decemeber but maybe not until January
I'm in Canada btw, and this is for the 1gig superdrive

schwank
Nov 29, 2002, 08:00 PM

orderd my 1 gig superdrive on 11/9, and it shipped tomorrow (at least thats what the email says) I cant wait! AAAaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!

accursedcosine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 11:47 AM

Given that I ordered mine through ADC on 11/13, this is encouraging to hear... hopefully it will ship within the next few days.

AC

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2002, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by kiskiboy:

Ordered mine several hours earleir (6am CST) on the 8th via ADC and it is stil being assembled. Oh well. Maybe it'll ship out some time this weekend.
I just got shipping notification!

I see it was sent via airborne express, and it looks like it originated from Elk Grove, CA rather than Taiwan. Hmmm. Should have it Thursday at the VERY latest! Good...I am swamped with school work Tuesday and Wednesday, then I am free until finals start in 2 weeks. Plenty of time to play.

sunkist
Banned
Dec 2, 2002, 10:59 PM

I see it was sent via airborne express, and it looks like it originated from Elk Grove, CA rather than Taiwan. Hmmm. Should have it Thursday at the VERY latest! Good...I am swamped with school work Tuesday and Wednesday, then I am free until finals start in 2 weeks. Plenty of time to play.
If it isn't one thing, its another. I ordered on the 6th via ADC, and its currently sitting in some igloo in Alaska, for the last 2 days. Hope an eskimo doesn't spear it by mistake.

-Chris

accursedcosine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 01:38 AM

When did you order yours?

AC

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by accursedcosine:

When did you order yours?

AC
11/8, so they were pretty much spot-on with the 3-4 week thing.

cklinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 01:34 PM

it's here! it's here! now...i just have to wait til I get off work...

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2002, 08:19 PM

Mine showed up today as well.

--New proud owner of a 1 Ghz Superdrive TiBook, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB HDD.

nerrfhearder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 09:35 PM

Ordered myTi-Superdrive on the 6th at 6:30pm est, with an education discount.....

Have been told it would ship between 12/2 and 12/6.....
nothing yet... getting tired of waiting.... thinking about canceling the order.... I'm not a happy camper...

Nice to see Apple still screwing loyal customers.

CommonSense
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 11:49 PM

Ordered mine November 18. Still in the "Being Assembled" stage.

(sigh)

But it was a little over $600 less than the retail price, so I guess I'll live. And my Pismo and MDD dual 867 will hold me over . . . then they both go onto eBay when the TiBook arrives.

. . . you know . . . *if* it ever arrives.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by CommonSense:
Ordered mine November 18. Still in the "Being Assembled" stage.

(sigh)

But it was a little over $600 less than the retail price, so I guess I'll live. And my Pismo and MDD dual 867 will hold me over . . . then they both go onto eBay when the TiBook arrives.

. . . you know . . . *if* it ever arrives.
Really, going to sell your desktop?

How much?

accursedcosine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2002, 05:29 PM

Well, my credit card was just charged for my 11/13 student ADC order. I assume that means it was released to production.....

woo hoo!

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I got an employee discount. I'm having to wait five weeks for mine.
How much is the employee discount?

rchang713
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 08:08 PM

I noticed my card had been charged on 12/5/02, just got the shipping notificiation email (says it shipped 12/7/02). I ordered SD Tibook through Student ADC program on 11/11/02 and my order went from being reviewed to being assembled the next day. It took 3 weeks and 2 days from my date of ordering to being shipped. At least apple came through on the 3-4 weeks as advertised.

b3b0p
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2002, 12:23 PM

Hello everybody. I am a new switcher and took advantage of my ADC discount as a CS Student also (half way through Junior year). I ordered (Ti 1Ghz SuperDrive w/ ram promotion) on November 25 and it said 2-3 weeks. I called up Apple yesterday (Friday December 6) and they told me scheduled ship date of December 30.

Dang! Kinda bummed but good things happen to those who wait (like this huge ADC Discount I got!).

Cheers,
Chris

accursedcosine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by accursedcosine:
Well, my credit card was just charged for my 11/13 student ADC order. I assume that means it was released to production.....

woo hoo!
And it finally shipped! I can't wait...

AC

sworthy
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 11:20 PM

Purchased 11/14, shipped today (12/7)... should come by wednesday I think?

Forum Links
Forum Rules